Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Hand Baggage Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
BA Hand Baggage Question

I shall be flying to Fiji once again next week, this time with BA, AA and FJ (eek). I'd like to take my larger DSLR camera with me and would like to know if the following will be ok on the BA flight:

- Fairly standard laptop case (laptop, power supply, portable HDs and perhaps an extra lens squeezed in.

- Small DSLR bag (basically, just enough to fit around a mid sized DSLR with lens attached + extra batteries and memory cards).

Would this be ok on the BA flight or do they have a strict one bag limit? My other option is my Samsonite cabin bag which I could shoe horn everything into, including a change of clothes or two (fits length wise into the overhead bin of most aircraft) though this might break weight restrictions.....
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Two bags is okay - one laptop and one rollon within the measurements. Weight limit is 23kg on BA cabin baggage.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No problem. From ba.com

Hand baggage allowances
Passenger Type of baggage allowed
Adults and children (aged 2 and over)
One standard-sized bag
and
One laptop-sized bag, handbag or briefcase

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...=searchResults
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Thanks

That's surprisingly generous. I know I'll be ok with AA but not sure of FJ so I'll hedge my bets and go with the one rolling bag (with laptop in front pocket for security checks - and stick the laptop bag in my hold luggage).
Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Internaut
That's surprisingly generous. I know I'll be ok with AA but not sure of FJ so I'll hedge my bets and go with the one rolling bag (with laptop in front pocket for security checks - and stick the laptop bag in my hold luggage).
Watch out for the rolling bag dimensions. I have come across many Internet luggage sites who say "airline approved" and they are a mile over the BA dimensions.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Two bags is okay - one laptop and one rollon within the measurements. Weight limit is 23kg on BA cabin baggage.
I agree with the first part (bag within dimensions i.e. those bins they have at check in) plus laptop/briefcase/handbag, but where do you get the weight limit from? I thought (subject to the rules already mentioned) any weight was ok provided that the passenger could lift the hand luggage into the overhead lockers unaided?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OPebble
Watch out for the rolling bag dimensions. I have come across many Internet luggage sites who say "airline approved" and they are a mile over the BA dimensions.
That's always been a constant source of confusion for me. Airlines have these guides that indicate one size and let the passengers bring on something different. I always have a couple of re-usable Tote shopping bags to hand just in case I need to do an emergency relocation of laptop and camera equipment (never had to do that though). Certainly, my rolling bag has been accepted on every other airline I've been on (just not tried it on BA yet ).
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FrancisA
but where do you get the weight limit from? I thought (subject to the rules already mentioned) any weight was ok provided that the passenger could lift the hand luggage into the overhead lockers unaided?
Ah that's the clever bit - It's all down to calculus. You see BA used to advertise the maximum weight for cabin bags then realised there was no need.

The maximum dimensions of a carry on bag can be no more than 22ins x 18ins x 10ins. One then has to work out the volume of the bag and assuming that not many people are going to carry a bag of feathers you do your calculations on the heaviest material likely to be carried - say lead piping for instance..............and bingo you come to the figure of 23kg. Impossible to have it any heavier unless you're planning on carrying plutonium in your cabin bag of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.