Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA loses Prime Minister charter contract to Virgin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA loses Prime Minister charter contract to Virgin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2009, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by AdrianS
Why? What's wrong with the front rows on VS? What's better about BA in F?
I would have thought the layout of a 4 class BA aircraft is better suited for a charter full of journalists and other guests, so the PM and his aides have the F cabin to themselves to discuss business in private. The BA F seat is more amenable to working than the VS UCS.

Tony Blair in BA F was the image for the front cover of Alastair Campbell's book "The Blair Years". Link

Perhaps Gordon is not a fan of the 777?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
I understood that the seats at the back of the plane are sold to members of the media following the PM and his entourage and this claws back a lot of the charter costs. TV often showed pictures of Tony Blair being interviewed in the air and back in Y talking to newpaper reporters.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 2:53 pm

As long a BA still has the Queen, then they have The Kingdom.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:19 pm

At least it means that the management pilots monthly tests on the impact load of runways wont be televised so frequently
Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Need4Speed
"Blair Force One" was going to cost in the region of £12M per year:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1826731.ece

Brown quite rightly decided to cancel Blair Force One:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...27/gordonbrown
...and yet benefit fraud costs us £3 billion per annum. Good that we've got our priorities straight.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
While I agree with your general sentiment I'll make an exception in the case of this to**er!

On the bright side, at least there's now no chance of me bumping in to him in LHR T5 GF. If I did there's every chance I'd have blood on my hands.
My sentiments exactly, although I wouldn't have blood on my hands, as I do not wish to be within 100 metres of that man. I'd like him to travel by the night bus that people talk about (I've never been on it, but it does sound dreadful).
Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
Let's remember it's the Office of the Prime Minister this applies to. There'll be a General Election soon
Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nyghtwing
As long a BA still has the Queen, then they have The Kingdom.
Exactly - people finding their own levels so to speak! I'm sure Mr Brown will feel quite at home in Chav Central. And for those who can tell the difference between a cheap veneer of glitz and the real thing, there remains BA.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
But VS does not have a first class cabin.

Whatever you might think about Mr Brown the Prime Minister of the UK should travel in F.
In the case of Mr Brown, I think he deserves Ryan Air and nothing else.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:09 pm

I think he deserves Ryan Air and nothing else.
Virgin Galactic is the most popular suggestion on the BA BALPA forum. One way.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Virgin Galactic is the most popular suggestion on the BA BALPA forum. One way.
I like that suggestion rather a lot.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Despite all the cynicism, this is quite a blow for BA. I think it is quite hard to miss the fact that when the PM is on the news boarding or landing, his aircraft is usually a BA 747. I think the biggest twit in the PM's office is the person who agreed to VS...in all seriousness, it doesn't exactly give a great impression to the rest of the world if our PM gets off (excuse the pun) from a Virgin Atlantic aircraft with some crude slogan on it...like 'mine's bigger than yours'. What a shambles. I still advocate that the PM's office (and the Queen) should have bought a Concorde (compliments of the tax payer) and flown in style - that really would have been something special and a symbol to the world of British excellence. ^

Also...wasn't it Mr Brown who recently had a strop over the food served to him on BA? Hope he enjoys his half cooked steak pie and veg on VS.

Hopefully it won't be too long before BA are back to transport our PM (in F) with a touch of dignity and class.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It seems quite appropriate to me that the PM , when travelling on business, travel in business class and also very appropriate that the contract be chosen based based on cost. If BA want to charge 20-30% more, then quite right to switch

Dave
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
I'm surprised it took Labour this long to dump this prominent vestige of Britain's Tory days.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:24 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
My sentiments exactly, although I wouldn't have blood on my hands, as I do not wish to be within 100 metres of that man. I'd like him to travel by the night bus that people talk about (I've never been on it, but it does sound dreadful).
Perhaps a little OT, but it's actually very difficult to get that close to the man these days. His protection officers have been sunstantially increased...many of which are now plain clothed armed officers forming a 'secondary' boundary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.