Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Making a Connection: Heathrow's T5 to T4

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Cool Making a Connection: Heathrow's T5 to T4

Greetings. I need to make a connection from a BA flight from ATH arriving at T5 to a CO flight at T4. Will 90 minutes give me enough time, assuming no delays? Only 1 carry-on bag.

Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Too tight for my comfort...

Assuming you are making this connection on a single ticket, your baggage (if applicable) will be tagged at ATH through to your final destination.

Breaking down this connection:
Gate to T5 Flight Connections: 10-20 minutes depending on where you're seated;
Bus from T5 to T4: 20-25 minutes;
Security at T4 Flight Connections: 10-15 minutes;
T4 Flight Connections to Gate: 10 minutes;

Considering boarding of the CO flight will close between 30-40 minutes before departure, this leaves no room for mishaps or delays.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi Bill3075,

Welcome to Flyertalk!

Will you have checked in for the CO flight in ATH or will you have to do it at the transit desk at T4 once you have arrived at T4 after taking the airside flight connections bus? ( and what is the minimum check in time for CO?)
Also are you on one ticket ( protected in the event of delays) or two tickets ( not necessarily protected).

I would feel uncomfortable about a 90min connection from T5 onto another airline at T4 ( esp transatlantic) as you only need a small delay to miss your miminum check in time for CO ( if not already done so).

Can you get an earlier BA flight from ATH to T5?

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply. Originally, I was going to cut 2 separate tickets, but I see that to expedite things I should have the entire travel itinerary on one ticket.

I think the BA flight out of Athens is the first one to Heathrow. Olympic's first flight, I believe, arrives a bit later..... I'm trying to avoid US east coast airports because of delays and the need to make a late day connection.

Thanks for your input.

BILL
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Seat Blocking...

Hello Bill!

I operate ATH quite often, and just try and get a seat as far to the front as possible to disembark as quickly as possible.

As of late, the early ATH-LHR has not been the busiest of flights, and due to the weight and balance restrictions, the Euro Traveller cabin has the majority of the Mid Cabin blocked off. So, if you can, make sure you try and get a seat as far forward as possible.

If you are indeed sat in the Aft cabin, you will not be permitted to move forward before take off, but will after take off.

I am presuming you are traveling in Euro Traveller, but could be totally incorrect...!

Have a good flight!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
If you get both flights on one ticket, there will be no issue to get you re-booked on the next CO flight if there is one if you do not make the connection.

I do not think BA give you a BP for CO in ATH even if it ticketed together (OW versus SkyTeam) but you can print your BP on-line if you have access to a PC and printer in Athens.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:50 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
The official minimum connecting time T5 > T4 is 120mins. I know there are those who say they can do it in less but the 2 hrs is the published time!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by OPebble
The official minimum connecting time T5 > T4 is 120mins. I know there are those who say they can do it in less but the 2 hrs is the published time!
If that is the case, the OP cannot buy it on a single ticket. And even if he can, it would probably relieve CO of the duty of putting him on the next flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.