Is July the Most Expensive Month to Fly?

Old Sep 18, 2009, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Is July the Most Expensive Month to Fly?

I'm looking at flights next July from London to Los Angeles.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...on=LAX&cabin=M

Flights start at £635 whereas the others start at £370.

Is it expensive because it's July or is it because it's 10 months in Advance? Will the price go down?

When is the best price to book a July Flight? Does anyone know the average price?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Cost of flights to EZE

Does anyone know why WT+ flights from LHR to EZE jump from £950 return in June to £2,500 return from July - Sep 10?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 1:45 am

What you're both probably finding is that the cheap fare buckets haven't been loaded yet. Give it a few weeks and the July fares should drift into line with June.

[Mod hat]Merged into a single thread since both were pretty much the same question [/mod hat]
Old Sep 19, 2009, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to FT nv103. ^

It is a long time until next July. I expect that the lowest fares are not available for sale yet.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Also, the current sale is on flights till the end of June.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:21 pm

So when would be the best time to book for July next year?
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Cosby
Depends possibly on what Cabin you want to be in.
However if you are going for the cheapest economy ticket I would suggest the first thing to note is the tax and surcharges applicable to a fare...write it down as in all probability it isn't going to go down , it's a given. You are now left with the part of the fare that can go up and down any time before you actually book.
Ultimately if you think you may save another £20 by waiting, you have to weigh that against it going dramatically the other way instead.
Decide on a price , if it comes close, just book it and don't look again.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 1:43 pm

What I am planning is WTP tickets to to NY next summer, back from LV three weeks later, using my miles to upgrade to CW.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
In a sale.

When's the next sale? Well, that has a thread all to itself, but there are a few sales that spring up regularly - I believe that there is usually one in January which may cover fares out as far as July. I'm certainly waiting for one for CW/F seats I want in May 2010 (and if one doesn't come up before then, hard luck to me - I'll just have to consider other carriers).
Old Sep 27, 2009, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
What I am planning is WTP tickets to to NY next summer, back from LV three weeks later, using my miles to upgrade to CW.
Then you also need to factor in the award availability as well as the actual flight cost - will be no good if the fare goes down if there are no upgrade opportunities left.

FWIW I booked in last November to go to LAX in July precisely because I needed the award seats (and i got the last 3 at the time). Paid £1000 each in WTP. Hammy's advice is right too - book it and resist the urge to look again!
Old Sep 27, 2009, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
I tend to find that between 8-4 months before travel is when you get the best deals.

I do check most fares every 3-5 days or so. When you feel comfortable, you need to hit the trigger and do not look back!

Only once have i bought exactly 330 days in advance!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.