Budget vs. Avis

Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Budget vs. Avis

I know they are owned by the same corporation. But any differences? Avis's rates seem, generally (but not always), more than Budget's, but, of course, rates can vary by location, exact discount codes used, etc. Sometimes the difference is small, sometimes big. For an upcoming rental, picking up a full-size car at Burbank Airport and leaving it at LAX 3 days later, the cost is about $129 for Budget and $140 for Avis. Would Avis generally have a wider selection of vehicles at the same airport location, or is it just a matter of chance, dependent on who picks up or returns vehicles? I had one bad experience with Budget, regarding payment for a small dent, and one bad experience regarding vehicle selection and needing to have the car washed when I turned it in (but the latter was at an off-airport franchise, and service I got at the nearby airport location when I had to switch cars was fine), but generally my experiences with both Avis and Budget has been fine.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:22 pm

Word of caution: Most major rental company stores nationwide are corporate stores that specialize in one-ways, and most of the remaining franchises that own specific cars are in rural areas. Budget LAX and SAN are exceptions. They are franchises, as are the surrounding neighborhood stores. Many people generally report bad experiences with independent licensees.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 2:45 pm

And to add to Auto Enthusiast's comment...

The "independent" licensees are often subject to the policies and dictates of a district office who control the "independent" licensee's participation in various mileage promotions and rate settings. I have found that despite the best of intentions, sometimes the "independent" licensees are not fully informed of the district policies which makes it even more difficult should a renter encounter a problem (obviously they only "see" the local licensee, not the district office which actually sets their policies, etc.. Also, the "independent" licensees in some instances are "scared to death" of losing their franchise for violation of certain of Budget's rules and regulations, which certainly sets a certain tone as to their conduct...

Of course, on the plus side, the off site locations which are usually "independently" owned, offer a significant discount in rental rates. As like everything, it's a trade off sometimes...

Have a good weekend...

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Word of caution: Most major rental company stores nationwide are corporate stores that specialize in one-ways, and most of the remaining franchises that own specific cars are in rural areas. Budget LAX and SAN are exceptions. They are franchises, as are the surrounding neighborhood stores. Many people generally report bad experiences with independent licensees.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by skoenig
I know they are owned by the same corporation. But any differences? Avis's rates seem, generally (but not always), more than Budget's, but, of course, rates can vary by location, exact discount codes used, etc. Sometimes the difference is small, sometimes big. For an upcoming rental, picking up a full-size car at Burbank Airport and leaving it at LAX 3 days later, the cost is about $129 for Budget and $140 for Avis. Would Avis generally have a wider selection of vehicles at the same airport location, or is it just a matter of chance, dependent on who picks up or returns vehicles? I had one bad experience with Budget, regarding payment for a small dent, and one bad experience regarding vehicle selection and needing to have the car washed when I turned it in (but the latter was at an off-airport franchise, and service I got at the nearby airport location when I had to switch cars was fine), but generally my experiences with both Avis and Budget has been fine.
The differences are essentially based upon the market which each brand targets. Avis is the business brand and Budget is the leisure brand. Avis has a loyalty program which gives upgrades and better service. The Budget program is not really a loyalty program. Budget tends to be a business hours enterprise whereas Avis tends to have 24 hour service. The rates then reflect that as people who rent from Avis rarely need to pay for the car themself whereas Budget is competing with the likes of Alamo and Thrifty.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:36 am

The "independent" licensees are often subject to the policies and dictates of a district office who control the "independent" licensee's participation in various mileage promotions and rate settings. I have found that despite the best of intentions, sometimes the "independent" licensees are not fully informed of the district policies which makes it even more difficult should a renter encounter a problem (obviously they only "see" the local licensee, not the district office which actually sets their policies, etc.. Also, the "independent" licensees in some instances are "scared to death" of losing their franchise for violation of certain of Budget's rules and regulations, which certainly sets a certain tone as to their conduct...

I guessed the independent licensees in and around the same airport are probably owned under the same umbrella. They typically allow one-ways within their network, but often deny rentals from or especially to corporate stores.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: Avis PC Hilton Gold Marriott Gold
Avis has the higher rates in most markets. I have also found that I must check the vehicle over thourghly now in some markets, MSP, because both pull from the same fleet and the Budget vehicles tend to be in rough shape.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.