Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

F & J - Flattening the seat [How long do you wait?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver

Hello All,

When the aircraft wheels have left the ground, at what point do you flatten the seat into a bed? I've felt a little guilty flattening the seat 5 minutes after takeoff, as I need get as much sleep on my short 6hr 40 min overnight flight back to LHR.

So what are you views on this?
Cheers
J
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: QF, TG, JL
for me - once the seat belt sign is off. Untill then the aircraft is still "taking off" and the takeoff and landing rules apply.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by X_Class
for me - once the seat belt sign is off. Untill then the aircraft is still "taking off" and the takeoff and landing rules apply.
What happens if the aircraft spends the first two hours of the flight going through turbulence and the seat belt signs don't go off? Surely the aircraft isn't still "taking off"?

I would think once the crew get out of their seats then the take-off rules no longer apply. You should certainly be able to recline your seat then, which you can't do during take-off. Turning it into a bed without removing your seat belt would be a bit tricky, but maybe just doable in Club although probably not recommended.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:51 am

NNGCW in fact have an indicator to let cabin crew know when you're 'cheating' - it's the small green light on top of the seat, next to the divider screen.

I normally ask whether it's ok to go lieflat as soon as the FAs start walking around, and have never had a negative response.

Cheers,

pcf
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About 1 minute after the seatbelt sign goes off. I can't get things sorted without standing up and clearly can't do that before the bing bong.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by pcflyer213
NNGCW in fact have an indicator to let cabin crew know when you're 'cheating'
All of the CW flatbeds have had such a light. The F seats have it too. This is so the crew can check they're set in the take-off/landing positions as they secure the cabin.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:12 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
If I'm going to be completely honest, the seat belt sign goes off, I nip down to the lav for a pee (=Bolly-Orgy ex post facto), then it's the Z position until dindins, then I'm bolt upright until they clear my main and I ask for my large glass of port, and then the chair's steadily downward until 40 minutes to landing.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Given that it was confirmed on here that ATO (After Take Off) occurs when the planes wheels have left the ground, I have been known to give it about two minutes before reclining and getting ready to sleep. Extremely helpful on a short overnight from BOS, and allows the maximum sleep time when one has to go straight to work after landing.

I asked a VS staffer at the Business Travel Show one year when one can turn the suite to a bed and he replied that it was possible after the fasten seatbelt light had been swithced off. He then explained that you had to get up to flip the seat over and to do that (without the cabin crew getting annoyed) the light had to be off. However you can be reclined in a VS Suite in seat mode, for take off.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
However you can be reclined in a VS Suite in seat mode, for take off.
Really? WOW! I am surprised they got the CAA to approve that!
Old Apr 8, 2009, 5:10 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised about that too..

Maybe the 'VS staffer' wasn't 100% clear of the reasons for seats to be in a particular position for take-off and landing....

Back to thread.

I would say move your seat when the seatbelt sign has been switched off.
I just always have it in the back of my mind, that there is always the chance of something happening that we (cabin crew) are not aware of, and the slim chance of having to return to land for whatever reason.

Obviously, if the seatbelt sign is on for 2 hours because of turbelence, I'm assuming if something like that were to happen, you would have heard something from the pilots within that time, so it would be safe to move your seat. Whilst keep your seatbelt fastened of course.!!

It's a little bugbear of mine unfortunately. When in First, and the purser rushes round trying to get everyone to bed, but the seatbelt sign hasn't even gone off yet. In F you need to get off the seat so we can arrange the mattress and duvet.

I just think it sends out the wrong messages from us.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
As crew, we can move around the aircraft "when safely established in the climb and clear of low level turbulence", that normally will occur quite quickly after take off. Your seat needs to be in the locked position during take off so it can protect you and take the strain in the the event of a rejected take off etc. Once in the air this no longer applies, so I see no reason why you can't convert it into a bed and get to sleep ASAP. Now can you lower the foot stool without undoing your seatbelt?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Really? WOW! I am surprised they got the CAA to approve that!
You won't be surprised when you see how little the VS seat reclines. Think WTP and you'll be close.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Don't like flat seats which probably explains why the likes of KLM AF AZ TAM seats don't bother me in the slightest. ^
Old Apr 8, 2009, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, BA Gold
after we begin to reach 2000 feet i put my seat into fully flat or what ever position i feel like going into
Old Apr 9, 2009, 4:19 am
Lux

Originally Posted by sammyh25
Now can you lower the foot stool without undoing your seatbelt?
In NNCW, dead easy if you're 5'11"! Twist the lever with your foot, nudge the footstool and down it comes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.