Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair Baggage Allowance and Cabin Baggage

Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Question RyanAir checked baggage/cabin baggage??????:S:S

Sorry im really new to all, this i dont really knw much about the flights, im in uk and planning on to fly to portugal this summer, but im confused bout checked baggage and cabbin baggage, are they 2 different things??? i mean because it says for checked baggages your allowed up 2 3 bags and all but wat if i only have hand luggage do i have to pay money for the hand luggage or is it already included in the ticket, sorry for being such an idiot on this, all help appretiated. Thank you
demon_666
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:25 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by demon_666
Sorry im really new to all, this i dont really knw much about the flights, im in uk and planning on to fly to portugal this summer, but im confused bout checked baggage and cabbin baggage, are they 2 different things??? i mean because it says for checked baggages your allowed up 2 3 bags and all but wat if i only have hand luggage do i have to pay money for the hand luggage or is it already included in the ticket, sorry for being such an idiot on this, all help appretiated. Thank you
demon_666
I can understand your confusion. I am a frequent flyer, but Ryanair's baggage restriction policy and fees can still be quite daunting.

Cabin baggage is hand luggage or carry on.
Checked baggage is what is taken off you at check-in and goes in the hold for collection at your destination.

A word of warning about baggage restrictions on Ryanair. The restriction on cabin baggage is 10kg. The restriction on checked bags is 15kg in total, not per bag. They will also charge you for each checked bag (GBP6.00 for the first bag, GBP12.00 for each subsequent bag - this is per flight, so you get charges each way on a round trip. - they are also qute strict on the weight restrictions and are likely to charge you any excess and this comes in at GBP7.50/kilo per flight. Finally, note that if you are checking in bags, you cannot do online check-in AND get charged GBP3.00 for airport check-in fee. All these charges are payable at time of booking ( I think you can pay at the airport, but the fees increase!). Best to check with Ryanair's website for more details if you are still unsure.

You don't get charges for hand luggage, assuming it is within the above mentioned restrictions.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:17 am

Ryanair Charges
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:27 am

Hi!
I'm about to travel on Ryanair and I would like to know if the cabin luggage+Checked in luggage need to be in total 15Kg or they're independent.
With this I mean 15Kg on Checked Luggage + 10Kg on cabin luggage.

Can someone please inform me on this?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:01 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk BirdOfPrey !

Lots of questions along these lines, so I'm merging the threads.

EmailKid
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:08 am

Hi all!
No problem emailkid!
allenkeys explained my doubt very well, as I can see now you can never be too carefull with Ryainair!
So better be informed now than when I'm on route, as the Ryainair is my 2nd flight!

Thank you all helpful people!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:10 am
njm

Programs: AGR, CO
Originally Posted by BirdOfPrey
Hi!
I'm about to travel on Ryanair and I would like to know if the cabin luggage+Checked in luggage need to be in total 15Kg or they're independent.
With this I mean 15Kg on Checked Luggage + 10Kg on cabin luggage.

Can someone please inform me on this?
The 10 kg cabin luggage limit and 15 kg checked luggage limits are separate. If you go under on one, I don't think you get "credit" with the other.

For example:
10 kg cabin luggage + 15 kg checked luggage = 25 kg total, is allowed.
11 kg cabin luggage + 14 kg checked luggage = 25 kg total, is not allowed according to a strict reading of the rules.

And of course,
10 kg cabin luggage + 16 kg checked luggage = 26 kg total. is allowed, with payment of additional per-kg fee.

I have taken RyanAir a couple of times but couldn't say how strictly that 10-kg cabin luggage limit is applied.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:17 am

I just flew RyanAir this summer. We left from Gothenburg Sweden so the checkin counter might have let some things slide. One of our group members had to pay for an overweight bag (very expensive lesson) and none of us had to weigh our carry-ons but they were very strict with the one carry on bag rule. They didn't care about the size of the carry on, just that you had only one.

Best advise is to follow their rules to the letter.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:49 pm

Ryanair are very hot about excess baggage at the moment ......... even a part kilo will be charged for. Recently I have found plenty of other travellers doing what I do - find an unused check in desk and weigh and rearrange luggage before approaching the Ryanair check in desk ............ and when you have to show your boarding card at security landside, there's NO WAY that the security attendants will let more than one piece of handluggage go by them ..... I often take a huge shopping bag and put all my bits in that so that I can get by this 1 piece ruling!

Easyjet are far more generous - 20 kg hold and one piece of any weight hand baggage ... assuming you can lift it yourself and put it in the overhead bins.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 6:01 am
Suspended

Ryanair have a huge campaign right now weighing hand luggage at the gate, dont risk it
Old Aug 29, 2008, 1:59 pm

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
There have been many threads on many sites on this subject including one on "Do dirty clothes weigh more than clean" giving the example of an identical suitcase checked in at BHX (14.6k) and GIR (15.8k) and being charged 16 excess!!!
Follow the rules-weigh your cases (hand/checked) before you leave home then at least you will be not one of those less brightwho are unpacking checked cases,discarding unwanted items into litter bins and stuffing the rest into hand luggage.
Ryanair are "the cheap fares airline" but will ensure you pay if you do not follow their rules,
Old Aug 31, 2008, 9:21 am

I fly Ryanair very regularly, and can confirm that they don't weigh cabin luggage - however they will approach you if you look like you're carrying an excessively heavy bag, and try the weight themselves 'by hand'. It's pretty silly really - they always approach me and my bag is small and only weighs 8KG on average. My husband carries a much heavier bag, but it looks like nothing when it's on his shoulder, so he never gets questioned.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by erila
I fly Ryanair very regularly, and can confirm that they don't weigh cabin luggage
This is something you would only be able to confirm if you had flown on every single route Ryanair operates.

All you are able to confirm is that you have never seen them weigh cabin baggage on the routes that you fly.

I used to fly STN-LBC (don't any more) and have seen them weigh cabin baggage at both airport. The don't routinely weigh every single item, but they certainly do spot checks - and it's not just with items that look heavy.

Please refrain from making such sweeping generalisations.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 9:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by erila
I fly Ryanair very regularly, and can confirm that they don't weigh cabin luggage - however they will approach you if you look like you're carrying an excessively heavy bag, and try the weight themselves 'by hand'. It's pretty silly really - they always approach me and my bag is small and only weighs 8KG on average. My husband carries a much heavier bag, but it looks like nothing when it's on his shoulder, so he never gets questioned.

you are very very wrong, I personally watched it now twice in the last 2 weeks, trust me they will deny you boarding unless you trump up the cash on the spot at the gate
Old Aug 31, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
This is something you would only be able to confirm if you had flown on every single route Ryanair operates.

I used to fly STN-LBC (don't any more) and have seen them weigh cabin baggage at both airport. The don't routinely weigh every single item, but they certainly do spot checks - and it's not just with items that look heavy.
I have had my cabin bag weighed at the Ryanair SVQ check-in on SVQ-STN. (Was travelling cabin baggage only, but hadn't been able to do on-line checkin from my hotel).

It weighed 11KG and I was sternly warned that I must reduce it to 10kg before I got to the gate

However at the gate when boarding, no one gave my cabin bag a second look!

Last edited by abfab; Aug 31, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.