Easyjet Ash Backup Plans?

Old May 17, 2010, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Easyjet Ash Backup Plans?

Sorry, not sure where to place this thread...

The wife and I have an Easyjet flight booked for next month from CDG to EDI departing at ~4:30pm. Any suggestions on how to mitigate the risk of our Easyjet flight being canceled due to the ash cloud? We've got a B&B booked in Edinburgh that night and we have limited time in town so it would be optimal that we make it there by end of the day.

Obviously there a lot of unknowns but...
- We'll obviously check their website day of for any bulletins.
- Our backup plan is to train it thru the chunnel and up to Scotland. Just concerned about getting a refund from Easyjet.
- We'll also likely push back by a day a tour we wanted to take in Edinburgh
Old May 17, 2010, 4:01 pm

If your flight is canceled of severly delayed you SHOULD be able to get a refund for your flight.

However, getting money back from your hotel and other related expenses can be tricky.

You're in the same position as the rest of Europe, so cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Last edited by ClimbGuy; May 17, 2010 at 11:54 pm
Old May 17, 2010, 11:48 pm

I wouldn't count on the backup plan, because trains are getting sold out when these type of events occur. I'd be thinking longer-term, like what city are you flying back to Canada from, and when you do have to be there?

Another possibility, if unpleasant, is to take the bus from Paris to Edinburgh.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the heads up on the trains! Exactly the advice I was looking for. Yes, I suppose we'll have to look into potential bus options.

Alternatively, we're not too concerned if our return flight is delayed. We'll just book a few more days off from work. "Sorry, can't make it back... it's the ash!" Well, I guess we'd have to see if we can extend out stay at the hotel we're staying at in London tho.
Old May 19, 2010, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Jay71
Thank you for the heads up on the trains! Exactly the advice I was looking for. Yes, I suppose we'll have to look into potential bus options.

Alternatively, we're not too concerned if our return flight is delayed. We'll just book a few more days off from work. "Sorry, can't make it back... it's the ash!" Well, I guess we'd have to see if we can extend out stay at the hotel we're staying at in London tho.
As other posters have said - there is no way of predicting demand on other forms of transport. The only sure thing is that Eurostar WILL gouge you as will other express train services in France.

Dependent on your flight back to Canada, why not consider a leisurely few days in Normandyetc, close to channel ports, accessible from Paris and full of interesting stuff. Then you can book from a selection of short ferry crossings and be in London in time for tea
Old May 19, 2010, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farci
<snip> The only sure thing is that Eurostar WILL gouge you as will other express train services in France.

Dependent on your flight back to Canada, why not consider a leisurely few days in Normandyetc, close to channel ports, <snip>
I suppose it's going to be a fluid situation that we're going to have to stay on top of but we're hoping that if we do take the Eurostar that we'll be able get a passholder's rate with our Britrail pass.

Would love to spend time in the Normandy region but unfortunately, the way our itinerary is set up, it probably wouldn't be practical even with delays.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.