Wiki Posts
Search

$20 Tip Trick in Orlando

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2010, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

$20 Tip Trick in Orlando

Hello!

Can anyone please tell me if they've successfully used the $20 Tip trick at budget at MCO? ($20 sandwiched between driver's license and credit card).

We have a 15 day car rental in August and got a fantastic rate but for a mid-size car only. We are a family of 5 (fkids 5, 7, and 10) but want t o get a complimentary upgrade to a van at the airport. I've used this in Vegas to get suite upgrades but have not tried this on cars.

Thanks, Charles
Old May 29, 2010, 5:27 pm

You're kidding, right? At Budget?

Originally Posted by McDMan
Hello!

Can anyone please tell me if they've successfully used the $20 Tip trick at budget at MCO? ($20 sandwiched between driver's license and credit card).

We have a 15 day car rental in August and got a fantastic rate but for a mid-size car only. We are a family of 5 (fkids 5, 7, and 10) but want t o get a complimentary upgrade to a van at the airport. I've used this in Vegas to get suite upgrades but have not tried this on cars.

Thanks, Charles
Old May 29, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
Thumbs down

Hello!

Thanks, Charles
What you are doing is called 'bribery' and that is not a good thing.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:36 pm

Programs: WN,DL,BA
Going to take more than a $20 bill for that 15 day rental, 50 or maybe a 100, there was this one guy who came in and would always rent from me and slip me a $20 needless to say I never disappointed him
Old May 30, 2010, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Of course its bribery. That's what this is all about. It's not illegal and it works at the hotels in Vegas for complimentary suite upgrades. On the same principle, the car rental clerks have the authority to change your car rental. I just want to make sure that I can get a van upgrade if it's available. For $20, it's worth the try/ What would the car rental clerks care?? I'm sure that many would like to make a quick $20 regardless of whether it is 15 days or 1 day.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked out.

Thanks again!
Old May 30, 2010, 7:08 am

Hmm, perhaps...

the next time I can't get customer service to post my bonus miles or do anything other than send me a canned response, I'll send them an envelope with a $20 bill...

Of course its bribery. That's what this is all about. It's not illegal and it works at the hotels in Vegas for complimentary suite upgrades. On the same principle, the car rental clerks have the authority to change your car rental. I just want to make sure that I can get a van upgrade if it's available. For $20, it's worth the try/ What would the car rental clerks care?? I'm sure that many would like to make a quick $20 regardless of whether it is 15 days or 1 day.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked out.

Thanks again!
Old May 30, 2010, 7:17 am

Hello!

:
You might want to try rolling some marijuana, too. Once, a patron left me some marijuana as a restaurant tip. I suppose if CA legalizes it come the November, 2010 election this might become more common.
Old May 30, 2010, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by randix
the next time I can't get customer service to post my bonus miles or do anything other than send me a canned response, I'll send them an envelope with a $20 bill...
Whatever works...just be sure to be specific with your request. You'd be surprised what people are willing to do for money. It's just a fact of life
Old May 30, 2010, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tailgater
You might want to try rolling some marijuana, too. Once, a patron left me some marijuana as a restaurant tip. I suppose if CA legalizes it come the November, 2010 election this might become more common.

Once this becomes common practice. I'll start doing this too. In the meantime, everyone should just stick to what works...$20
Old May 30, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by havepointswilltravel
What you are doing is called 'bribery' and that is not a good thing.
Then consider me a briber as I do this all the time when checking into hotels on the Strip in Las Vegas and "bribed" a bored-looking Budget agent at SNA. Was very pleased to get a double upgrade and into a car with 1,200 miles and fully loaded.

However, it is always a gamble and you may get nothing or your money returned.
Old May 30, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
I know this has been discussed extensively regarding hotel rooms, but I've never heard of it with rental cars. Have you tried it before? If it has worked for you elsewhere, I wouldn't expect MCO to be any different than any large station. It's possible that rental car agents have less leeway to give free upgrades without justifying it to their superiors, but that is just a guess. I would expect better luck if you can find a counter with a single agent on duty, I don't think you would get far where several agents are standing shoulder to shoulder.

One other thing to note about MCO, there are two Budget facilities, one in the A side (north) parking garage, and the other on the B side. They are about a 5 minute brisk walk apart. You might consider scoping each one out for availability before making your play.

Either way, if you give it a try, let us know how it works out for you.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:55 pm

, go ahead and give it a try!

If the representative hands you it back, it's likely because they know the van needs to generate an additional $200 easy for that rental car location over that 15day period.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Hello!

Thanks, Charles
Enjoy your Corolla on your 15 day rental.

Ron.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.