Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EasyJet baggage policies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

EasyJet baggage policies

We are going to be flying on EasyJet from Edinbrough to Bristol in May in th middle of a trip from the U.S. to UK. We will be staying about 10 days altogether and are trying to figure out packing strategies, etc.

Trying to find out how strict they are on carry on sizing. We measured ours and in one dimension if you measure with the handle not squished in and to the bottom of the wheels the bag is about one centimeter over their stated allowances. We have another soft bag that is pretty much on the numbers empty. Since they are a budget carrier with add on fees I am afraid they will be super strict reading the sizes. Anyone know!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:36 pm

They might, or they might not. What is certain is if they do decide to stick to the rules they will stick to the rules TO THE LETTER
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
They are VERY strict with the limits.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
What alanR said.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
As there is a European Budget Airlines forum, I'll move this thread over there, to see if the orange experts (umm, as in the airline colour, not anything else) can help you out too.

Please continue to follow this topic in the European Budget Airlines forum.

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
alanR is correct, if they decide to put your bag in the sizer, they will force you to pay a fee and check it if oversized.

Just to clarify on their rules, which were changed slightly as of last week, your entitlement is (my addition in bold):

Cabin bag changes from Thursday 19th March 2015

All customers can bring ONE cabin bag up to the maximum size of 56 x 45 x 25cm (22x17.5x10 inches) including handles and wheels. Overhead locker space is limited on board the aircraft and on busy flights your cabin bag may have to go in the hold.

If you’re an easyJet Plus cardholder, FLEXI fare or Upfront or Extra Legroom customers then you can bring ONE additional small under seat bag (handbag/Laptop) with a maximum size of 45 x 36 x 20cm which will need to be placed under the seat in front. In order to secure your overhead locker space we recommend that you use easyJet Plus Speedy Boarding to be amongst the first to board the aircraft.
If you have ever flown BA and your carry-on fits their sizer, it will also fit easyJet's.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
I can say from personal experience that when they do check your bag and it doesn't fit, then you will be hit hard.

I commute weekly between EDI and STN. To make it as easy as possible I always travel with a single piece of cabin baggage. In testament to the quality of the product, I had used the same Travelpro Platinum 3 bag for 12 years on numerous airlines across the UK and the rest of world. It fits absolutely perfectly in to the overhead lockers (the correct way, wheels in, not sideways) as it was designed to do.

One Friday at STN I was first in the Speedy Boarding line and was approached by one of the Menzies gate staff who said my bag was too big. I explained that I've used it for many years and it fits perfectly in the overhead and that I had had no issues with taking it onboard on previous flights. She told me to put it in the sizer which I did. It would not go right in as the wheels, were catching the edge by around 1cm. The main part of the bag would have fitted without issue had the wheels not protruded. I was then informed that unless I paid £45 I would not be able to travel.

I pointed out to staff member that it was only the wheels preventing it from fitting but this was a complete waste of my time as she was not willing to apply any logic or discretion.

I paid my £45 and the bag was tagged and I was told to take it to the bottom of the steps.

On boarding I carried my bag to the aircraft as usual and as I have done many time before, placed it in the overhead locker where it fitted perfectly. In the end I paid £45 to take my bag in to the cabin.

I now have a new TravelPro bag that does fit in the sizers and I now use that.

They are very strict on the "one piece only" (this really does mean one piece only i.e. ladies handbags count as a second piece) policy although they have just changed the policy slightly for certain groups of customers:-

Cabin bag changes from Thursday 19th March 2015

All customers can bring ONE cabin bag up to the maximum size of 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels. Overhead locker space is limited on board the aircraft and on busy flights your cabin bag may have to go in the hold.

If you’re an easyJet Plus cardholder, FLEXI fare or Upfront or Extra Legroom customers then you can bring ONE additional small under seat bag (handbag/Laptop) with a maximum size of 45 x 36 x 20cm which will need to be placed under the seat in front. In order to secure your overhead locker space we recommend that you use easyJet Plus Speedy Boarding to be amongst the first to board the aircraft.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
As there is a European Budget Airlines forum, I'll move this thread over there, to see if the orange experts (umm, as in the airline colour, not anything else) can help you out too.

Please continue to follow this topic in the European Budget Airlines forum.

stut
UK & Ireland
Thanks and sorry for the mis post. I was not totally sure if that forum was more toward just the frequent flyer side if it.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some more checking on size compared to the U.S. we have never had any issues with either of these bags here on many many trips nor to Mexico, but it seems EasyJet is a touch smaller in their restrictions and given their business model I figured they would be strict.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman
Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some more checking on size compared to the U.S. we have never had any issues with either of these bags here on many many trips nor to Mexico, but it seems EasyJet is a touch smaller in their restrictions and given their business model I figured they would be strict.
The easyJet sizing is the IATA standard and is exactly the same as BA. Not sure what checking you need to do. Your bags either conform or not. If they don't you can take a chance, but if stopped and asked to put them in the sizer and they don't fit, you can have no complaints if made to pay.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Gaza
The easyJet sizing is the IATA standard and is exactly the same as BA. Not sure what checking you need to do. Your bags either conform or not. If they don't you can take a chance, but if stopped and asked to put them in the sizer and they don't fit, you can have no complaints if made to pay.
It's because not all US carriers use IATA standard. The major international carriers like UA, AA, DL would (nowadays) be within the same as easyJet limits (in fact smaller in some cases), but other airlines such as JetBlue and Southwest allow larger sizes, in particular 61cm length (24in) rather than the 56cm/22in used by European airlines. As a result, a lot of Americans have carry-on luggage that would exceed the dimensions in Europe, and in fact some luggage manufacturers sell "international compliant" carry-on bags in the US market based on this issue.

That said, I think we've given the OP clear guidelines of what will and will not be accepted on easyJet if their bags are put in the sizer, so hopefully they will have the right bags and no problems.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
It's because not all US carriers use IATA standard. The major international carriers like UA, AA, DL would (nowadays) be within the same as easyJet limits (in fact smaller in some cases), but other airlines such as JetBlue and Southwest allow larger sizes, in particular 61cm length (24in) rather than the 56cm/22in used by European airlines. As a result, a lot of Americans have carry-on luggage that would exceed the dimensions in Europe, and in fact some luggage manufacturers sell "international compliant" carry-on bags in the US market based on this issue.

That said, I think we've given the OP clear guidelines of what will and will not be accepted on easyJet if their bags are put in the sizer, so hopefully they will have the right bags and no problems.
I understand that but in the original posting he says one of the bags is 1cm greater than the allowed dimension, hence my point that if asked to out it in the sizer don't be surprised if they say it has to be checked.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
I fly easyJet from Edinburgh frequently. On every flight to Bristol the crew announce the flight is busy and invite passengers to put hand luggage in the hold.

Its also worth noting, if you are checking in baggage with easyJet at a desk, ask if you can put your hand luggage in too. They will normally say yes.

You're far more likely to get away with things slightly over the limits by doing it this way.

Being honest, the number of people on board EZY flights with too much luggage and luggage over the size limits, is far greater than on any other airline. They seem to let almost anything on.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by The doomed
Being honest, the number of people on board EZY flights with too much luggage and luggage over the size limits, is far greater than on any other airline. They seem to let almost anything on.
LOL! Have you had a look at the BA board recently?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
LOL! Have you had a look at the BA board recently?
I thought I needed gold status to view that more than once every 6 months
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

I understand that but in the original posting he says one of the bags is 1cm greater than the allowed dimension, hence my point that if asked to out it in the sizer don't be surprised if they say it has to be checked.
No one has ever asked my wife or I to put either of these in the sizer and they have flown at least three dozen times, many on major US carriers. Obviously measuring something with a tape measure is not the same as the frame of the sizer and it is not easy to make sure I am measuring correctly. I live near our airport and I might just head up there and check them to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.