Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 1, 09, 6:03 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Highlands but mostly GIG
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 409
Mileage tickets in somebody elses name

I am interested to know if anybody has managed to get a mileage ticket issued in somebody elses name and not part of a household account. I phoned BAEC a couple of weeks ago regarding this and was told that only people on the household account can get tickets.

I have just read the EC term & conditions and they state (from ba.com)

"13.1. Awards will be issued to any name requested and mailed only to the preferred mailing address of the Member. In some countries Members may be required to collect Awards from designated places. Awards for travel on British Airways flights are subject to the General Conditions of Carriage for Passengers and Baggage. Awards for travel on Airline Partner flights are subject to the relevant terms and conditions of the Airline Partner."

So it would seem the you can get a ticket in anybody´s name.

Any insight into this question would be appreciated

Zippy
zippyboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 09, 6:37 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A Scot in Provincia de Buenos Aires
Posts: 29,596
You can only book a award ticket for someone who's in your household account.
HIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 09, 11:58 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Posts: 7,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
You can only book a award ticket for someone who's in your household account.
Are you sure? I have booked a redemption ticket on BA.COM, LHR > JNB for my cousin who is definitely not in my Household account, in fact, I don't have a Household Account!
OPebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 09, 12:08 am   #4
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Posts: 2,166
If you've got a household account, you can only book miles tickets for members of your household account.

If you don't have a household account, you can book miles tickets for anybody.

If you've got enough miles personally, disolve your household account, book the ticket and then set up the household account again.

bjorns
__________________
------------------------------------------
We think Sir may have had enough to drink!
bjorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 09, 12:12 am   #5
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Posts: 7,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorns View Post
If you've got a household account, you can only book miles tickets for members of your household account.

If you don't have a household account, you can book miles tickets for anybody.

If you've got enough miles personally, disolve your household account, book the ticket and then set up the household account again.

bjorns
Thanks for clarifying!
OPebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 09, 1:24 am   #6
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Programs: BA, bmi, HH, SPG, 5C
Posts: 2,653
Yes, further down the T&Cs you find:

16.1.14. Subject to Clause 16.1.12, Awards can only be issued by British Airways to members of the Household Account (and will not be issued to persons that are not members of such an account), as designated/nominated by a Household Account member at the time of issuance, after which Awards may not be transferred or reissued to a different name.

And for the avoidance of doubt:

16.1. The following are the specific terms and conditions that apply to Household Accounts. If there is any conflict between the terms and conditions in this Clause 16 and any other clause herein, these terms and conditions will prevail to the extent the term or condition relates to, or regulates the operation of the Household Account:

You could consider adding the non-member to your HH account, or dissolvethe HH account (for six months minimum). The only quirk is that an Amex 241 voucher can be used to book the second ticket for a non HH-member.
pauldb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 09, 5:26 am   #7
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Perth, the Scottish one
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem, Hertz Pres Circle, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,422
Quote:
If you don't have a household account, you can book miles tickets for anybody
Can confirm that this is true. Have also noticed that the passenger inherits your EC number, giving them access to the lounge, as long as card is not requested...
nobbyclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 09, 5:46 am   #8
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorns View Post
If you've got a household account, you can only book miles tickets for members of your household account.

If you don't have a household account, you can book miles tickets for anybody.

If you've got enough miles personally, disolve your household account, book the ticket and then set up the household account again.

bjorns
What happens if you join someone to your HHA so pooling all the miles and then say 6 months later you dissolve it. How does it work out the split of miles back to the individuals?
BA1A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 09, 6:01 am   #9
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Programs: BA, bmi, HH, SPG, 5C
Posts: 2,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA1A View Post
What happens if you join someone to your HHA so pooling all the miles and then say 6 months later you dissolve it. How does it work out the split of miles back to the individuals?
The members still have individual balances within the HH account, and earned miles go to the earner. Spent miles are taken proportionally: i.e. if the members have 60k, 30k and 10k, and a 25k ticket is purchased, the balances are debitted 15k, 7.5k and 2.5k (60/30/10).
pauldb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 09, 6:06 am   #10
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldb View Post
The members still have individual balances within the HH account, and earned miles go to the earner. Spent miles are taken proportionally: i.e. if the members have 60k, 30k and 10k, and a 25k ticket is purchased, the balances are debitted 15k, 7.5k and 2.5k (60/30/10).
Thanks, I was hoping that was how it worked.
BA1A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 09, 6:35 am   #11
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BRU (Belgium)
Programs: UA
Posts: 316
This fall I'm going with a group of 10 to the US for a group trip. I will make the arrangements and do the booking and paying.

Do I get the miles from everyone on my account (since I'm paying) or not?
Or could I add my accountnumber to the tickets?


Probably not I assume?
Bralo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 09, 6:37 am   #12
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bralo20 View Post
This fall I'm going with a group of 10 to the US for a group trip. I will make the arrangements and do the booking and paying.

Do I get the miles from everyone on my account (since I'm paying) or not?
Or could I add my accountnumber to the tickets?


Probably not I assume?
Your assumption is correct. Not. One way for you to get more miles for the whole booking is to make the payment on your BA Amex if you have one. You can't have the miles for all the individual actual flights though, just your own.
BA1A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 09, 6:45 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: headforpoints.com
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 22,505
.... unless you open a Household Account with 10 (or whatever the max is) number of people per account.

However, 10 x discounted economy to the US won't get you very far, unfortunately.

Not sure if Discounted Y is worth anything for OnBusiness points. You could pretend all of these people work for your company. This could be more lucrative - see ba.com/onbusiness
Raffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 09, 7:20 am   #14
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BRU (Belgium)
Programs: UA
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
.... unless you open a Household Account with 10 (or whatever the max is) number of people per account.

However, 10 x discounted economy to the US won't get you very far, unfortunately.

Not sure if Discounted Y is worth anything for OnBusiness points. You could pretend all of these people work for your company. This could be more lucrative - see ba.com/onbusiness
Don't know 'bout the household account, will check this out, thanks! But probably this will only be limited to a couple of names, I assume with a max of 4, 5 maybe?

I've just read the "On Business" program and enrolled in it with my non profit organisation. Not that it gives great benefits, but something is better than nothing at all

Thanks for the tips!
Bralo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 09, 10:57 am   #15
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Highlands but mostly GIG
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 409
Thanks for all the info clarifys the situation
zippyboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:31 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.