Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Budget | Fastbreak (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

International Person renting with debit card, credit check? How does that work?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Person renting with debit card, credit check? How does that work?!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

I've got a prepaid booking with budget from DFW airport. I'm a British citizen, but I have a US bank account (lived in the US for a few years 8 years ago!)

I called tonight to confirm whether using my British debit card would be okay (it worked fine for Alamo in October) but Budget have said I have to use a US debit card (which is fine) and pass a credit check. All Alamo wanted was confirmation of my return flight and to see my passport. How can Budget possibly expect a Brit to have any kind of credit record in the USA?! I do have a SSN, but I really don't know if it would be worth admitting to that in this circumstance. What would you do? I'm tempted to cancel and rebook with Alamo but it's £100 at least difference alongside a £16 change fee.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: Priority Club, Eurobonus, Hertz Gold, Dollar Express, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat.
Ignore it! Debit cards in Europe are a bit different and in most cases the car hire staff don't know the difference. They usually say no debit cards are accepted but MANY Europeans use their debit cards without issues.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I'm from Costa Rica, but I've rented multiple times from Avis and Alamo with just my credit card. Don't remember showing any tickets or passport.

Never used a Debit Card tho.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.