Wiki Posts
Search

Can you buy BA Lounge Access?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2009, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: ba miles
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
chipsodg - if you get to T5 early then you can always enjoy one of the restaurants there and enjoy a leisurely meal. Giraffe, Plane Food, Wagamama and the pub near the domestic gates all have areas where you can sit and enjoy a meal a little bit away from the crowd.

thank you - that is what we will do
Old Feb 15, 2009, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I was speaking to someone in the lounge the other day and they said they often have to turn people away with QF membership as they don't qualify under the OW Sapphire or Emerald. I just wondered if the two were linked.
Then please, if you are speaking to them again, let them know the correct rules (which are, as has been posted, that access is permitted for Qantas Club members!) ^

That being said I have never been denied access to a BA lounge with just a Qantas club card - the staff have always known what it is and granted entry.

In fact the reverse has often been the case where BA staff have gone over and above what is required by giving additional benefits, such as those for Oneworld ruby... this includes priority check-in in BA flights, including at the old T1 (which had no QF flights).

Regards

lme ff
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Then please, if you are speaking to them again, let them know the correct rules (which are, as has been posted, that access is permitted for Qantas Club members!) ^

Regards

lme ff
I spoke to them again and it seems they were referring to Ruby level people rather than Qantas Club members.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
That being said I have never been denied access to a BA lounge with just a Qantas club card - the staff have always known what it is and granted entry.
Only ever had a problem recently, except in Abuja where they don't see many Qantas Club cards Anyhow, they are now in possession of my printed copy of the lounge access guide posted in the Ultimate Guide (apparently, they misplaced the official one!) and not had a problem since...

Last edited by jimcbob; Feb 15, 2009 at 2:20 pm
Old Feb 13, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
To access a partner airline lounge, simply present your Qantas Club card or Platinum or Gold Frequent Flyer card at check-in and again with your boarding pass at the lounge reception. You may also invite a guest.
Does this mean that they need your Qantas Club number at check-in for you to gain access to the lounge? Wouldn't this mean you'd not earn any BA miles? I assume in reality that you can just show the card at the lounge and there's no need for it to be entered into the system at check-in.

I'm a bit confused about guests, reading this it sounds like it's ok to take a guest into the lounge.

However on the rates page there's mention of an annual guest card:

If you would like someone to accompany you to a Qantas Club lounge on a regular basis, you may purchase an Annual Guest Card.* Annual Guest Cards are available for purchase by contacting The Qantas Club Service Centre. Valid for 12 months, your Annual Guest Card allows one additional guest to enter the lounge if accompanied by you. Annual Guest Cards are governed by the terms and conditions of The Qantas Club Program.
So are guests free in BA lounges or not?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
You don't need to have your QF Club membership in the booking in order to get access - just present the card with your BP. You are entitled to one guest with your membership - the paid-for guest card allows you, I think, a second guest into QF lounges only.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Ah the lounges. They're not worth paying much extra for. As long as the airport has a decent bar/pub/restaurant, why bother?

This is very like the nightclub syndrome. When you get into a nightclub, there's a special VIP area. And you really want to go there, but once there it's not much of a difference.

I appreciate the lounges but really, if you have restaurants/bars/pubs outside the lounge, they're not very important.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:42 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Lobengula
Ah the lounges. They're not worth paying much extra for. As long as the airport has a decent bar/pub/restaurant, why bother?

I appreciate the lounges but really, if you have restaurants/bars/pubs outside the lounge, they're not very important.
The difference is, that as many have posted, you can stuff your face in the Lounges for free, but elsewhere you have to pay!
Old Feb 14, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
T5 is a far better experience than other LHR terminals. We recently flew MAN-LHR-YVR in WT+ with a 5 hour layover. We spent most of that in Huxleys (sp?) getting slowly toasted - I barely remember boarding the flight.

It is odd that they didn't build a servisair lounge in T5 (or similar), there's certainly a market for it.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Amazing that such a simple answer as "No, unless you buy QF" has taken 24 posts - so far
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by heartybob
Amazing that such a simple answer as "No, unless you buy QF" has taken 24 posts - so far
Well this is the BA board after all.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

This is very like the nightclub syndrome. When you get into a nightclub, there's a special VIP area. And you really want to go there, but once there it's not much of a difference.

That's my thought exactly.

The best use of a lounge is when I don't have any local currency during transit, and I just want a bottle of water. The shop won't like it if I try to pay by credit card, and I don't want to go to an ATM and draw out more than what I really need (or there is none airside). Like being in transit at BUD yesterday - it was really useful because I had no HUF left.

Otherwise, I think lounges are a bit over-rated. I think people like the idea of 'free at the point of delivery' and 'eat/drink as much as you like' system, and I fully understand that logic, but really, the lounges aren't that fantastic in terms of the food on offer, with a few exceptions. For instance, the food at SYD/MEL QF F lounge isn't that good, but it's better than alternatives you can get at SYD/MEL. Alcoholic drinks don't matter to me because I do not drink while travelling.

Of course, the lounges can offer the quiet place to sit. But they can also be a zoo - go to BNE and CBR Qantas Club lounge on some days and you'll see what I mean by 'zoo'. Actually, if zoos were so crowded, RSPCA would be complaining.

As for GF T5, I prefer to eat at Plane Food - I go to GF when I don't have enough time to sit down and order food at PF, or for the free WiFi after PF (a bit faster than my mobile broadband).
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
We had this discussion at length in a thread recently. Many of us thought that this view was held by those who'd had regular lounge access for rather too long. In many airports the lounge is vastly more comfortable than the noisy crowded hard-chaired restaurants with their bad overpriced food and drink.

But there is a problem with pay access for lounges. The average premium flyer probably spends around half an hour or so in the lounge. Those who choose to pay are probably expecting to spend rather longer there, perhaps due to a long connection time or some such, and would need to be charged rather a lot to reflect that. And what would happen if the flight had a 7-hour delay and the Y pax starting traipsing into the lounge at £20 a pop?

Rather a different issue. In some places I agree entirely - not worth spending much time there other than for a quiet drink wih a friend - or to show off that you're there . In others there are clear material benefits like free food and drink and better bathrooms without queues. And in other clubs (usually bad ones) it's the only place worth being as you really don't want to spend time with the people in the rest of the club.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by chipsodg
When travelling on vacation we fly First (Amex 2-4-1), however, I am going on a business trip on Saturday and I am flying ecomony, I have a few hours to kill at T5 can I buy lounge access for me and my work colleague?

Thanks everyone for a great website
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
In many airports the lounge is vastly more comfortable than the noisy crowded hard-chaired restaurants with their bad overpriced food and drink.
I think we get spoilt at BA LHR lounges. They offer decent, edible food. At many lounges, that's not really the case. Let me list the offerings at MA lounges at BUD just because I've just been there three times in a short period of time:

hard, strange savoury mini-brioche thing which was dry
same as above, but with a bit of really hard, dry cheese on top, and harder
muffins (same as the in-flight muffin) on one of the occasions
bits of individually wrapped chocolate
small packs of pretzels (not the pretzel nuggets like the BA ones)
pots of nearly fat-free yoghurt
chocolate-covered yoghurt bar things in pink-dotted wrappers (can't remember the name)
strange, dry sweet/savoury-ish pie-like thing which looked like a mini-sausage roll but in fact was not - tasted somewhat like marzipan and savoury mixed, with sprinkling of sugar, on one of the occasions

GF/GC at LHR sound like a dream in comparison! But other facilities at LHR T5 are good, and in some ways better than the lounge anyway. Whereas at BUD, there is no decent restaurant. You could buy some OK food, but no comfortable chairs. At least, MA lounges do offer comfortable seats. And FT to read. But I wouldn't pay £20 to access this lounge, unless my bum desperately needs to sit in a soft seat. That is unlikely, considering MA seats near the front are actually rather well-padded and comfortable.

Then again, I wouldn't pay £20 to access GF either, considering there are comfortable alternative that offers better food.

My views are distorted though, because I do not drink. I cannot get decent value from drinking alcoholic things.

I actually started to dislike QF domestic lounges in Australia (both Qantas Club and Qantas Domestic). The PAs are so loud and frequent that you cannot even hold any conversation in peace. I think I'd get more peace in the main terminal space. At least, there's no announcements asking on-departure upgrade requesters to come to the desk all the time in the main part of the terminal.

Rather a different issue. In some places I agree entirely - not worth spending much time there other than for a quiet drink wih a friend - or to show off that you're there .
It's always the fellow guests/passengers that annoy me - like the ones that shouts into the mobile, "I'm in the lounge" as if it's special. Maybe it's special enough for them to shout about, but I just want my peace and quiet.

OK, one thing I do like about T5 GF is the loo. They are spacious enough not to make me feel like the walls are caving in on me. But why do other people have to leave the place so messy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.