Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Budget | Fastbreak (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Ok, now Budget (and others) have lost their minds...

Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I can't help but throw out a comment on this, because it now has gotten beyond the absurd...

Budget is asking $508.99 (without taxes and add'l charges) for a one week rental in SJC for an economy car (it's only $1425.99 for a full size van). And I know, I could if I wanted to get that down with various bcd's. But I mean, c'mon...I've been renting cars 364 days a year for over 7 years and even this one has me shaking my head. I will and have do almost anything for miles, but the cost/benefit has literally flown out the window increasingly, for miles when it comes to car rentals.

All I can do is leave Budget and others, cause it obviously makes no economic sense to me. What did I do? Using a code here and peek there, I got a one week rental from another rental company in SJC (at the airport) for $88 plus taxes.

I don't care how many miles ya wanta offer, $508.99 vs. $88 is not a contest. Point being, the chase for miles via car rentals, increasingly not worth it...not like the old days!!!

And this is their business model????

Last edited by randix; Oct 10, 2010 at 6:26 pm
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: WN, AA, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Wink

Care to share a hint about who the other company is?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
...and which day you don't rent?

(and how a leap year will affect that?)
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Advantage

Originally Posted by AJSpark
Care to share a hint about who the other company is?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

As an additional note to my original post, had an interesting telephone call today. I have corporate accounts at all of the major car rental agencies, including Budget. I got a "courtesy" call today from someone at the Budget corporate desk, who wanted to know why I've not used Budget since January of this year. I laughed and told her I had in fact rented from Budget probably 25 times this year, but why would I use my corporate BCD (they send you $2/day rebate) when I found I could get cheaper rates using other BCD codes, like Costco. She acted surprised (uh, right). Not wanting to waste the opportunity, I told her about the $504 weekly rate I found for an economy car at SJC the other day, and why on earth would I rent from Budget when I could get the same car for under $100 (or substantially lesser rate) elsewhere. She said she doubted I could find cheaper rates than at Budget, so I told her where to go (now, now, where to search for a cheaper rate). Her only reply was that the site I directed her to, didn't initially reveal the additional taxes... then I laughed, when you're talking hundreds of dollars difference in the base rental rate, that would be the least of my concern. My point was, how could "she" justify having that type of crazy rental rate posted on their site, and what about those unsophisticated travelers that just bring up the site and book the rate, not knowing any better? I never did get a satisfactory reply, just that Budget is very competitive. Uh, sure. That's why when I plug in my corporate BCD even taking into consideration the $2 rebate, I get higher quotes than using my gold star Costco card. I shudder to think of the number of unsuspecting unsophisticated travelers who book that $504 rate for an economy car who don't know better, and the Budget folks who say nothing and take their money.

Just not right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.