Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Budget | Fastbreak (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Small scuff marks on driver's side door: Attendant says don't worry about it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl

Rented a Chrysler Sebring 4 door out of CLT. It was pitch black dark when I picked up the car. Noticed 4-5 distinct scuff markings, almost scrapes on the driver's side door. When I handed my stuff over to the attendant to check and told him, he said, "Don't worry about it." I asked if he was sure. He said, "Yeah it shouldn't be a problem." It'll be a problem when Budget charges me upon return!

These are noticeable during the day time but are not dents or bumps or anything that serious.

Anything I can do here? I'm pretty sure when I return the car and they ask me about it, saying "the attendant told me it shouldn't be a problem" is not a valid answer.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: Worldperks Silver, Dividend Miles Silver, Rapid Rewards
Did you document the attendants name or have the attendant document these damages on paper prior to leaving?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theacendahole
Did you document the attendants name or have the attendant document these damages on paper prior to leaving?
Yes, no. I told him to document the damages but whether or not he did was another question. Him saying "Don't worry about it," seems open-ended. Maybe he did document it afterwards but the problem was that I didn't get an affirmation of whether or not he did document it, hence my problem.

I don't rent cars very often, in fact this is the first case of this happening (finding my car to have some imperfections). Should a strict and harsher tone be used next time in order to avoid this?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Yes, no. I told him to document the damages but whether or not he did was another question. Him saying "Don't worry about it," seems open-ended. Maybe he did document it afterwards but the problem was that I didn't get an affirmation of whether or not he did document it, hence my problem.

I don't rent cars very often, in fact this is the first case of this happening (finding my car to have some imperfections). Should a strict and harsher tone be used next time in order to avoid this?
Rental cars are being kept longer these days by most agencies. As such, they have a tendancy to have small amounts of wear and tear on them that aren't repaired until the car is sold. I rent about 25-30 times a year and 95% of the time the car will have some damage on it (scratches, rock chips in windshield on occasion). I rent with National, and they ask you to do an inspection yourself. If you come back having found anything they mark it down on both copies and take your word for it. Makes sense, not like I can read the future and know what exact fender I'll scrape in 2 days.

A lot of companies don't worry about small knicks IME. It varies by company, but there's certainly nothing wrong with being cautious. Even if they don't mark stuff down as a rule, if you get them to do it they should. That way, it makes no difference to them since they wouldn't have in the first place, but you know you have documentation on your side.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 5:15 am

Location: Cleveland, Ohio. I answer any question about Cleveland
Programs: I'm nobody
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Rental cars are being kept longer these days by most agencies. As such, they have a tendancy to have small amounts of wear and tear on them that aren't repaired until the car is sold. I rent about 25-30 times a year and 95% of the time the car will have some damage on it (scratches, rock chips in windshield on occasion). I rent with National, and they ask you to do an inspection yourself. If you come back having found anything they mark it down on both copies and take your word for it. Makes sense, not like I can read the future and know what exact fender I'll scrape in 2 days.

A lot of companies don't worry about small knicks IME. It varies by company, but there's certainly nothing wrong with being cautious. Even if they don't mark stuff down as a rule, if you get them to do it they should. That way, it makes no difference to them since they wouldn't have in the first place, but you know you have documentation on your side.
When you do a self inspection circle every side of the car, top, front, 2 sides, and back. The attendants never look at what you wrote down and if there is ever a problem simply show them the sheet where it had previously been marked.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: Worldperks Silver, Dividend Miles Silver, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Sammythebarber
When you do a self inspection circle every side of the car, top, front, 2 sides, and back. The attendants never look at what you wrote down and if there is ever a problem simply show them the sheet where it had previously been marked.
I ve thought about that but never pulled the trigger. I do circle legit damage and yes they dont even look at it.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:32 am
Original Poster

An update: Returned the car to CLT 11/26, told attendant receiving car about it, she said the damages I reported receiving had been recorded previously and so I was in the clear ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.