Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Budget | Fastbreak (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

EWR - reserved class not ready, pay for upgrade?

Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I had a reservation at Budget this week at Newark, coming in all
exhausted from my transatlantic flight.

The lady at the counter told me that there is no Economy car available. I insisted to wait, and she spent the time, trying to get me to upgrade to other classes for $20 extra a day, then $10 extra day, and finally she offered me a compact for $5 more. Is this normal?

The last few times I rented at Enterprise, if they did not have Economy,
they upgrade me for free to compact, and once even to full size.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by em0616
Hi,

The lady at the counter told me that there is no Economy car available. I insisted to wait, and she spent the time, trying to get me to upgrade to other classes for $20 extra a day, then $10 extra day, and finally she offered me a compact for $5 more. Is this normal?

I have never paid for an upgrade if my car class was not available. Typically they give you the next larger size for the rate you reserved.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Platnium, National Executive Elite
Avis and Budget at EWR are infamous for up sell you upgrades. Maybe you can try to talk to the manager to see if you can get the issue resolved. Or simply walk to another rental agency there, there are plenty.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by em0616
Hi,

Total BS. You had a reservation, they need to give you an acceptable car at that price. They were trying to upsell you.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:12 pm

I travel very frequently and almost always us Budget. When the size class is not available I get a larger car automatically. Often the upgrade is more than one class. My profile calls for a mid-size, and more than once I have drawn a Town Car.

Your experience was total BS.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: none
They can ask if you would like to pay for an upgrade. If you want to pay more for a bigger car, go ahead. If you don't agree, have them give you whatever is available at the price you agreed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.