Search

AirAsia X to restart London flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

AirAsia X to restart London flights

http://www.ausbt.com.au/airasia-x-to...n=home-flipper
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:42 pm

Just last week it was reported they were struggling to pay wages.

Will they last long enough to launch this service?

http://www.humanresourcesonline.net/...laries-report/
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-how-post.html will send to the appropriate airlines forum.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
This thread has been moved.

I'd love to see if AAX can make it stack up. I used them when they flew STN-KUL and thought they were ok.

However, if you look at indirect flights from LON to the ASEAN region Kayak, in particular BKK, AAX are going to find it tough. I don't think the low cost model works on long haul. The savings compared with short-haul just aren't there.

Fernandes comment with Johnson is irrelevant. The London airports are privately operated; the main influence of the Mayor is publicity - BoJo was in the ASEAN region this week...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Problem is their current fleet is not very good at cost management as far as fuel consumption for long haul flights. Low cost carriers live and die by the aircraft they use and the amount of money they save on fuel costs....

They made a pretty big error on this part of their selection of assets for this KUL-STD route.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It would seem a partnership, codeshare & interline, with Norwegian Air (Shuttle) would be wise if the KUL-LGW is resurrected. Would bring traffic from the US (mostly East Coast) and to many destinations within Europe.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by londonbus
This thread has been moved.

I'd love to see if AAX can make it stack up. I used them when they flew STN-KUL and thought they were ok.

However, if you look at indirect flights from LON to the ASEAN region Kayak, in particular BKK, AAX are going to find it tough. I don't think the low cost model works on long haul. The savings compared with short-haul just aren't there.

Fernandes comment with Johnson is irrelevant. The London airports are privately operated; the main influence of the Mayor is publicity - BoJo was in the ASEAN region this week...
Apologies for digging up an old thread. I never understood why this route wasn't profitable for them. The planes were always near full presumably because no one matched them on fares - I flew regularly for them for around GBP450-500 return compared to MH who I now fly regularly with at GBP750 return at a minimum. Maybe charging GBP500 a seat didn't even cover their costs?

If they start flying again I'd happily ditch MH again to save the cash (even if it means I have to forgo the occasional miles upgrade to Business )
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Also, apparently according to sources at OOL and AKL, Air Asia X is soon to announce KUL-OOL-AKL
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pepsi1336
Also, apparently according to sources at OOL and AKL, Air Asia X is soon to announce KUL-OOL-AKL
I've heard that rumour too. Due to start in December just in time for the peak AKL-OOL school holiday traffic and the QLD->South-East Asia schoolie season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.