Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Europe to Hawaii non-stop on DY?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Europe to Hawaii non-stop on DY?

Saw this: http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...ghts-to-hawaii - now also quoted in many danish newspapers.

While I would hate to take that long trip on DY I wonder why no other (and better) airlines have found it good business to establish a non-stop Europe-Hawaii route (considering the many other leisure destinations out of LGW and the huge benefits of a non-stop (US westcoast transit sucks ))? The aircraft have been capable of this distance for years now (A345, 777-300ER, 787 and soon A350). Any info from anyone?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:18 pm

What aircraft will they use when their 787s are grounded over, and over, and over again?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:27 pm

Actually, many people prefer to make a connection ex-Europe to Hawaii. That connection need not be on the US west coast. One can make single connections in the eastern US (EWR, IAD, JFK, ATL), in the interior US (ORD, DEN, DFW, IAH), or in Canada (YVR).

Some year ago, one could connect at ANC. While Europe to ANC nonstops have come back, there is little chance that HNL-ANC will ever be resumed.

There has long been talk of Hawaii-Europe nonstops. Hawaii thought about it earlier this year and Thompson last year:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...nl-europe.html
http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/b...ay-fly-to.html

Most airlines have likely stayed away from Europe-Hawaii nonstops as there is very little business traffic to be had and as a result the average seat-per-mile price on flights ex-Hawaii is low.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This thread topic has been moved into the Budget European Airlines forum.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Actually, many people prefer to make a connection ex-Europe to Hawaii. That connection need not be on the US west coast. One can make single connections in the eastern US (EWR, IAD, JFK, ATL), in the interior US (ORD, DEN, DFW, IAH), or in Canada (YVR).

Some year ago, one could connect at ANC. While Europe to ANC nonstops have come back, there is little chance that HNL-ANC will ever be resumed.

There has long been talk of Hawaii-Europe nonstops. Hawaii thought about it earlier this year and Thompson last year:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...nl-europe.html
http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/b...ay-fly-to.html

Most airlines have likely stayed away from Europe-Hawaii nonstops as there is very little business traffic to be had and as a result the average seat-per-mile price on flights ex-Hawaii is low.
Know of any major non-LCC's who have been considering this route? My view is ANY transit in the US is to be avoided as it is a huge hazzle. I always transit in Europe when going to the US so I can fly direct in there without transit. (2+ hrs immigration wait at IAD was my last experience of US transit - never again). But I shy away from DY and their 'Longhaul-let's-register-the-planes-in-Ireland-and-use-low-pay-thai-crews'-policy which I think if implemented widely by more airlines could be the death of all EU and US airlines operating with civilized conditions for their employees. But a non-stop to Hawaii from Europe would be very appealing -on any other airline.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The fact that there is no transit in the US is irrelevant to the Hawaii market as Hawaii is in the US. Thus, one will process through CBP somewhere.

Ultra longhauls typically have very high fares, largely because they are expensive to operate and there are tradeoffs to keep weight down. But, Hawaii is a downscale market with little demand for high-end business fares.

Business class (or the intermediate premium cabin where there is both F & J) is typically the most profitable for a carrier and makes up for deep discounts in steerage. But, it is highly unlikely that Europe-Hawaii will support the fare structure for J on other long-hauls.

Given the vast # of connection points in the USA, e.g. East, Midwest, Mountain and West, there are routes for all tastes and many of the connections to do not amount to significant delays.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by GreatDane
Know of any major non-LCC's who have been considering this route?
Hawaiian is not a LCC. It is a well established airline - with service going back to 1926 - and multiple classes of service. Nor is Hawaiian all that small either. It also has a fairly large network extending northwards to Anchorage, southwards to Sydney and Auckland, eastwards to Beijing, and westwards to New York City.

Virgin Atlantic pondered the idea as well. http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...t-6281263.html
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The fact that there is no transit in the US is irrelevant to the Hawaii market as Hawaii is in the US. Thus, one will process through CBP somewhere.

Ultra longhauls typically have very high fares, largely because they are expensive to operate and there are tradeoffs to keep weight down. But, Hawaii is a downscale market with little demand for high-end business fares.

Business class (or the intermediate premium cabin where there is both F & J) is typically the most profitable for a carrier and makes up for deep discounts in steerage. But, it is highly unlikely that Europe-Hawaii will support the fare structure for J on other long-hauls.

Given the vast # of connection points in the USA, e.g. East, Midwest, Mountain and West, there are routes for all tastes and many of the connections to do not amount to significant delays.
True, but that's the exact same argument people used against Long-haul LCCs and Norwegian are still struggling along.

And no, not having to make a connection in a US airport is not "irrelevant". Of course you have to do it somewhere for Hawaii, but half way through when you have another plane to catch probably isn't the best time for most people! Last year I was held at the border for additional questioning for about 2 hours (after the 1 hour already spent in line) then (if I'm remembering the order correctly?) had to line up again for customs. I can (only just!) live with that on arrival, but that making me miss a connection...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
While Europe to ANC nonstops have come back, there is little chance that HNL-ANC will ever be resumed.
Nor is Hawaiian all that small either. It also has a fairly large network extending northwards to Anchorage,
So - does Hawaiian fly to ANC, or not?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
So - does Hawaiian fly to ANC, or not?
Alaska Airlines does. Took them this summer. Very nice flight indeed.

Alaska 870 - Departs Anchorage (ANC) 2:50 PM - Arrives Honolulu (HNL) 6:49 PM. Total: 2782 miles - 5 h 59 m.

They fly it on a 737-800.

Svantevit
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by Svantevit
Alaska Airlines does. Took them this summer. Very nice flight indeed.

Alaska 870 - Departs Anchorage (ANC) 2:50 PM - Arrives Honolulu (HNL) 6:49 PM. Total: 2782 miles - 5 h 59 m.

They fly it on a 737-800.

Svantevit
Yes, Alaska Airlines has provided ANC-Hawaii service for several years. Hawaiian Air no longer serves the route.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Sounds like an ideal case for DY then, as it focuses largely on tourism (and has no real business product). Any business travelers would have to settle for a eco plus seat instead of a business seat. Or a few extra hours in some airport lounge of course, if punctuality doesn't improve...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.