FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Tesco and BA [2009 archive] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/906700-tesco-ba-2009-archive.html)

Raffles Jan 6, 2009 5:45 am

Tesco and BA [2009 archive]

Tesco is a major partner with BA, and offers one of the easiest non-flying ways for UK BAEC members to earn lots of miles. Details of how the Tesco scheme works can be found in “The Ultimate BA Guide” sticky. In summary, you can convert your Tesco Clubcard points to BA Miles in the ratio 1 Clubcard point = 2.4 BA Miles.

As with the BA Amex, you can only convert points to BAEC accounts that are UK domiciled. Bear this in mind if you are considering moving your account to Europe to benefit from the lower tier point thresholds. However, Clubcard vouchers are valid for 2 years so you can save them up until a suitable time for you to move your account back to the UK.

The paper form to mail in clubcard vouchers for conversion can be found here: https://www.britishairways.com/execclub/tesco/form.html or you can do it online at http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=237 by inputting the code number on the voucher - points hit your BAEC account in 24 hours.

Special Promotions – December 2009

1. Tesco Grocery (expires 3 / 24 January)

XXYT6K gives 750 points for £50 grocery spend before 3rd January. Works on quite a few accounts but not all - apparently it is aimed at people who have not had a delivery for the last few months.

50 extra points on some varieties of Tesco Finest teabags until 3rd January - cheapest is the Darjeeling at £1.29. This works out at 1p per mile, assuming you bin the bags, with points going onto your receipt at the till.

"Christmas Points Bonanza" on groceries: 300 points when you buy 5 different items from a list, linked from the main groceries page. Once per customer, cheapest combo around £7. Points awarded even if some items out of stock. Points will post in arrears before your February statement, they will not be added to your receipt.

250 clubcard points on certain pay-as-you-go mobiles in-store until 24th January. One phone per transaction, maximum two per customer in total.

£5 for your first online grocery order if you go via quidco.com

Bonus points currently available on various in-store grocery products. See the most recent posts for full details and also http://www.supermarketspecialoffers....intOffers.aspx

2. Tesco DVD Rental

1000 points for 3 months DVD rental via http://www.tescodvdrental.com/partners/rentalc.html First timers only, expires 31/12. Good value, cheapest package is £4 so £12 for 2,400 miles.

3. Tesco Wine (expires 3 January - don't forget Quidco as well)

750 points when you spend £50 using code XX-CD6Z. Targetted. Expires 3 January.

4. Tesco Travel Money (expires 6 January)

600 clubcard points for £600 of non-Sterling Travellers Cheques. See here: http://www.tescofinance.com/personal...tml#conditions

5. Tesco Insurance (expires 6 / 3 January)

1,000 points when you take out dental insurance before 6 January 2010. See http://www.tescofinance.com/personal...lins/index.jsp for details.

500 points when you take out home insurance before 3 January 2010. Quote novemberhome when buying online - this is not featured on the site. Does not apply to the value or buy to let policies.

6. Tesco Savings

None at present

7. Tesco Credit Card (expires 3 January)

750 points when you apply for the Clubcard Credit Card and use it once. You need to apply by telephone on 0800 406050 and say you saw a 750 point bonus offer in your clubcard mailing.

8. Tesco Direct (expires 3 January, don't forget Quidco as well)

300 points when you spend £30 ON TOYS at Tesco Direct using code TD-SBSK, or 500 points when you spend £50 ON ANYTHING using code TD-SJSJ. Expires 3 January.

9. Tesco Diets (comes and goes!)

1,000 points when you join Tesco Diets for a minimum of ten weeks. This promo comes and goes all the time - look at www.tesco.com/diets and see if it is currently showing on the home page.

10. Tesco Green Living and other e-mails

25 points for free when you sign up for various Tesco e-mails at: www.tesco.com/email-signup

11. Tesco Broadband

None at present

12. Tesco Child Trust Fund (on-going)

Earn 250 points when you open a Tesco Child Trust Fund and a further 250 points if you set up a direct debit to make further contributions. Note that this is an equity-based fund not a cash-based fund. See: http://www.tescofinance.com/personal...fund/index.jsp

13. Recycling (offer on-going)

Tesco offer points for recycling old mobile phones (300 points if they turn on, 100 points otherwise) and inkjet cartridges (100 points). You need to pick up a green plastic postage-paid envelope from the leaflet rack in-store. The website says that there is a maximum of five phones per clubcard per year but this is no longer the case. More valuable mobiles can be recycled via www.tescomobilerecycle.com. You get 200 points PLUS some cash, depending on the value of the phone.

14. Tesco clubs

The best of receiving regular 'bonus points' coupons is to sign up for the various Tesco clubs. If you join the Tesco World of Wine, Food Club, Baby & Toddler Club or Healthy Living Club (see www.tesco.com/clubcard/clubcard/clubs/ to join), you will receive regular mailings with bonus points offers.

15. The Tesco Clubcard Credit Card

The Tesco Clubcard Credit Card earns 1 point for every £4 spent (rounded down on a per transaction, not per statement, basis - so a £7.99 purchase is treated as £4). Points post as soon as the charge hits your account, not at month end. It works out at 0.6 BA Miles per £1, which is far worse than the BA Premium Plus Amex rate of 1.5 BA Miles per £1, but there are two reasons for getting the card:

a) some places do not take Amex, especially independent retailers
b) if you about to trigger the '2 for 1' voucher on your Amex but would rather defer it for a few months, you can switch to your Tesco Mastercard

Note that your Tesco Mastercard also acts as a clubcard, so you don't need to carry your blue clubcard around anymore. In a Tesco store you can, if you want, have your credit card swiped for use as a clubcard and then pay using your BA Amex for maximum miles! Those of us who applied for a card before April 2006 earn miles at twice the rate of the current card - 2 points for every £4 spent. You may therefore see discussions in this thread which relate to the old cards, as many of us still have that.

(Totally OT, as this has nothing to do with Tesco but I don't think this is in any other sticky: you can also get 2,000 BA Miles by applying for the free Marriott Rewards credit card at http://www.marriottrewardscard.co.uk...e=stdMediaCode. You get 10k Marriott points for applying which can be transferred into 2k BA. Exactly the same can be done with the Priority Club card: https://www.online-card.co.uk/ihg/pa...ginCode=PW0104 However, if you're looking for an alternative to the BA Amex, the BMI Amex is an excellent proposition with a 20,000 mile sign-up bonus - see the BMI forum for details.)

Other offers worth knowing about:

3% cash-back (exc VAT and delivery) on purchases from Tesco Wine, 7% on Tesco Entertainment and Tesco Jersey and 3% on other non-grocery Tesco sites (eg Tesco Direct, exc finance and insurance) can be earned by signing up for an account at www.quidco.com. It also gives £5 cashback on your first Grocery spend on any specific clubcard.

If you were planning to book flights or hotels through lastminute.com, it is better to book them through the tesco.com link, under the ‘Holidays & Flights’ tab, to lastminute. You earn 1 Clubcard point for every £1 you spend, on top of your usual credit card bonuses.

Other cashback deals:

Whilst not related to Tesco, it is worth remembering that you can also get cashback on most of your travel bookings through quidco.com. The current rates for the major chains are: Hilton 6%, Eurostar 4%, Marriott 4%, Paramount 6%, NH Hotels 8%, Intercontinental Group 5%, Ramada Jarvis 10%, Sheraton 2%, Westin 3%, Jurys Doyle 5%. Expedia and most of the portals also offer cashback through Quidco - hotels.com offers 10%. Airlines offering cashback include Virgin Atlantic, FlyBE, KLM, Air France, Singapore Airlines, Jet2, bmi, Qantas, Emirates and Austrian. Hertz, National and Thrify offer cashback on car rental. These cashback offers do not affect your ability to collect points or miles for your trip.

If you discover any new offers, post them here and I will update this first post as we go along.

Raffles Jan 6, 2009 5:52 am

This is the new 2009 Tesco thread. Our friendly moderators will be along soon to lock the 2008 thread!

I mention the Priority Club credit card in the credit card section above. It's worth noting that you can get a whopping 25,000 PC points by applying for the card via this link - https://www.online-card.co.uk/ihg/pa...ginCode=PD0390 - which are worth 5,000 BA Miles. Or a night in a Holiday Inn.

continentalclub Jan 6, 2009 5:58 am

Get 1000 Extra Clubcard Points when you Shop 3 Times

SHOP 1

200 EXTRA POINTS
When you spend 50 GBP on groceries from Tesco.com
Your eCoupon code is: XXKFCW

SHOP 2

200 EXTRA POINTS
Your eCoupon code is: XXT9D8

SHOP 3

200 EXTRA POINTS
Your eCoupon code is: XX7PC8

PLUS
400 BONUS POINTS
when you complete all 3 shops before 28th February 2009.

Working across familycontinentalclub's accounts.

Blueboys999 Jan 6, 2009 6:28 am

Thanks Raffles

Looks like I get the honour to be the first to thank Raffles for all his efforts on our behalf over the years. Great job!

I also think Tesco should thank him for providing all the incentives for me to spend more money there than I ought to.

Bonnyrock Jan 6, 2009 9:34 am

Using BA Amex card or Tesco mastercard in Tesco

Apologies if this has been covered before. My query is when shopping in Tesco is it better to use the Tesco card or BA Amex card along with the clubcard. My calculations are below - are they correct? (assumes 5 points for every £4 spent on the Tesco Mastercard). By my reckoning using the Tesco card is better.

Spend £60 in Tesco

Tesco Mastercard Points 75 = 180 BA Miles
Tesco Points 60 = 144 BA Miles

Total= 324 BA Miles

Tesco Points 60 =144 BA MIles
BA Amex 60 = 60 BA Miles

Total 204 BA Miles

Corpt Jan 6, 2009 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 11020162)
The Tesco Clubcard Credit Card earns 1 point for every £4 spent (rounded down on a per transaction, not per statement, basis - so a £7.99 purchase is treated as £4).

Originally Posted by Bonnyrock (Post 11021320)
My calculations are below - are they correct? (assumes 5 points for every £4 spent on the Tesco Mastercard).

:confused:

Teece Jan 6, 2009 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Bonnyrock (Post 11021320)
Apologies if this has been covered before. My query is when shopping in Tesco is it better to use the Tesco card or BA Amex card along with the clubcard. By my reckoning using the Tesco card is better.

Your mistake is believing the Tesco marketing for their card. The 5 points per £4 they quote includes the 4 clubcard points you'd get no matter what payment method you used. The additional 1 point for the £4 when using the Tesco MC means that the miles accrued directly via the Amex makes Amex the better payment method to use.

vanmunchen Jan 6, 2009 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 11020162)

2. Tesco DVD Rental (expires 31 January)

1,000 points when you subscribe for 3 months via www.tesco.com/rentalq Cheapest package is £3.97 a month so you are basically getting 2,400 miles for £12, which is a good deal - plus some DVD rentals as well!

I tried to sign up for that but on doing so the site said "We're sorry, but the promotion code you've entered has now expired" although according to the terms and conditions the offer is valid until 31 January 2009.

NGEddie Jan 6, 2009 11:30 am

Fuel

Tescos have just introduced double points on their fuel, which is great as it is my main source of miles being a company car driver filling up 2-3 times a week (along with PC Points).

I didn't see any promotional date end on their blurb but i only quickly glanced at it whilst paying.

luxury_travel Jan 6, 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by NGEddie (Post 11022079)
Tescos have just introduced double points on their fuel, which is great as it is my main source of miles being a company car driver filling up 2-3 times a week (along with PC Points).

I didn't see any promotional date end on their blurb but i only quickly glanced at it whilst paying.

Have you register with Shell Drivers Club? That could also transfer to BA Miles as well, and if you could get the V-Power Club, you'll get 2 points for every litre purchase. Worth considering:)

kepiblanc Jan 6, 2009 12:02 pm

Surely, "Either go in style, or dont go at all" sounds better old son!

NGEddie Jan 6, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up - I will have a look and do the math, however i don't recall seeing that many Shells on my regular routes outside of those on the motorways (which we are 'discouraged' from using) - but it may be the case of just not looking for them. Thanks agian.

Blueboys999 Jan 6, 2009 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Teece (Post 11021401)
Your mistake is believing the Tesco marketing for their card. The 5 points per £4 they quote includes the 4 clubcard points you'd get no matter what payment method you used. The additional 1 point for the £4 when using the Tesco MC means that the miles accrued directly via the Amex makes Amex the better payment method to use.

I have to admit to never quite being able to get my head around this calculation even though I have both cards.

I'm not for 1 moment questioning your response but is the Amex still better if (like me) you're on the higher rate of return from the Clubcard points? I reckon I'm better of with the Tesco card - Amex 241 aside.

Roger Jan 6, 2009 12:36 pm

Well, 1 point per full £4 on the Tesco credit card doesn't sound great to me.

£100 spend on the Tesco credit card - assuming it is in multiples of £4 = just 25 points = 80 BA Miles at the old rate (or 60 at the current rate).

£100 spend on the BA AmEx Premium Plus card - assuming in full pounds - produces 150 BA Miles. Similar spend on the regular BA Amex produces 100 BA Miles. Both beat the Tesco earnings.

As Raffles points out, the Tesco rate is poor and is useful if you want to use it at an outlet that doesn't take AmEx, though there are far better MasterCard and Visa cards.

It would take a lot to convince me that the current card is any use other than as Raffles advises. I'm glad I have the old card offering 1 point per full £ at Tesco stores, tesco.com and Tesco Travel, and 1 per full £2 elsewhere including Tesco petrol.

These calculations ignore the points earned on the Tesco clubcard, which are additional.

LaydeeSarah Jan 6, 2009 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by vanmunchen (Post 11021723)
I tried to sign up for that but on doing so the site said "We're sorry, but the promotion code you've entered has now expired" although according to the terms and conditions the offer is valid until 31 January 2009.

I got this also. The promo code has 'NOV08' in it, so I am assuming it actually expired in November. I sent an email to CS earlier today as it doesnt seem right to have a public offer valid till 31st January when you cannot actually take advantage of it (well, the points anyway :D). Will let you know if they give me any leeway.