Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Flights to US Will Cost Just 10 Euros on Ryanair

Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium

My favorite airline CEO, Mr. Michael O'Leary, has announced that once Ryanair acquires the needed long-haul aircraft, the airline will begin to offer transatlantic flights to the US (Boston and NYC) starting at 10 Euro a seat. Passengers will be expected to pay extra for everything from baggage to food. It'll unfortunately likely take several years for Ryanair to purchase those jets.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-30041838.html

I've never flown Ryanair and I'm not sure that I ever would, but I do love the headlines that this man can generate. Would you spend 10 Euros to fly between Europe and the US?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:02 pm

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
Originally Posted by FTcadence
I've never flown Ryanair and I'm not sure that I ever would, but I do love the headlines that this man can generate. Would you spend 10 Euros to fly between Europe and the US?
Not on Ryan Air.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, HiltonH, AA Advantage
Err, judging by the comments from pax on said Airline, he would have to offer a ridiculous fare to coax us on. It depends on whether you want cheap fares and don't mind how you're treated, or whether you want convenience and fair treatment from FAs.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Would you spend 10 Euros to fly between Europe and the US?
If the cost were really €10, I suspect most people would. But how much do those €10 tickets really cost?

In other words, when all is said and done, how much will I end up paying to Ryanair? Without that figure, it's impossible to compare to (for example) AA, where I don't have to pay extra for bags, fuel, or boarding passes.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: AP 50k
buy 3 fares for 30 euros, take up the entire row. Poor man's business class.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by bigjon94
Yeah, but it costs 90 euros each to reserve each 16 inch wide seat. 50 euros to raise each armrest. Thus 350 euros each way. If you dont pay the seat reservation fee, your 3 seats are spread across the plane
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:09 pm

While this will end up more the €10, it will still be cheap and other airlines will also be cheaper as a consequence.

If you dont pay the seat reservation fee, your 3 seats are spread across the plane
FT could have an exchange market to get people sitting beside someone else's empty seat!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
My favorite airline CEO, Mr. Michael O'Leary, has announced that once Ryanair acquires the needed long-haul aircraft, the airline will begin to offer transatlantic flights to the US (Boston and NYC) starting at 10 Euro a seat. Passengers will be expected to pay extra for everything from baggage to food. It'll unfortunately likely take several years for Ryanair to purchase those jets.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-30041838.html

I'd spend 30 Euros to buy three seats.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
must have missed his meds. on the day of the interview....
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Or buy the lot to fly in a poor man's private jet.

Originally Posted by bigjon94
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
http://www.cbc.ca/news/new-york-to-l...rline-1.658780 *cough*
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:49 pm

vaporware, vapor product just like the tech companies

This will be a vapor product just like the tech companies come up with fake products, software, etc to grab headlines. You will not even see 100 euro fare from Ryanair
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
It will never be 10euro even without extras such as suitcases, choosing seats etc ! !

It will be at a minimum about 100euro extra on top of the 10Euro fare, so booking three seats will not be a worthwhile lowcost opportunity/exercise, even before you pay extras to eg a)reserve seat in advance b)aisle/window seats are a premium
++ UK/Ireland airport Taxes
++ UK/Ireland Security Taxes

However with BA, and vaious US airlines, the biggest extra cost is the "FUEL SURCHARGE" . No idea if Ryanair will try to add this fuelsurcharge also to the 10euro !

Note -
I flew Bangkok in December on KLM, booked economy as in July. AND disastrously KLM NEW money Spinner ... I found first 30 rows of economy you could only reserve middle seats of the 3-4-3 configuration for free
*eg seats ABC DEFG HJK you can only pick B/EF/J the others all needed extra fees, AND that included during checkin at airport 2hours before flight.

KLM is not a budget airline, this really stinks !
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
How many times has O'Mouthy made such a comment? I can remember him saying this several years ago, but he's not really followed through and tried to secure long-range aircraft. Methinks Ryanair was out of headlines just a wee bit too long for his liking.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by langham123
Err, judging by the comments from pax on said Airline, he would have to offer a ridiculous fare to coax us on. It depends on whether you want cheap fares and don't mind how you're treated, or whether you want convenience and fair treatment from FAs.
You'd have to be pretty ignorant of the European airline industry to not accept that Ryanair is an enormously popular airline. Not for service (obviously), but for price. Which while may seem less important to many people on here, it is incredibly important to millions of others - hence why Ryanair has grown to such an enormous size.

RyanAtlantic has been hypothesised about for ages though - more than a decade? I don't see it happening any time soon. Especially with Norwegian now in the market - presumably they'll want to wait and see how they handle it first.

Originally Posted by scubaccr
It will never be 10euro even without extras such as suitcases, choosing seats etc ! !

It will be at a minimum about 100euro extra on top of the 10Euro fare, so booking three seats will not be a worthwhile lowcost opportunity/exercise, even before you pay extras to eg a)reserve seat in advance b)aisle/window seats are a premium
++ UK/Ireland airport Taxes
++ UK/Ireland Security Taxes

However with BA, and vaious US airlines, the biggest extra cost is the "FUEL SURCHARGE" . No idea if Ryanair will try to add this fuelsurcharge also to the 10euro !

Note -
I flew Bangkok in December on KLM, booked economy as in July. AND disastrously KLM NEW money Spinner ... I found first 30 rows of economy you could only reserve middle seats of the 3-4-3 configuration for free
*eg seats ABC DEFG HJK you can only pick B/EF/J the others all needed extra fees, AND that included during checkin at airport 2hours before flight.

KLM is not a budget airline, this really stinks !
There is no reason to believe that it wouldn't be available for €10 - it's exactly how Ryanair works. I've had numerous flights with them where I've paid less overall than just the taxes would have been. They also quote their sale fares inclusive of all taxes (they will pay them for you) and compulsory fees (i.e. fuel surcharges - which I don't believe they have at present anyway). There is no need whatsoever to pay to reserve a seat in advance - that's optional and many (most?) people are happy to be assigned a seat by Ryanair in exchange for a discount.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.