Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

for US members a new way to become a silver member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2009, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA plat, Hilton diamond, Marriott plat for life , BA silver, Hertz prez circle, Etihad Gold

and it costs only $75.
cheaper than any ticket i know of..

dear xxx,

As a valued and loyal Executive Club member, you can enjoy an upgrade to Silver membership.¹ Simply apply and be approved for a British Airways Visa Signature® card. With this first-time offer, you'll no longer need to accrue the normal 600 points to start enjoying the benefits of a Silver membership.

Silver membership provides access to our inviting worldwide lounges² where you can relax in style and comfort, enjoy a delicious meal, or simply get a little work done before your flight. As a Silver member, you'll also receive 25% bonus BA Miles every time you fly British Airways.

This unprecedented offer ends soon. Be sure to apply and be approved for your British Airways Visa Signature card by
May 31, 2009, to enjoy your Executive Club Silver membership for an entire year.³ Then, keep flying with us to take full advantage of your new card and Silver member benefits.4

Warm regards,

xxxxxxxxxx
Vice President, Marketing

tERMS AND CONDITIONS

1. Silver Tier membership offer is only valid if you are approved for the British Airways Visa card prior to May 31, 2009. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment.
2. Lounge access is not available on Alaska Airlines, JAL or Emirates - except when members are flying on a oneworld® partner codeshare flight with a British Airways flight number prefix. Guest access to lounges is subject to capacity.
3. At the end of the first membership year, a new membership card will be issued at the Blue, Silver or Gold Tier depending upon the number of Tier Points accrued.
4. As an Executive ClubSilver member, you'll earn a bonus of 25% BA Miles whenever you fly with
British Airways or Quantas. Instead of 1 BA Mile for every mile flown, you will receive 1.25
BA Miles. However, when you fly on a discounted economy fare, you'll earn 25% of the actual miles you fly, plus your tier bonus.
* View full disclosures: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...c/public/en_us
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
I should check if I am using my permanent US address or my London address for the year with BA. Any place in particular to sign up for this offer, or is this a for you only special offer?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
This is a very generous offer ^

$75 to have silver (Sapphire) in OW is indeed great value if you have some flights per year.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA plat, Hilton diamond, Marriott plat for life , BA silver, Hertz prez circle, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by Jwet
I should check if I am using my permanent US address or my London address for the year with BA. Any place in particular to sign up for this offer, or is this a for you only special offer?
recd via email by my mrs...
try the link on the bottom....

or www.chase.com/ba
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Nice to see the spelling mistake - "Quantas".
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Wow. That's quite some incentive to apply for a credit card! As a BA gold did they send it to you? Seems odd to send such an offer to a gold. Or was it someone you know who is presumably only a blue?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
This really annoys me. I have had a BA visa since the early 90s and have never had an offer like this. I can't believe they are giving away silver.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Completely de-values Silver in my opinion.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RAJWADIA
and it costs only $75.
cheaper than any ticket i know of..

dear xxx,

As a valued and loyal Executive Club member, you can enjoy an upgrade to Silver membership.¹ Simply apply and be approved for a British Airways Visa Signature® card. With this first-time offer, you'll no longer need to accrue the normal 600 points to start enjoying the benefits of a Silver membership.

Silver membership provides access to our inviting worldwide lounges² where you can relax in style and comfort, enjoy a delicious meal, or simply get a little work done before your flight. As a Silver member, you'll also receive 25% bonus BA Miles every time you fly British Airways.

This unprecedented offer ends soon. Be sure to apply and be approved for your British Airways Visa Signature card by
May 31, 2009, to enjoy your Executive Club Silver membership for an entire year.³ Then, keep flying with us to take full advantage of your new card and Silver member benefits.4

Warm regards,

xxxxxxxxxx
Vice President, Marketing

tERMS AND CONDITIONS

1. Silver Tier membership offer is only valid if you are approved for the British Airways Visa card prior to May 31, 2009. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment.
2. Lounge access is not available on Alaska Airlines, JAL or Emirates - except when members are flying on a oneworld® partner codeshare flight with a British Airways flight number prefix. Guest access to lounges is subject to capacity.
3. At the end of the first membership year, a new membership card will be issued at the Blue, Silver or Gold Tier depending upon the number of Tier Points accrued.
4. As an Executive ClubSilver member, you'll earn a bonus of 25% BA Miles whenever you fly with
British Airways or Quantas. Instead of 1 BA Mile for every mile flown, you will receive 1.25
BA Miles. However, when you fly on a discounted economy fare, you'll earn 25% of the actual miles you fly, plus your tier bonus.
* View full disclosures: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...c/public/en_us
Was it targeted? Or was the link just the generic one you provided above?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
I have to agree that's actually quite good value. If I was a blue member living in the US and did at least 3-4 OW flights a year, then I'd definitely sign up for this.

The credit card signup offers are always much more generous on that side of the pond
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA EC, UA
Originally Posted by Genius1
Completely de-values Silver in my opinion.
Agree. (Except truthfully, it may just be sour grapes on my part.) I got a BA Visa at the end of last year, and while I got 20,000 miles, which was nice, no TPs. The whole point of TPs is that you actually have to FLY to get them--otherwise, if they give away TPs, how is BAEC actually a "FF" program any more?

I've already done my 3 TATLs in just around 6 months, and have another booked for July. So I'll make silver the old-fashioned way, and will be happy for others who get it free for a year.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Thumbs down

That explains the Gold Card that fell out of my packet of muesli this morning.
And when I've collected three tokens from the Daily Mail this week I can send them in for a lifetime Premier card.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by TuxTraveller
I have to agree that's actually quite good value. If I was a blue member living in the US and did at least 3-4 OW flights a year, then I'd definitely sign up for this.

The credit card signup offers are always much more generous on that side of the pond

I guess you walked up hill both ways to school every day? In the snow?

One thing the US doesn't get is the AMEX 241 deals. Also, have you looked at the price of tickets recently? When the pound sank about 30% against the dollar it opened up a considerable gap in the prices ex-UK versus ex-US.

As for this offer, I assume it's targeted and not open to all new members because it isn't on the Chase BA web site. Even if a few one-year Silver cards are given away, how much difference will it really make? How many people will qualify for renewal who wouldn't have already earned the card in the regular way? Given that we still have to do 4 flights a year on BA, just being an OW member isn't enough, though of course some people might pay the $75 for one year lounge access I suppose, though they can get that and more with a fancy US AMEX.

Overall this isn't the begining of a tidal wave of horrible, noisy Yanks polluting BA. Sorry to disappoint!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Is this for real? The lack of an actual link to the offer and the incorrect spelling of Qantas make this look a bit dubious...
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by seanp7
Is this for real? The lack of an actual link to the offer and the incorrect spelling of Qantas make this look a bit dubious...
Having another read of the post it does appear dubious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.