Wiki Posts
Search

over-billing problem

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

over-billing problem

Anyone recently have a problem with Budget "re-calculating" your quoted rate?

I reserved a car online for four days (over a weekend) and was quoted a total price, plus the taxes. I also entered in a "one-day free" coupon (Sunday, I believe), which was accepted and duly noted in the reservation.

When I returned the car (at exactly at the time I said I would), they deducted the coupon, but charged me a higher daily rate for one of the days, resulting in an over-charge of about $24 over my quoted price.

I complained at the counter, but they said that's the rate their computer showed, so I'd have to take it up with Budget corporate. I called Budget and they said I'd have to wait 2 days for the "information to be in their computer."

So I waited the days, and called. But the agent was completely confused by my complaint, even though I explained it line-by-line. He transferred me back to the rental office where, fortunately, I got a rep who seemed to understand the problem. I'm faxing my email confirmation to her manager, where hopefully everything will be properly adjusted.

Has this ever happened to anyone before, where they were charged a higher rate than what they were quoted online? I've always been a little leery of Budget's practice of NOT including the coupon discount in your total price, because it makes it far more confusing to dispute an over-charge. Like if I had a document which said "your total price will be $80.50," and I'm actually charged $104.50, most agents would be capable of understanding that there's an error. Instead, Budget's quote system makes it necessary to reach a "rocket scientist" to get the problem solved. I've always thought one day I'd have a dispute about a coupon not being subtracted, but I never thought the problem would be a higher daily rate charge.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:04 pm

Must say...

of all the complaining I do about Budget, getting the quoted rate calculated correctly has never been a problem, including application of a coupon upon the return. Although the other day I was returning a one day rental in SAN and the guy with the magic printing machine gave me my receipt...as I walked away I glanced at it and saw that it was for $430, not $43...when I pointed it out to him, he just shrugged ("not my job"), had to go inside and they corrected it promptly.

Originally Posted by iahphx
Anyone recently have a problem with Budget "re-calculating" your quoted rate?

I reserved a car online for four days (over a weekend) and was quoted a total price, plus the taxes. I also entered in a "one-day free" coupon (Sunday, I believe), which was accepted and duly noted in the reservation.

When I returned the car (at exactly at the time I said I would), they deducted the coupon, but charged me a higher daily rate for one of the days, resulting in an over-charge of about $24 over my quoted price.

I complained at the counter, but they said that's the rate their computer showed, so I'd have to take it up with Budget corporate. I called Budget and they said I'd have to wait 2 days for the "information to be in their computer."

So I waited the days, and called. But the agent was completely confused by my complaint, even though I explained it line-by-line. He transferred me back to the rental office where, fortunately, I got a rep who seemed to understand the problem. I'm faxing my email confirmation to her manager, where hopefully everything will be properly adjusted.

Has this ever happened to anyone before, where they were charged a higher rate than what they were quoted online? I've always been a little leery of Budget's practice of NOT including the coupon discount in your total price, because it makes it far more confusing to dispute an over-charge. Like if I had a document which said "your total price will be $80.50," and I'm actually charged $104.50, most agents would be capable of understanding that there's an error. Instead, Budget's quote system makes it necessary to reach a "rocket scientist" to get the problem solved. I've always thought one day I'd have a dispute about a coupon not being subtracted, but I never thought the problem would be a higher daily rate charge.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Makes my $24 over-charge seem trivial.

Although I have had larger car rental disputes. On National's Emerald Aisle at SAN last year, there was a minivan parked. I had my kids with me, so (just to be sure) I asked if I could have it for my Emerald Aisle rez. "No problem," the agent said, so I took it.

Sure enough, when I returned, I was charged several hundred extra dollars for the vehicle. I marched in to the office to complain, and the agent argued with me, refusing to believe I got the car from the Emerald Aisle! I stood my ground and the agent backed down, but it was a somewhat unsettling experience. I mean, how could I PROVE how I got the car?

At least with this dispute, I've got my email confirmation.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rather than deal with the local office, I did call Budget customer service back, got a different agent and, after some initial confusion, I got my money back.

Not sure why this happened, but it definitely seems to have something to do with the weekend rate switching to a daily rate over the long 4-day "weekend" -- even though the website quoted me at 4 weekend days. If you do a rental of that type, I'd suggest looking at your receipt carefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.