Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tesco and BA [2009 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
Clubcard 2 will be heavily promoted this weekend and next. The first detail out (maybe the only one at this stage?) is that from Monday all purchases will get 2pts/£. Not bad but not all that exiting.

(I hope deals will not get diluted to reflect this though!)
Hm, should we bank the miles in case they get diluted? Or not? Decisions, decisions.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by pauldb
Clubcard 2 will be heavily promoted this weekend and next. The first detail out (maybe the only one at this stage?) is that from Monday all purchases will get 2pts/£. Not bad but not all that exiting.

(I hope deals will not get diluted to reflect this though!)
Remember when Nectar did this? They doubled everyone's existing points balance, offered 2 Nectar points per £1 spent in Sainsbury's (rather than 1 point) but valued a Nectar point at 0.5p (rather than 1p) so overall no real change.

I'm not really sure if some people suddenly thought that their doubled balace was suddenly worth more. I'd really hope not but I rather suspect that's not the case.

Last edited by where2travel; Aug 14, 2009 at 5:49 pm
Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Here are some more details of the new Clubcard offering:

TESCO DOUBLES CUSTOMER REWARDS IN FURTHER BOOST TO CLUBCARD

Almost half a million new customers sign up since May re-launch -
Tesco today announced the launch of Double Points on Clubcard giving customers even more reasons to shop at Tesco and making the UKs most popular loyalty scheme bigger, better and more rewarding.

From Monday, Tesco Clubcard holders will receive double Clubcard points two points for every £1 they spend across the store and online as Tesco says an even bigger thank you to shoppers.

The move is the next phase of Tescos Clubcard re-launch, following the success of Double Up which doubled the reward for customers on selected categories and has attracted almost half a million new Clubcard customers in just three months. In the same period more than 1.5 million customers doubled up their vouchers with the most popular categories being clothing and wine.

Now Tesco has made a major change to the way customers collect points by automatically awarding double points across the store and online making Clubcard simpler and even more rewarding for customers.

Announcing the launch of Double Points, Carolyn Bradley, Tesco's UK Marketing Director said: "The UKs biggest and best loyalty scheme just got even better for customers who stand to double their rewards simply by continuing to shop at Tesco. No other supermarket offers customers the low prices and great promotions they want as well as a big thank you for shopping.

Clubcard is our unique way of rewarding customers for their loyalty and our latest research tells us that it is more important to them than ever before. As the rewards just got even bigger with Double Points we expect more customers will see the no catch money saving advantages of Clubcard and sign up. Why wouldnt you? Its free, its easy and all you have to do is shop!

The move will help millions of families around the country make their money go further and has been launched in time for customers to receive vouchers in their next mailing before Christmas - the time when most customers need help to stretch their budgets. A family spending £90 a week at Tesco* between now and Christmas could now earn £34 in Clubcard vouchers instead of £17. Vouchers can then be spent in store or online or exchanged for up to 4x the value on a great range of Clubcard Partner Offers. £34 in Clubcard Partner Offers vouchers is enough for a return flight to Paris just for doing the weekly shop!

Points can be collected on and used to buy products across the store and online from one of Tesco Directs best selling TVs - Panasonic 42 full HD LCD TV with built in Freeview - priced at £649.97 (earning customers 1298 Clubcard points instead of 649 points) to popular gift ideas such as a Nintendo Wii Console & Sports pack + Wii Fit priced at £219.97 (earning customers 438 Clubcard points instead of 219). The more customers spend at Tesco the bigger the rewards.

When stores around the country close on Sunday afternoon thousands of staff will work through the night to prepare the store for the launch and a nationwide marketing campaign will also begin which will include new television and print adverts.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:51 am

Programs: BA
Sounds too good to be true.

I hope it doesn't mean a drop to 300BA miles per £2.50 for my existing points.
I also hope it doesn't mean an end to the items with bonus points.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC, Skywards, KLM
When the devaluation in Sainsbury's vouchers took place (before Nectar, when they were with BA / Airmiles) then the instore offers of (say) 100 extra points etc stayed the same, therefore appearing valuable but actually worth half of what it was. Now most of us here probably get most of our points from extra points offers rather than the basic points-for-spend, so it may not be so good for us.

That said, if the points aren't actually devalued, then the extra points offers would be worth the same as long as Tesco still use them.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Accorhotels Silver
Double clubcard points when you use your Tesco clubcard credit card abroad until 30th September

So 4.8 BA miles for every £4 spent, making it a slightly better deal than Amex temporarily.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by hingethunder
Double clubcard points when you use your Tesco clubcard credit card abroad until 30th September

So 4.8 BA miles for every £4 spent, making it a slightly better deal than Amex temporarily.
Or 4.8 vs 6 mile per £4 if you have a Prem Plus Amex . From what I remember the overseas loadings are 2.75% (Tesco) and 2.99% (Amex) so I suppose it's still better to use a Nationwide (0.84% outside Europe, 0% within).
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:55 am

Question for y'all...

Hi,

I convert my vouchers in to miles. I do it manually and my Tesco Account remembers my BA Exec no. saving my from inputting it.

Now...

I was wondering if i could convert cc vouchers to airmiles with vouchers awarded from a a clubcard registered at a different address. The vouchers will still be under my name, just a different address.

This is so i can benefit from grren point recycling qoutas...

Currently i already transfer cc vouchers in my mothers name(different surname) although the vouchers are at the same address as my Tesco account i am exchanging them through.

Any ideas??

Could i try and if they dont get rejected will they be awarded back to me....

Thanks guys
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:00 am

ps. Really hope our Clubcard Vouchers will not become devalued as suspected. Im already regretting opting for BA miles instead of airmiles :-(

Why did you all choose BA miles over Airmiles?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Hi,

I was wondering if i could convert cc vouchers to airmiles with vouchers awarded from a a clubcard registered at a different address. The vouchers will still be under my name, just a different address.

Thanks guys
You can, you just have to change your BA exec club address to match your tesco one. I move mine between home, work and parents and it seems to work fine. I tend to leave a day or two between changing the BA exec address and converting the first lot of miles just incase they have some wierd thing where stuff updates at midnight or whatever (I have no idea if this is the case but it seemed prudent !). good luck
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by malkie
Sounds too good to be true.
not sure why this is too good to be true? Points earned from standard purchases are pretty insignificant; it's the extra points deals which are the real earners. So if the latter will stay the same then no major difference to me.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
750 points

XXC26Y - 750 points for £50 Spend
Just stumbled across this on PTS, dont think its been posted, it worked on my account/s.. Offer ends 4th October (apparently).

Cheers Cal
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by janed9388
You can, you just have to change your BA exec club address to match your tesco one.
Actually, no, you don't. There is no address reconciliation between Tesco and BAEC for the purposes of converting ClubCard vouchers to BA Miles.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Marriott Gold; Accor Platinum
Hi

I converted £67.50 worth of cc vouchers to BA miles yesterday and they posted today - very efficient.

However, I was expecting 16200 but got 21600 - anyone know why ....or am I missing something - like a brain!

Only received one of my accounts so far - are others in this boat?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by seville
Hi

I converted £67.50 worth of cc vouchers to BA miles yesterday and they posted today - very efficient.

However, I was expecting 16200 but got 21600 - anyone know why ....or am I missing something - like a brain!

Only received one of my accounts so far - are others in this boat?
I'd keep your head down! Someone at Tesco Towers has presumably mis-keyed and transposed the first three digits. Never credit large organisations with all-pervading technology solutions; you'd be surprised how much manual work can go on in the background...

Receiving vouchers at different times for different accounts is quite normal. It's a massive mailing operation and it does take some time (and the Royal Mail and/or other handlers in the chain) probably demand a certain amount of flow control.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.