Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Budget | Fastbreak (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Really cheap Budget rate when booking airfare on Orbitz

Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:38 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I've never seen this before. While booking a roundtrip to PIT on Orbitz, one of the options was to add a car rental. My options were $30.81 for Budget or $100+ for Alamo. Lowest price for ANY car rental company at PIT that day is $96.

Needless to say, I grabbed the Budget rate through Orbitz. I thought it was going to be a Priceline-type "Name Your Own Price" where it would be a non-refundable rental, but it wasn't. Not payable until pickup of the car.

Never seen this before with Orbitz or anyone else (with the exception of making a Priceline "Name Your Own Price" hotel reservation and seeing the "want to add a rental car" at cheap rate (which are also bid amounts and I've never had any of those actually accepted..But it's a great idea for Orbitz and Budget, and I saved a bunch on this cancelable reservation with Budget..
Old Aug 15, 2010, 3:19 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Wow - that is a great price. I am trying to get a rental car for the week here in PIT and was told that it would be $38 plus tax each day.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
I've never seen this before. While booking a roundtrip to PIT on Orbitz, one of the options was to add a car rental. My options were $30.81 for Budget or $100+ for Alamo. Lowest price for ANY car rental company at PIT that day is $96.

Needless to say, I grabbed the Budget rate through Orbitz. I thought it was going to be a Priceline-type "Name Your Own Price" where it would be a non-refundable rental, but it wasn't. Not payable until pickup of the car.
As long as you have a print out reservation confirming your rate, the rental car company is required to honor it- providing that you arrive on time, of course. If you end up being delayed or need to change your reservation- call ALWAYS. If you try to re-book it or edit it online the price may rise, however if you call to move the reservation, the agent will only change your pick up date/time (I would confirm your rate with the agent though, should you decide to do this).
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Strawberry Cancer
As long as you have a print out reservation confirming your rate, the rental car company is required to honor it- providing that you arrive on time, of course. If you end up being delayed or need to change your reservation- call ALWAYS. If you try to re-book it or edit it online the price may rise, however if you call to move the reservation, the agent will only change your pick up date/time (I would confirm your rate with the agent though, should you decide to do this).
Depends how you call, too--if you call the location directly, it may not re-price; if you call Budget's national call center, the reservation may be re-priced, although supervisors can usually override that if it's just a change of a few hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.