Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Break out the large backpack for Spirit travel!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Break out the large backpack for Spirit travel!

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by frugal_flyer

I LOVE the fact that ACY is a major point of focus for Spirit. But Atlantic City is a destination unto itself, not just an alternative airport for Philadelphia.
I wonder why NK hasn't considered ACY-IAG, atleast seasonal. When IAG was launched, ACY wasn't a route for it. A lot of people in New Jersey, esp. immigrants, are attracted to Niagara Falls, and IAG can serve as a gateway into Buffalo and Toronto. ACY would be a shore destination for BUF if they are interested.

Also PHL-BUF fares on WN and US are ridiculous, with WN routing pax through MDW.

It's actually cheaper flying WN PHL-BOS, and switching to a B6 BOS-BUF flight, than flying one carrier on PHL-BUF. Or, driving up to JFK (a big ordeal), or backtracking to BWI might work. MegaBus does Philadelphia to Buffalo in 8 hours without a stop in NYC.

I also think NK should do an AM ACY-BOS. Throughout most of the year, NK just runs 1 flight in the afternoon. In the summer, NK has two flights, but the early one is a late AM flight.

An early AM flight would be ideal for SJ residents who want the convenience to park at ACY, and might traveling for business to Boston. One can also experience a full day in Boston this way. Also one could switch to a real carrier at BOS like VX or B6 for west connections.

If WN/FL drops ACY, getting to SFO, SEA and many favorite US destinations will be difficult as NK doesn't fly there, although it's possible to switch carriers at ORD or BOS (although very complicated). Most wouldn't bother and just would fly out of PHL. Maybe NK could get an interline agreement but doubtful, as NK would probably want pax to fly ACY-ORD-LAX than have its pax switch to another carrier to reach LAX.
Old May 15, 2011, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by HRDiva
I have had no issue just throwing my bag in the overhead. No one stopped me and no one knew whether or not I was entitled to a carry-on (I was).
One is actually asked to do that if they get a first row seat. I had to stow my backpack in the overhead bin. Once one boards the plane, it doesn't matter if a backpack is above or not.
Old May 15, 2011, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by rtalk25
I wonder why NK hasn't considered ACY-IAG...
They need more planes. They can only do so much with the limited number they have now. New deliveries are coming.
Old May 15, 2011, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rtalk25
I wonder why NK hasn't considered ACY-IAG, atleast seasonal. When IAG was launched, ACY wasn't a route for it. A lot of people in New Jersey, esp. immigrants, are attracted to Niagara Falls, and IAG can serve as a gateway into Buffalo and Toronto. ACY would be a shore destination for BUF if they are interested.
Yeah, I think this route has potential because it links obvious tourist destinations, isn't an easy drive, and the current air service is prohibitively expensive. And we're not even talking just Niagara Falls and Buffalo; we're talking Toronto. Westjet actually tried ACY, but the cross-border taxes are ludicrous on this relatively short hop. Niagara Falls avoids this and isn't very far from Toronto. Spirit seems to have a good understanding of this "fly to the border" concept, so IAG service from ACY wouldn't surprise me someday.
Old May 17, 2011, 1:57 pm

rtalk25... If the rumors on airliners.net from a few months ago are to believed, NK will start service to SEA, SFO, STL, and MSY in late summer or early fall. The other cities that were listed on the site (EL Salvador, Toluca, MX, Niagara Falls, Latrobe, Plattsburgh, Charleston, WV, etc.) have all come online as stated.

As iahphx mentioned, the only stumbling block that would keep the other cities from coming online the Spirit route network would be the horrible fuel costs. But should it happen, I would think the announcement would be forthcoming very soon, since Spirit seems to like announcing new cities about three months before the routes actually commence flying.

HRDiva... I hope NK is getting lots of new planes because there seems to be so much potential routewise for the airline! IAG-ACY, as mentioned, seems to be a no-brainer to me, too.

Although I peruse the Southwest forum, it seems it will be awhile before anybody *besides Gary Kelley* knows what will happen with the smaller FL markets (ACY) or overserved SWA/FL markents (CLE and CAK, for example).
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:07 am

Personal Item

I'm planning to fly Spirit at the end of this month and do not plan on carrying anything else on than a regular Jansport backpack, nothing special to it. Should I be fine? And plan to have only that(like not that and a purse)?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:38 pm

You should be fine JLynnZ. You represent what they are trying to do. Board and deplane quickly!

And you can have a purse and a backpack if they fit under the seat (I think--others can verify).

Have a great flight!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JLynnZ
I'm planning to fly Spirit at the end of this month and do not plan on carrying anything else on than a regular Jansport backpack, nothing special to it. Should I be fine? And plan to have only that(like not that and a purse)?
I can't imagine a "regular" backpack would exceed the limits, but the smart thing to do is take 1 minute and measure it against the limits:

http://spirit.custhelp.com/app/answe...VlpobUZ2R2s%3D

BTW, Spirit's website now seems to bury the fact that small carry-ons are free! These guys are so crafty in trying to squeeze an extra buck out of their pax that it makes me queasy.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:21 am

Thumbs up Spirit Personal Bag - found a good one

I could easily fit 7 days worth of summer clothes and toiletries into this smooshable bag. Hard kick and it fit under Spirit's seats. Plus this company is great about their warranty.

http://women.duluthtrading.com/store...tes/37520.aspx

Officially the bag is like 16 x 8.5 x 17 but loaded it is nearly exactly 16x14x12 and fits right into the "personal item" template at the Spirit terminal.

Downside - no shoulder strap. I took a nice strap from another bag and hooked the handholds. Worked perfectly. Technically it's a women's bag but it comes in 2 man colors also. Happy hunting.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JonnyJumpsuit
I could easily fit 7 days worth of summer clothes and toiletries into this smooshable bag. Hard kick and it fit under Spirit's seats. Plus this company is great about their warranty.

http://women.duluthtrading.com/store...tes/37520.aspx

Officially the bag is like 16 x 8.5 x 17 but loaded it is nearly exactly 16x14x12 and fits right into the "personal item" template at the Spirit terminal.

Downside - no shoulder strap. I took a nice strap from another bag and hooked the handholds. Worked perfectly. Technically it's a women's bag but it comes in 2 man colors also. Happy hunting.
Welcome to FT!
Those look like the kinds of bags that my +1 likes to bring into movie theaters to sneak food in
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
Seems like this is a customer made product at http://www.carryonfree.com/ but they are out of stock. Does anyone have this? Any feedback?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Great product. hehe. Great marketing too for it. For the price of one flight with a bag.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maksimfa
Great product. hehe. Great marketing too for it. For the price of one flight with a bag.
I guess they're sufficiently in demand to have "sold out" the first batch.

It would seem like a useful product, but I'd only buy it if I were CONSTANTLY flying Spirit -- and I pity anyone who does that. For the occasional trip; there's really no reason to overthink this. Just use a large backpack that you probably having lying around the house.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:36 am

Spirit and 16x14x12carryon

A ski boot bag fits those dimensions beautifully!
Old May 16, 2013, 10:40 am

A ski boot bag fits the dimensions really well. If you know someone who skis and takes their own skis ask to use their bag. Luckily for me my husband skis and we have a very old bag that will fit just fine! For a four day trip to FL it will hold everything I need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.