Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Break out the large backpack for Spirit travel!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Break out the large backpack for Spirit travel!

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by rtalk25
If WN/FL drops ACY, getting to SFO, SEA and many favorite US destinations will be difficult as NK doesn't fly there, although it's possible to switch carriers at ORD or BOS (although very complicated). Most wouldn't bother and just would fly out of PHL. Maybe NK could get an interline agreement but doubtful, as NK would probably want pax to fly ACY-ORD-LAX than have its pax switch to another carrier to reach LAX.
ACY could really use some more rental-car competition. I've looked into doing trips out there now that Spirit goes there from ATL, but something always seems to spoil the deal.
Old May 23, 2013, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RustyC
ACY could really use some more rental-car competition. I've looked into doing trips out there now that Spirit goes there from ATL, but something always seems to spoil the deal.
Yeah, I could see how that would be a problem. Have you tried any of the "secret" car rental codes from the various forums to get a more competitive rate? BTW, how are taxes at ACY? I would think the local authorities might not have fully realized how to fleece tourists in this regard. ") Taxes are pretty high at PHL and EWR, so maybe this would help compensate for higher base rates.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
So I'm beginning to contemplate the "luggage situation" for my next Spirit flight, which is next month (August) -- the start of their infamous "we're charging for standard carry-ons" policy.

What hasn't gotten much focus is the fact that you're still allowed to bring a pretty large size "square-ish" bag for free: max dimensions 16" by 14" by 12".

It's a somewhat weird size: kind of like a large box. You're not likely to find much standard luggage that fits these dimensions.

But after getting out the tape measure and rummaging through my bags, I've concluded that the large backpack is the solution for the Spirit rules.

We actually dug one of these out for a recent trip on Ryanair which -- prior to the Spirit announcement -- had the stingiest carry-on limits. The backpack we used was actually a little small for Ryanair, but is PERFECT (when stuffed) for the Spirit rules.

FWIW, my wife was able to get about 6 days worth of clothing and toiletries into her 16 x 14 x 12 backpack last time. So it's certainly doable, if you're used to travelling light.

BTW, as a $9 Fare Club member (which you have to be to get Spirit's dirt-cheap fares), you're allowed to check your first 2 bags for $15 each domestically. And you'd get a large 62" bag for that. Pretty reasonable. Carry-ons are $20 for members. But I don't feel like checking bags unless I absolutely have to, and I don't want to pay the $20 for carry-ons. So I'm going to become a Spirit backpacker! I'm sure I won't be alone.
Other uses of these large backpacks are also possible.
Storing bicycle parts and being able to set up right at the destination
Backpacking (like you suggested)
IB/university students.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, I think this route has potential because it links obvious tourist destinations, isn't an easy drive, and the current air service is prohibitively expensive. And we're not even talking just Niagara Falls and Buffalo; we're talking Toronto. Westjet actually tried ACY, but the cross-border taxes are ludicrous on this relatively short hop. Niagara Falls avoids this and isn't very far from Toronto. Spirit seems to have a good understanding of this "fly to the border" concept, so IAG service from ACY wouldn't surprise me someday.
Then why isn't NK serving SEA/BLI?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:52 pm

Getting back to the bag size
Magellan has an under-the-seat rolling tote that looks like exactly the right size for Spirit's dimensions
http://www.magellans.com/getaway-whe...nder-seat-tote
except for one post I read which said that if you have an aisle seat the space underneath is less than the middle or window seat...
meaning you need a smaller bag
And I am always a little leery of the dimensions w/o actually seeing if they measured from the wheels to the tallest part of the top...
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loves2read
Getting back to the bag size
Magellan has an under-the-seat rolling tote that looks like exactly the right size for Spirit's dimensions
http://www.magellans.com/getaway-whe...nder-seat-tote
except for one post I read which said that if you have an aisle seat the space underneath is less than the middle or window seat...
meaning you need a smaller bag
And I am always a little leery of the dimensions w/o actually seeing if they measured from the wheels to the tallest part of the top...
You don't actually need to put the bag under your seat. It just has to fit Spirit's size restrictions. You'll then put it in the overhead bin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.