Has BA finally lost all compassion?

Subscribe
You are right be be angry. This is putrid service from BA.
Does seem rather harsh but I suspect you were hearing the customary responses to such a situation you find yourself in,you won't be the only ones. Not sure on the exact rules but I do know if they give you sufficient warning they are not obliged to do anything.

What can you do? Well posting here was a good start as it will be noticed and I suggest you send a well crafted letter to BA headquarters as well.Hopefully they will free up two seats for you and your...by then wife.

Good luck. ^
I think as Hiddy has said you need to draft an appropriate letter to BA.
Emphasise you appreciate that in the present financial climate you understand that they will have to cancel flights . Re-iterate that you will absorb the extra cost to yourself of the additional hotel night (even though you haven't budgeted for it.)
I would say to them that your ideal scenario would be travelling back on the same date as planned, but if there's no way they can facilitate you, the above is the only acceptable alternative.
I think I'd throw in a compounding reason why you can't come back a day earlier...use your imagination.
Was the BA person not suggesting cancelling the redemption and re-booking? Have you looked into this using the alternative itinerary?
Good luck anyway...hope everything else turns out OK^^
Thanks for this heads-up. I'm sorry it's happening to you.

My wife and I currently booked on the JNB-MRU flight on 3/18 and the MRU-JNB flight on 3/21.

The 3/18 flight (a Wednesday) is now completely zeroed out in all classes, as is the return flight to JNB on the same day. That does not bode well, as the flight was empty last time I checked. According to MMB, there is nothing going on, but if it is cancelled, I'd like to know now, while I still have alternatives, mainly cancelling and rebooking on SA or MU (this is a paid full J ticket).

Looks like I need to call BA.
Okay, I checked with BA, calling the U.S. number.

Apparently, they are cutting the Wednesday and Sunday flights, effective May 3. OP, are you traveling on or after that date?

They claim that my 3/18 flight is fine and that it is just full. I am not 100% convinced and may well make a safety booking on Air Mauritius just to be safe (it's refundable, after all).
Can I ask, is this a through ticket MRU-JNB-LHR, or are they separate tickets?
its a through ticket, booked through BA.
Quote: its a through ticket, booked through BA.
Revenue or redemption?
Quote: Revenue or redemption?
Redemption.
pjh981,

I'm really sorry that this has happened. Unfortunately schedule changes are inevitable in our industry but I appreciate when travelling on a special occasion, particularly your honeymoon, this can be extremely disappointing and frustrating.

Please can you PM your booking reference to me and I will see if I can do anything to improve this situation for you. I can't guarantee this but the last thing I want is to add to what is already a busy period in your life when you could be concentrating on other things.

Best regards

Nicci
Quote: pjh981,

I'm really sorry that this has happened. Unfortunately schedule changes are inevitable in our industry but I appreciate when travelling on a special occasion, particularly your honeymoon, this can be extremely disappointing and frustrating.

Please can you PM your booking reference to me and I will see if I can do anything to improve this situation for you. I can't guarantee this but the last thing I want is to add to what is already a busy period in your life when you could be concentrating on other things.

Best regards

Nicci
Nicci it would be great if you could resolve this for the OP .
I'm not sure if you could raise this issue further up the management chain.....people expect changes to happen, but with an airline like BA you expect them to try and accommodate you on a flight that doesn't leave you at a disadvantage.
Ryanair quite rightly used to get pilloried when they used to cancel flights and leave customers with additional costs. I'm sure BA don't want to stoop to that level.
Each case needs to be looked at individually just to determine that the customer isn't trying it on ...in the OP's case it looks 100% that they aren't.
How frustrating - hopefully Nicci might be able to assist.

Quote: This despite the fact that according to Expertflyer, only 4 out of 52 Club World seats on the BA122 have been sold. So, having cancelled our flight, BA would rather insist that we taint our honeymoon and fly home early rather than allow us to transfer into one of 48 empty seats on the next direct flight. Why? Are they mad? What Can I do? Our flights were booked on BA Miles redemption in Club World - this seems to be the problem. Although there are 48 available Club World seats on the BA122 - we can't seem to have any of them. I know rules are rules - but 48 empty seats and BA are happy to ruin a Honeymoon!
I'm not sure you can draw the conclusion you've done from Expertflyer. What it's showing you is that 48 of the seats haven't been allocated rather than are available for sale. Under BA's seating policy the only people who can allocate/choose seats are Gold/Silver and full fare travellers - given MRU is a prime honeymoon destination, I'd wager that there are probably a large number of people who book in Club but can't choose a seat until checking in 24 hours prior to their flight.

The only sure fire way to know how many seats have been sold is if one of the BA staff around here were to check the loads - anything else is speculation.
Quote: How frustrating - hopefully Nicci might be able to assist.

I'm not sure you can draw the conclusion you've done from Expertflyer. What it's showing you is that 48 of the seats haven't been allocated rather than are available for sale. Under BA's seating policy the only people who can allocate/choose seats are Gold/Silver and full fare travellers - given MRU is a prime honeymoon destination, I'd wager that there are probably a large number of people who book in Club but can't choose a seat until checking in 24 hours prior to their flight.

The only sure fire way to know how many seats have been sold is if one of the BA staff around here were to check the loads - anything else is speculation.
+1
about your analysis of the seat allocation and loads