Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; Hilton Dimond; Marriott 3/3
Originally Posted by mike_one2many
Like a few folks reported on here, I just got a text from Norwegian that I'll be flying 772, not 787. I am booked in I (premium economy). Should I re-book for something else or is it possible I'll get J or F on the 772?
Originally Posted by Calchas
Wikipedia suggests that the aircraft has a 30J 293Y configuration.
Website seat map has been updated, and I am able to select a seat in the 772 aircraft - seat 15K. It is definitely J (good news, it's not Y; bad news it's not F).

Still considering rebooking...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:53 pm
sfx

Originally Posted by mike_one2many
Website seat map has been updated, and I am able to select a seat in the 772 aircraft - seat 15K. It is definitely J (good news, it's not Y; bad news it's not F).

Still considering rebooking...
well, you won't get W>F upgrade!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Thanks for the report.

The bolded part is slightly odd because US->Schengen transfers are not usually re-screened at HEL. Were you outside the primary terminal?
I'm sorry we actually flew LAX-ARN, not HEL.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by cdmca
Hello all,

ExpertFlyer shows that some seats on Norwegian's long haul transatlantic flights as "blocked" (not occupied).

I was wondering if anybody knows why. I am trying to choose seats and would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.
DY doesn't use the regular GDS in the traditional sense, so I would use EF data very carefully.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus
Seems like the first batch of British longhaul travellers gets to experience how it is being stuck with with Norwegian..
DY7096 LAX-LGW (dep 23 Jul) is currently showing a 2 DAY delay (40,5 hrs) ... expected departure is now 12.30 25 Jul from LAX...

http://www.norwegian.com/uk/customer...07&D_TIME=2000
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by SK1989
Seems like the first batch of British longhaul travellers gets to experience how it is being stuck with with Norwegian..
DY7096 LAX-LGW (dep 23 Jul) is currently showing a 2 DAY delay (40,5 hrs) ... expected departure is now 12.30 25 Jul from LAX...

http://www.norwegian.com/uk/customer...07&D_TIME=2000
Unbelievable.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
They're delaying flights out of FLL nearly 48 hours. Already re-scheduling for the 27th. All to avoid compensation for cancellation, I presume.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus
Originally Posted by rstlsgirl
They're delaying flights out of FLL nearly 48 hours. Already re-scheduling for the 27th. All to avoid compensation for cancellation, I presume.
I would think so since they are VERY reductant to paying compensation according to EU 261/2004...
They just claim extraordinary circumstances and blame Boeing for their own mess...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Canceled Norwegian Air Shuttle Flight Strands Hundreds at LAX for Days

A Norwegian Air flight (DY7096) from LAX to London was scheduled to leave Wednesday night, but a mechanical issue first delayed and then forced the flight to be cancelled.

The passengers were de-boarded and informed that they could book their own hotels for the night, but that they would not be compensated. Most LAX hotels turned out to be booked and many passengers ended up spending the night in the airport.

The flight was rescheduled for Thursday night at 8PM. It was delayed and then canceled because of a computer issue.

Most passengers are still waiting to fly back to the UK.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...268604312.html
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Interesting. My wife and 2 kids were supposed to be flying here ( florida ) today from gatwick to fort lauderdale. Was supposed to be 16.40 flight , got delayed until 2300 them next update said delayed until SUNDAY!.. I called their office in Norway and asked why they don't do the same as other airlines and get them on another flight from another airline - no answer to that.

Once it jumped to Sunday as delay , I booked them on virgin flight heathrow to miami Saturday at 12.30 and canceled norweigan for full redund. I am also going to request and then if I have to , Sue them for all expenses - 1,000 bucks airfare difference , taxi gatwick to heathrow etc.

Shame , as a English man living in west palm , this flight option was looking good , obviously too good to be true. Guess it back to using united pbi to lhr via ewr.

The disgraceful thing about all this is that there was no communication whatsoever - no text , email or anything updating passengers. When I called they just said plane stuck in fll for maintenance - yet more issues for dreamliner?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: air canada *A Gold, united, delta, american
What is the situation regarding compensation?

Here is a link to the European Union air passenger rights website, which appears to apply to the Norwegian Air Shuttle passengers' situation. Compensation would be due. What do you think?

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm

Last edited by cscs; Jul 25, 2014 at 10:44 pm Reason: added info
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:18 am

OSL-OAK Report

Hi all,

I've been reading with some interest all the comments and reports about bad experiences with Norwegian long-haul so I thought I'd post a quick report about a great experience with them on flight DY7063 from OSL-OAK yesterday the 25th.

First off, I had to fly suddenly from SFO to Bergen due to a medical emergency last Sunday (my mother had a stroke on a fjord cruise, she's doing better now, but it's going to be a while to recover). Getting to Bergen cost me $3500 walk-up fare on British Airways (although I made bronze on the flight, not that that matters much).

I needed to be home by Saturday (today) to get back to work. I looked for flights on Thursday but nothing was going to work. I then checked Norwegian for Friday and their walk-up fare from Bergen-Oslo-Oakland was $1500 walk-up in premium economy.

My flight from Bergen to Oslo was scheduled for 1200 and it left exactly on time and arrived a few minutes early. I had a 3 hour layover at the ariport so I got some food and a beer ($45, yikes!!). I headed to the gate about 1420 for the 1600 flight and the brand new 787 was sitting at the gate (got a few pictures but don't have time to post right now), which was a good sign. We boarded early and backed away spot-on at 1600.

The seat pitch is advertised at 46". I'm 6'2" and I could barely reach the seat in front of me. The recline was great, the IFE screen was perfectly adequate. One note, I was 5C and row 5 is missing a window.

The food was okay, nothing spectacular, but included in the premium fare, as was beer/wine/booze. The crew was also fine, from what I could tell they were all Americans. Also, I thought it was weird that not a single announcement was in Norwegian, but of course, that didn't actually bother me.

Arrival in Oakland was a few minutes early. Since it is the only flight customs was a breeze. There were only 3 agents, but it seemed like everyone was through in 30 minutes or so. Since I only live about 10 minutes from OAK I called my wife and was home within an hour of getting off the plane.

All in all, I thought it was a great experience and wouldn't hesitate to fly with Norwegian again (although I'm sure being in premium economy helped!)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Tim
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:42 am

Can someone please explain to me how Norwegian Air Shuttle can
deny hotel rooms to passengers after the flight was cancelled due
to mechanical issues?

Or is it just a case of them not being able to find hotel rooms? If so,
will the passengers be compensated for the hotel bills if they get
to London?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Interesting. My wife and 2 kids were supposed to be flying here ( florida ) today from gatwick to fort lauderdale. Was supposed to be 16.40 flight , got delayed until 2300 them next update said delayed until SUNDAY!
Friday's DY7045 to FLL still hasn't departed LGW.

The rescheduled departure time of 0850 on Sunday was pushed back to 1010, then 1100, now 1200.

And today's DY7095 from LGW to LAX is also showing a 2hr15 delay.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
Friday's DY7045 to FLL still hasn't departed LGW.

The rescheduled departure time of 0850 on Sunday was pushed back to 1010, then 1100, now 1200.

And today's DY7095 from LGW to LAX is also showing a 2hr15 delay.
where are the passengers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.