Krispy Kreme doughnuts through T5 Security

Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Krispy Kreme doughnuts through T5 Security

Maybe a daft question, but with the stupid security restrictions these days wanted to ask. Are you able to take jam filled Krispy Kreme doughnuts through T5 security? Are they daft enough to class the filling as a liquid?!

Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:59 pm

I heard both US and Helsinki security staff say "anything than can be smeared is classed a liquid" (well in Helsinki, it was a bit more broken than that...but still better than my Finnish!)

In US it was to a women asking about lipstick, in Helsinki it was to a man with some sort of hair product - he unscrewed the lid held is upside down and shook it to demonstrate how non-liquid it was. But not accepted.

Don't know if LHR takes the same rule...or whether "smearable goo" on the inside is counted! This article claims filled doughnuts will be not berejected...but it's journalism not security rules, and 2+ years old, so not gospel.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12...ughnut_danger/
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, SK Diamond
Originally Posted by Cosby
Maybe a daft question, but with the stupid security restrictions these days wanted to ask. Are you able to take jam filled Krispy Kreme doughnuts through T5 security? Are they daft enough to class the filling as a liquid?!

Thanks!
I'm completely baffled as to WHY anyone would want to take a "Krispy Kreme" doughnut through security???
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:07 pm

i'd say you would be ok
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Bribery!

HTSC
Originally Posted by TLardner
I'm completely baffled as to WHY anyone would want to take a "Krispy Kreme" doughnut through security???
Old Mar 4, 2009, 3:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
At T5 it can be quite a hike to the lounge/gate from security...some may get hungry on the way!
Old Mar 4, 2009, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I might tell you - but as I love Krispy Kremes it'll cost you a glazed donut or two

Seriously, they're allowed through LGW security and people take them quite often so I can't see you'd have a problem with them at T5. If worse comes to worse you'll have to give them to the BA (note only one "A" ) staff to enjoy
Old Mar 4, 2009, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Actually they're very nice, and I suspect the OP would be taking a box 12, yum yum.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
All this talk about Krispy Kreme is making me crave some right now....thankfully tea time is around the corner, though an 'ersatz'-doughnut will have to do...
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by johnny5a
Actually they're very nice, and I suspect the OP would be taking a box 12, yum yum.
I am glad our culinary imperialism is continuing.
However, nothing beats a good cake donut.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by heckenhocker
I heard both US and Helsinki security staff say "anything than can be smeared is classed a liquid" (well in Helsinki, it was a bit more broken than that...but still better than my Finnish!)
Same in Australia. Yet they didn't have any issue with my pens, or my words. One can smear with words, right?
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY
If Krispy Kremes get though, then surely Ho Hos will too?? (Not that anyone would admit to like them... )
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Same in Australia. Yet they didn't have any issue with my pens, or my words. One can smear with words, right?
That's for a court to decide.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
That's for a court to decide.
Haha, true, although you could say that words always have a potential to smear - like a jam doughnuts do have the potential to smear and therefore according to some security screeners it should be in a one litre bag within a bottle 100ml or less.

On a serious note, I do sometimes wonder if they'd ban words, along with eyebrow tweezers, liquor-filled chocolates, pralines, truffles, jam doughnuts, pens, make-up on one's face etc etc... Oh that's right, many words have been banned already. Never mind.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
agree it's hit and miss.

i was back in London last weekend for literally just 2 days and only took hand luggage (a friend in london had sourced with all those illegal items like toothpaste, shampoo and deo).

i didnt even realise it but of course i had taken the CW amenities bag with me and put it into my bag and i guess it has the usual mini items of liquid. no word at all when i went through T5 security 2 days later with it (as said, not even fully remembering i had them). about 18 months ago, i was treated like a criminal at MAN when arriving back from JFK (gone are the days) and connecting onto a domestic flight (also, gone are the days of BA offering that) and not 'declaring' my CW amenity kit from the inbound flight.

and - just to finish off this mini rant - i bought 2 newspapers landside at T5. the lady told me i'd get a free bottle of water so i took it (in full knowledge that 2 mins later i was going to pass through security, i.e. would have to get rid of it beforehand). wasnt overly thirsty but wasnt going to pass a free bottle (sealed). it was impossible to find either anyother landside pax or any of the staff to take a free, sealed bottle of water off me! and i looked quite respectable on that day. so ended up throwing it into the bin as the security lady was giving me the 'if you suggest one more time that i take your sealed, fresh and still chilled bottle of water of you for my personal use, i'll have you arrested' look.

wasteful shame - should have probably just left it in the shop but then the daily telegraph would have 'gained' it.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.