Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Possibility of strike on Norwegian from Saturday

Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus

There is a possibility that Norwegian will go on strike from this coming Saturday.
Link to article in Danish :
http://www.business.dk/transport/str...an-fra-loerdag

I have used Norwegian very rarely so does anyone here know from experience how Norwegian handles cancellations due to strike?
As they have no partners, how do they get people home in case of strike - do they try to book you on other airlines? Or do they just refund the ticket and let people figure out the rest themselves?

My son is in Budapest at the moment, on a Norwegian ticket, and due to fly home on Sunday. Last night I decided to book him a back-up SAS ticket but they have no available seats until Thursday 5. of March.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
The strike is on, but it's only 70 pilots now. Chances of being hit by the strike are still small.

Usually DY sends a mail with the possibility of cancelling your ticket or free rescheduling on their own network if the cancellation is known well ahead.

For hotels, it seems to be a bit hit or miss. If you're on the airport anyway they'll probably help you, otherwise get a flight cancellation statement from them and find a hotel yourself. Your travel insurance will most likely cover it then.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
This only affects intra-European flights, right?
Of course, with their ridiculous on-time performance for the longhaul flights, people may not even notice if the longhaul pilots were on strike...

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:05 am
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
This only affects intra-European flights, right?
Of course, with their ridiculous on-time performance for the longhaul flights, people may not even notice if the longhair pilots were on strike...
Yes the long-haul flights are not affected at the moment. But they are also flying very close to normal on the intra-Europe rutes this weekend (looks like my son will be returning from Budapest on schedule!!!).

I was told on the phone that only about 70 pilots are out on strike now but that they expect more to join them from Tuesday/ Wednesday if matters are not resolved.
And then I wouldn't be so sure about about the long-hauls.

I'll be happy to post information here as I will be checking anyway (my son's class has a school trip starting in about a week's time and I just noticed that they are flying Norwegian - some sort of group booking with a travel agency).
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:08 pm
Suspended

- 60 pilots and cabin crew called in sick today.
- Another 650 pilots to go on strike on Wednesday.
- the cabin crew union has issued a notice of intent to go on a sympathy strike. 750 cabin crew affected.

http://www.nrk.no/norge/varsler-symp...ene-1.12236172
(In Norwegian)

Who do they think they are? Strike-when-we-feel-like-it SAS employees?
They have an opportunity to take advantage of the SAS strike and try to attact more customers to Norwegian, and this is how the pilots and cabin crew unions react?

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Mar 1, 2015 at 6:09 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:29 pm
Suspended

- On Wednesday, 35,000 travelers will be affected when DY cancel all domestic flights in Sweden, Denmark, and Norway.
- 700 pilots will be on strike, starting Wednesday.
- 800 flight attendants will be furloughed without pay, starting Wednesday.
- long haul currently not affected.
- DY will seek to use wet leases to replace their own equipment and staff.
- DY currently sources 250 Swedish FAs through Proffice. Unclear how they will be affected.
- SK currently does not have any plans to add extra capacity to meet the increased demand.

http://www.sydsvenskan.se/ekonomi/no...rmitterar-800/

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Mar 3, 2015 at 2:30 pm
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Glad that I am not flying Norwegian. Will keep it that way.
I am getting too lazy and try to book airlines which I know hassle-free (are there ANY really?) even if it incurs some price premium. As far as the pricing is OK, it has been OK for my employer as well, luckily, even if we have "cheapest possible -policy"
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:32 pm
Suspended

According to DY, intercontinental flights are operated "as planned", which apparently means the following:
CPH-LAX yesterday - arrived 2 hours late
OSL-JFK yesterday - arrived 2 hours late
LGW-JFK yesterday - arrived 39 minutes late
CPH-FLL today - estimated arrival 47 minutes late
CPH-JFK today - estimated arrival 10 minutes late

If that's "as planned", it speaks volumes about DY.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I'm scheduled to fly FCO to OSL on Monday flight 1873. I saw it arrived on time yesterday. Based on this news should I make alternate plans? I have to be in OSL so I can rearrange my plans if need be.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I'm scheduled to fly FCO to OSL on Monday flight 1873. I saw it arrived on time yesterday. Based on this news should I make alternate plans? I have to be in OSL so I can rearrange my plans if need be.
It seems to be the domestic/intra-Scandinavian DY flights that got clobbered, while the DY fights to/from non-Scandinavian airports were in the range of normal for DY. But that is just so far.

Given some of the shell/shelf company games that DY management is playing, I wouldn't be surprised if things get more messy.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
So far intra-Scandinavian flights seem to be hit the hardest. Wednesday all domestic flights in Norway were cancelled.

I also got a mail from one of the unions who support this strike. The main reason why they claim to support the strike is that Big Bad Bjørn is 'attacking the traditional work values in Norway'.

To be honest, if you want 'traditional Norwegian work values', you should work for the local shop in Leknes or Hammerfest, not for an internationally operating company that also happens to work in a world wide highly competitive market.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UltraRant
So far intra-Scandinavian flights seem to be hit the hardest. Wednesday all domestic flights in Norway were cancelled.

I also got a mail from one of the unions who support this strike. The main reason why they claim to support the strike is that Big Bad Bjørn is 'attacking the traditional work values in Norway'.

To be honest, if you want 'traditional Norwegian work values', you should work for the local shop in Leknes or Hammerfest, not for an internationally operating company that also happens to work in a world wide highly competitive market.
^^^^^^^^
My Facebook is swarmed with support for theese second pilot brats complaining abouth getting only abouth 35000 NOK,net,after tax ,a month, for a rota of 5 days on,4 days off.OK,deduct abouth 5000 for their monthly down payment on their loan for the training,they still get abouth 350-400 K ,net, for a job requireing a very short education,how many other in Norway get that,on a monthly pay check basis,not as a self employed risk taker,at their educational levell ???

Last edited by geirfugl; Mar 6, 2015 at 4:35 am
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
According to DY, intercontinental flights are operated "as planned", which apparently means the following:
CPH-LAX yesterday - arrived 2 hours late
OSL-JFK yesterday - arrived 2 hours late
LGW-JFK yesterday - arrived 39 minutes late
CPH-FLL today - estimated arrival 47 minutes late
CPH-JFK today - estimated arrival 10 minutes late

If that's "as planned", it speaks volumes about DY.
That is absolutely normal for DY. Unfortunately.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It seems to be the domestic/intra-Scandinavian DY flights that got clobbered, while the DY fights to/from non-Scandinavian airports were in the range of normal for DY. But that is just so far.

Given some of the shell/shelf company games that DY management is playing, I wouldn't be surprised if things get more messy.
Today's flight was cancelled. I'll look for other options.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
That is absolutely normal for DY. Unfortunately.
No,-it speaks volumes abouth the traveling public,not DY,DY understands that there is a substantial segment which acceps this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.