Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Hi All,

Norwegian announces nonstop ARN/CPH-FLL. Both route will have a twice-weekly service by operated A340-300 aircraft.

http://media.norwegian.com/en/#/pres...florida-846342

CPH-FLL will becomes effective Nov. 29, 2013.

ARN-FLL will becomes effective Dec. 1, 2013.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Norwegian announces nonstop ARN/CPH-FLL. Both route will have a twice-weekly service by operated A340-300 aircraft.
I thought it was supposed to be on 787 Dreamliners?

I'm disappointed that there will be no C class, only economy and premium economy. Would love to hear feedback about DY as my husband is pushing this option for our next trip to Florida.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It looks liek DY has enacted plan B to launch services even if the 787 is delayed:

http://media.norwegian.com/en/#/news...l-routes-55742

HiFly will operate the flights in wetlease using ancient 343. It seems each of their aircraft still has the original seats in them, so each has different interiors.

http://www.hifly.aero/en/photos

I guess the MRO guys have plenty of spares...

Although it looks like they are planning to use these two: http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/H...laned-a340.htm
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:43 am

sample int from their site, nice.

Fort Lauderdale-Florida - Copenhagen
Sunday 1. Dec 2013 21:30 - Terminal: 4
Flight DY7040 - LowFare
Operated by Norwegian Long Haul
1 Adult $234.00
Return
Copenhagen - Fort Lauderdale-Florida
Friday 21. Feb 2014 14:45 - Terminal: 2
Flight DY7039 - LowFare
1 Adult $275.80
Total price
incl. all taxes and surcharges $509.80
Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dwooley
sample int from their site, nice.

Fort Lauderdale-Florida - Copenhagen
Sunday 1. Dec 2013 21:30 - Terminal: 4
Flight DY7040 - LowFare
1 Adult $234.00
Return
Copenhagen - Fort Lauderdale-Florida
Friday 21. Feb 2014 14:45 - Terminal: 2
Flight DY7039 - LowFare
1 Adult $275.80
Total price
incl. all taxes and surcharges $509.80
Wow! You found a great deal, huh? Well, not bad at all.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SusanDK
I thought it was supposed to be on 787 Dreamliners?

I'm disappointed that there will be no C class, only economy and premium economy. Would love to hear feedback about DY as my husband is pushing this option for our next trip to Florida.
Actually, the 787-8 Dreamliner is delayed delivered. A340-300 is just only a temporarily.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:25 am

Actually, the 787-8 Dreamliner is delayed delivered. A340-300 is just only a temporarily.
I had thought that the A340 was only being brought in temporarily for New York and Bangkok. I've googled it now, however, and see this is also the case for Ft. Lauderdale - so my error. Thanks for the information!

I wonder how they'll price the seats during the time the A340s are being used. They are selling now as if the flight is on the 787, with econ and premium econ. If one purchases premium econ, will a business seat be assigned? I'll be keeping my eye on this.

Last edited by SusanDK; Mar 16, 2013 at 3:44 am
Old Mar 16, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
I am surprised at their entry into FLL. Icelandair could not make it work, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out for Norwegian.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Braniff
I am surprised at their entry into FLL. Icelandair could not make it work, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out for Norwegian.
I wish it had been MCO.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SusanDK
I wish it had been MCO.
Actually, SFB and not MCO. FI has flew it for a years now.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:57 am

Actually, SFB and not MCO. FI has flew it for a years now.
Yes, FI flies to SFB but via KEF. I was hoping that DY would do a non-stop from CPH to MCO (or SFB) instead of CPH-FLL.

Sterling had planned to fly direct CPH-MCO years ago, but it never materialized, first because FI bought a share of them and didn't want to compete with their own routes out of KEF, then of course, Sterling ceased to exist.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am much more thrilled with the CPH and ARN non-stop service to the FLL area as it works out so much better for non-Mickey Mouse travel and adult fun.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Didn't Britannia Airways has flew to FLL back in late-90s? So what happened to them?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Norwegian ARN/CPH-FLL

Apparently DY is giving SAS another run for their money with new services to FLL from both(!) ARN and CPH on their Dreamliners.

Surprisingly a new useful route from Scandinavia but more importantly ARN to Florida, instead of the usual parallel routes DY has mostly setup so far.

I've never understood why ARN-MIA wasn't already there due to the significant amount of passengers transferring towards MIA/FLL from SK to UA/AA at EWR and ORD.

If DY where to add a proper business class and join a relevant alliance at some point I might actually consider taking some of my longhaul business from SK/BA there due to the reduced travel time.

http://www.routes-news.com/news/1112...ort-lauderdale
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:35 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Florida is mainly tourist traffic with low yields, there is no connectivity with partners beyond FLL. Hardly an ideal market for SK. DY will probably be able to fill planes and even make some money of the route, picking off the tourist traffic from SK and others but doubtful SK are interested as the premium cabins will be difficult to fill. If DY can make it work, more power to them, I say. If SK have planes available (they don't) IAH or another high yielding North American hub would probably be of more interest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.