Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Difference in Fare buckets I vs. J, C, D, R

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Premier Exec. .

I have searched through the search function and can't find an answer to my question.....

I just got sent an offer from BA to register for either bouns miles or Highlife Shop vouchers if you take a return flight before May 15th! Hurrah, I shouted as I am going to Sydney on march 25th and returning on April 15th. Then I noticed it's only applicable to fare codes (in Club) J, C, D and R. My fare is I class.

I looked in the Ultimate Guide and (apart from J) they are all listed as Discount Club.

Can anyone help me understand why I class bookings would not be included in this promotion?

I'm not terribnly worried as I have a gazilllion air miles already.... it would be nice to have more, though... I can always use them.

Cheers....
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Simple: price and conditions.

I is the cheapest and most restricted bucket - JCDRI is listed in order of flexibility (and price). Register for www.expertflyer.com if you want to look up published fare rules and prices on any route.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Simple: price and conditions.

I is the cheapest and most restricted bucket - JCDRI is listed in order of flexibility (and price). Register for www.expertflyer.com if you want to look up published fare rules and prices on any route.
A couple points about R:
- you cannot assign seats if you're without status.
- also I have a load of flights with R lined up and there maybe a very small charge to change/refund but I can't be sure on this one
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: DL DM
Is there a way on BA.com to select a specific fare class?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA, AA, BMI, Marriott
Originally Posted by AGSF
I don't think theres a way of selecting specific fare buckets on BA.com, I'd certainly like to know if there was! However once you get to the summary page when making a booking the "Increase flexibility" options will change the fare bucket to a more flexible code.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: GGL
Click on the flight number when booking and it will show fare code.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 3:27 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bolgerp
I have searched through the search function and can't find an answer to my question.....

I just got sent an offer from BA to register for either bouns miles or Highlife Shop vouchers if you take a return flight before May 15th! Hurrah, I shouted as I am going to Sydney on march 25th and returning on April 15th. Then I noticed it's only applicable to fare codes (in Club) J, C, D and R. My fare is I class.

I looked in the Ultimate Guide and (apart from J) they are all listed as Discount Club.

Can anyone help me understand why I class bookings would not be included in this promotion?

I'm not terribnly worried as I have a gazilllion air miles already.... it would be nice to have more, though... I can always use them.

Cheers....
Would those vouchers/miles be worth more than the ~400 USD fare difference?

[KVS Availability Tool 3.4.0/Platinum - Galileo: Fares/PSH/RU]
Code:
LON  London Metro UK = LHR LGW STN LTN LCY
SYD  Sydney Kingsford Smith NS AU [YSSY]
SUN  01 Mar 2009 / SUN  15 Mar 2009 / RT / Business

Carrier   From   To   Fare      Cur  AdvanceP  Min  Max  Fare Basis | Travel Period
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- -------------------------- 
BA        LON    SYD     3685   USD   28 Days  Sun  360  IHAP9UK      01 Mar-31 Mar
BA        LON    SYD     4103   USD   28 Days  Sun  360  RHAP9UK      01 Mar-31 Mar
BA        LON    SYD     4502   USD   42 Days  Sun  360  IAP7
BA        LON    SYD     4920   USD   28 Days  Sun  360  RAP7
BA        LON    SYD     5338   USD   21 Days  Sun  360  DAP7
BA        LON    SYD     6442   USD    7 Days       360  CRT1
BA        LON    SYD     8714   USD                      J2BA
BA        LON    SYD     8714   USD                      J2UP1        08 Jan-31 Mar
BA        LON    SYD     8714   USD                      J2UP2        08 Jan-31 Mar
BA        LON    SYD    10044   USD                      J1RT
YY        LON    SYD    10044   USD                      CIF
BA        LON    SYD    11840   USD                      JRT
YY        LON    SYD    12742   USD                      CIF
YY        LON    SYD    13230   USD                      CIF
BA        LON    SYD    13344   USD                 360  JRT
BA        LON    SYD    18683   USD                 360  J1
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Premier Exec. .
Originally Posted by johnnytoobad
I don't think theres a way of selecting specific fare buckets on BA.com, I'd certainly like to know if there was! However once you get to the summary page when making a booking the "Increase flexibility" options will change the fare bucket to a more flexible code.
Shame I didn't spot this when making the booking.... I can't increase the flexibility in MMB.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
From memory:
J = fully flexible, fully refundable
C = semi flexible - Ł30 change fee (or is it Ł40 now?) - Non refundable Seat pre-asignment possible
D = semi flexible Ł30 change fee (or is it Ł40 now?) Non refundable
R = non flexible, non refundable.
I = non flexible, non refundable. Sold for CW and in CE as part of long haul trips only
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Cyba
From memory:
R = non flexible, non refundable.
I'm afraid this is not the case, last week I had changed my outbound date, the corporate travel did it without saying there was a charge etc....
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Originally Posted by johnny5a
I'm afraid this is not the case, last week I had changed my outbound date, the corporate travel did it without saying there was a charge etc....
Obviously there are thousands of fares on the BA system and the details will vary which is why it's always a good idea to read the fine print. In general though R fare tickets in CE normally sold to the general public (as opposed to special corporate deals) are non refundable and non changeable. See below example (my bold and edited out lots of stuff):

[KVS Availability Tool 3.3.4/Platinum - TVN: LHR-CDG/BA/REUNBA/163 GBP]
Code:
BUSINESS CLASS NON-DISCOUNTABLE

[PENALTIES]
CANCELLATIONS  ANY TIME TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT
VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. CANCELLATIONS- BEFORE DEPARTURE FARE IS
NON-REFUNDABLE.IF COMBINING A NON- REFUNDABLE FARE WITH A REFUNDABLE
FARE ONLY THE Y/J-CLASS HALF RETURN AMOUNT CAN BE REFUNDED. AFTER DEPARTURE
AT ANYTIME FARE IS NON-REFUNDABLE. IF COMBINING A NON-REFUNDABLE
FARE WITH A REFUNDABLE FARE REFUND THE DIFFERENCE/IF ANY/BETWEEN THE
FARE PAID AND THE APPLICABLE BA ONEWAY FARE.  CHANGES  ANY TIME CHANGES
NOT PERMITTED. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
UPGRADES - NOT PERMITTED AT ANY TIME
One exception to this is that (I believe) BA have recently changed the fare bucket that IATA fares book into. They used to book into J but those I've seen in the past few weeks book into R. Obviously those fares are fully flexible but by booking into R now, their availability especially at the last minute is now seriously limited.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by bolgerp
I just got sent an offer from BA to register for either bouns miles or Highlife Shop vouchers if you take a return flight before May 15th!
i thought this was only eligable to euro members?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by KVS
Would those vouchers/miles be worth more than the ~400 USD fare difference?

[KVS Availability Tool 3.4.0/Platinum - Galileo: Fares/PSH/RU]
Code:
LON  London Metro UK = LHR LGW STN LTN LCY
SYD  Sydney Kingsford Smith NS AU [YSSY]
SUN  01 Mar 2009 / SUN  15 Mar 2009 / RT / Business

Carrier   From   To   Fare      Cur  AdvanceP  Min  Max  Fare Basis | Travel Period
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- -------------------------- 
BA        LON    SYD     3685   USD   28 Days  Sun  360  IHAP9UK      01 Mar-31 Mar
B
Is that really $3685 for a return ticket to Sydney?!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by AGSF
Yes.

The following is valid for ex UK but may not be valid for other POS.

If you are booking non flex then it makes no difference to the conditions whether or not you get D, R or I. The only difference is the fare and you would not want to select a specific bucket as the system will give you the lowest available.

If you need flexible click 'flexible conditions' on the first page. This always books J.

If you need a semi-flex ticket (C class, GBP 100 + fare diff. change fee, 20% fee for CXL) then you should click 'lowest price' and there are four possibilities.
1. If I, R or D are available for booking and the advance purchase conditions for fares in these classes are met then the system will give you an I, R or D fare. You then press 'increase flexibility' at the bottom of the page when you get the final price quote. This will then give you C.
2. If I, R or D are available but the advance purchase conditions for fares in these classes are not met then the system will give you C.
3. If I, R or D are not available but C is the system will give you C.
4. If you have missed the advance purchase conditions for C or C is not available you will get J.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by globalste
Is that really $3685 for a return ticket to Sydney?!
Probably 1 seat per flight at that price .......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.