Budget Scams on Gas!

Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Angry Budget Scams on Gas!

I rented a car from Budget last week. Brought it back with a full tank (had driven about 250 miles, but refilled), but they charged me an additional $1.98 for gas (at $7.90/gal, where local prices are around $3.49). They claimed that even though the gage said full, that the car computer indicated it used that much gas between the gas station and the rental car location.

They of course tell you if you drive less than 75 miles, you have to produce a receipt, or you will be charged $14.99 for gas.

This sounds like an attempt to force everyone to buy prepaid.

I wonder if this is just the Boston location, or is it all of USA?

This smells like a great class action.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

How far from BOS did you fill up? Do you have a receipt for it? I know some places used to have signs that you needed to fill up within 5 miles of the airport or you'd be charged for gas. I'd like to know how they calculated that the car stated that you used that much gas after filling. I've never seen that on a car before!

However, even with a receipt, their "5 mile rule" doesn't prevent one from:
-Not filling the car all the way up
-Ensuring you don't let the car idle for 2 hours after filling
-Ensure you don't fill up and drive another 35 miles in circles before pulling into the airport
Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
How far from BOS did you fill up? Do you have a receipt for it? I know some places used to have signs that you needed to fill up within 5 miles of the airport or you'd be charged for gas. I'd like to know how they calculated that the car stated that you used that much gas after filling. I've never seen that on a car before!

However, even with a receipt, their "5 mile rule" doesn't prevent one from:
-Not filling the car all the way up
-Ensuring you don't let the car idle for 2 hours after filling
-Ensure you don't fill up and drive another 35 miles in circles before pulling into the airport
Actually point to point the distance was less than 8.4 miles, at 29.4 miles per gallon comes out to .2857 miles gallons used. However, what is not taken into account and cannot be is the difference in the fill level (where the auto shutoff occurs). The contract states where the needle is, not what the car computer states.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:37 pm

Had a couple of odd experiences returning Avis cars to PVD this month (Avis and Budget are owned by the same parent company).

1. Returned car, gas gauge showed higher than Full, return receipt generated by handheld unit showed return level Full, but was charged over $80 for refueling service. I filled up (topping off several times) less than two miles away and had a receipt to prove so. Protested and had the charge refunded.

2. Returned car, gas gauge showed higher than Full (took a picture confirming this), return receipt generated by handheld unit showed return level only 7/8, but was charged nothing extra. Again I filled up (topping off several times) less than two miles away and had a receipt to prove so.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by starflyer
return receipt generated by handheld unit showed return level only 7/8, but was charged nothing extra.
What was the noted fuel on our pickup? If it was 7/8, they might have put it down as the same on return so they don't have to reimburse you for on-the-road expenses. I've seen this with Avis.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:48 pm

Budget has seemed to also not fill cars up all the way, for awhile I would pull out and realize it was about 2 gallons from being full. Took a picture next to the mileage to try and prove it on dropping it off, only once was I compensated.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Plat Elite
Thumbs down

I was very disappointed with Budget last weekend when I rented in Tampa Florida. I've never had a rental car company try to underhandedly scam me on charges before.

First, the agent asked what vehicle I drove at home and 6minutes later said he had put me in a Nissan Xterra. "Please sign here for the additional charge" he said. I told him I didn't need an Xterra for the two days and I wasn't paying an extra $60 for an upgrade. He then said, I can get you a mid-sized for just $10 additional per day. I said no. I declined all prepaid gas, and insurances.

When I returned the vehicle, I filled up prior to returning it just a few miles from the airport. Since I drove just 70 miles I was charged a flat rate of something like $13.99 (I don't remember the exact amount) for refueling. No where on the contract did it request a gas receipt upon returning and I had to fight to get the charge taken off.

How can a company expect to get repeat business when they treat customers like this? They may be able to make money in the short run but they certainly won't have my business in the long run. I have never had a car rental company so underhandedly scam me on additional charges and add-ons that were solely designed to help their bottom line.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
This is starting to be a trend

I rent from different Budget locations in the US every couple of weeks. The past two rentals, Knoxville TN and San Diego CA, the car I received did not have a full tank of gas. The contract they give you states it is leaving full and needs to be returned with a full tank of gas.

Is this some new corporate policy to scam customers out of additional dollars? I give the folks in Knoxville credit. They were very apologetic about this and gave me a credit towards my current rental. The same cannot be said for the San Diego location.

Make sure you check the fuel level before leaving the rental location. If the car isn't on full, make sure they are aware of that and that you will not be returning it full.

Old Apr 21, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by shadowbozo
I rent from different Budget locations in the US every couple of weeks. The past two rentals, Knoxville TN and San Diego CA, the car I received did not have a full tank of gas. The contract they give you states it is leaving full and needs to be returned with a full tank of gas.

Is this some new corporate policy to scam customers out of additional dollars? I give the folks in Knoxville credit. They were very apologetic about this and gave me a credit towards my current rental. The same cannot be said for the San Diego location.

Make sure you check the fuel level before leaving the rental location. If the car isn't on full, make sure they are aware of that and that you will not be returning it full.

This practice is also my pet peeve, so I always check the gas gauge before leaving. Some locations are worse than others. A truly full tank is usually beyond full, so if it is not, I will ask the attendant upon check out to note the position of the gas gauge upon leaving the rental center. I wish someone would bring a class action on this. It is a small amount per rental, but multiplied by so many rentals, a huge taking.

Last edited by frequent traveler; Apr 21, 2013 at 8:38 am Reason: added comments
Old Apr 21, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Originally Posted by frequent traveler
This practice is also my pet peeve, so I always check the gas gauge before leaving. Some locations are worse than others. A truly full tank is usually beyond full, so if it is not, I will ask the attendant upon check out to note the position of the gas gauge upon leaving the rental center. I wish someone would bring a class action on this. It is a small amount per rental, but multiplied by so many rentals, a huge taking.
Use your cell phone and take a picture of the gas gauge and include the mileage in the picture. Make sure the out mileage is correct on your rental slip and if there is a dispute you have the evidence for corporate to see.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
I always reset the trip odometer before I leave.
When I refuel, I estimate the fuel economy and fill enough to cover the mileage.
So, if I put 100 miles on the car, I'll estimate 25 MPG (more or less depending on vehicle), and give it 4 gallons.
I always keep receipts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.