Wiki Posts
Search

Tesco and BA [2009 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
OT: Waitrose to launch loyalty scheme

Well, more of an affinity scheme, really.

Given that Mrs Roger prefers Waitrose and the current dearth of Tesco points offers makes it difficult to justify the Tesco trip, this just may be what she and I need.

From Marketing Week http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/cgi-b...s&m=pg_hdr_art

Waitrose customer club aims for brand ‘affinity’

Waitrose is launching its first loyalty-style customer club later this month as part of a major push to retain key customers and build its profile with food lovers. The launch of the Waitrose Food Club is being driven by the chain's managing director, Mark Price.

The retailer is reluctant to reveal details of the club or what rewards will be offered to customers but Price says it has been designed to “ensure key customers have a greater affinity with Waitrose.” ...

It is the first time the supermarket has moved into the loyalty club area and it comes as the chain seeks to build its presence in the face of competition from rival chains. Sainsbury’s and Tesco have had reward points schemes for several years.

Price says he prefers not to refer to the new club as a “loyalty” scheme, preferring to call it a brand “affinity” driver ...
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Roger
Well, more of an affinity scheme, really.

Given that Mrs Roger prefers Waitrose and the current dearth of Tesco points offers makes it difficult to justify the Tesco trip, this just may be what she and I need.

From Marketing Week http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/cgi-b...s&m=pg_hdr_art
Thanks very much for posting this - I have sent the link to Mrs BA1A as she too prefers Waitrose. The icing on the Waitrose cake would be if they tie up with BA, like Tesco have done.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: Tesco Blue, Library Card
We've just switched to Waitrose since the Tesco points dried up. We're impressed by the quaility and level of service so far and so BA miles would be great! ^
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA1A
The icing on the Waitrose cake would be if they tie up with BA, like Tesco have done.
That would be great, though I think it's most unlikely - unless Waitrose displace Tesco as Tesco once displaced Sainsbury's.

I can't help feeling that it will be more of a feel-good club - targeted promotions? - than the vulgarity of points. Don't want us middle class types on points trawls, eh?

I would love to be 100% wrong.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:30 am

"The step comes after news that the retailer is bidding to woo new young male customers via a tailored online version of its customer magazine Seasons"

Have they been to Waitrose in Brighton???
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by koksy
Have they been to Waitrose in Brighton???
Or indeed Clapham Junction Fair to say Waitrose does seem to attract a more attractive shopper than your average supermarket.....

Good news on the affinitity scheme - having switched all our food shop away from M&S, some return would be nice!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Well, my household received three healthy living envelopes with coupons for pence off, no points at all, and not worth the extra drive to Tesco.... i.e 15p off if you spend blah on bling.. So, Mr Tesco, they all got chucked in the multi-fuel burner and re-cycling...
Good news about Waitrose, (mine used to be Safeways) which is my closest store and finding that I use it more and more for fresh food... lets hope that the loyalty scheme is "rewarding"... I am sure there will be some interesting early offers..... Don't Waitrose / John Lewes have a travel partner? Green bee?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Well I had the Healthy Living letter as well. Not good at all. I have earned more BA Air Miles in the past week from Staples (BA eStore, nice Ł500 stationary order 2000 BA Air Miles), wife buying books off of eBay instead of Amazon, daughter ordering games from Game (great advantage is if you have a Game card you get Game points as well as BA Air Miles).

Oh and 500 miles from eRewards for the surveys I have been doing. Plus with the flights I completed in December it has certainly helped keep my balance up.

So far only 6k of Tesco points in the accounts arghhhhhh, but I am still shopping as its the biggest store near me and I dont like Asda....

Regards
J
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:38 am
SLF

Programs: Various
I got emailed a survey from Tesco about how I wanted them to respond better in the current economic climate, and one option was more points offers. Sadly the survey wouldn't complete as I assume the server crashed midway or something. I tried again later and got told to sod off as they'd had enough responses from people like me. Shambolic.

When Ocado first appeared they didn't deliver to my area, but from their postcode checker I see that has now changed, so I'll try them out. The Waitrose shop itself is closer than our nearest Tesco, also....
Old Jan 17, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold
I want to buy a couple of cases of the Montes Alpha Syrah (2006) that I had in the F lounge at T5 the other day. Are there any voucher codes for the wine club that anyone has at the moment other than the tesco credit card one?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OT: Nectar points have some value shock - Jersey Boys

The general opinion is that Nectar points have little value other than shopping discounts and gym visits. They do have short term deals from time to time, including theatre tickets.

A current offer is for Jersey Boys evening performances Monday to Thursday to 30 April 2009. They cost 4,375 Nectar points each with no booking fee or charge for postage. I've just booked for what will be our annual visit (Broadway, London and now London again).

The Grand Circle tickets show face value of £42.50 each. Curiously, the invoice shows a price of £17.50 each with no mention of points. £17.50/£42.50 for 4,375 points offers another value calculation.

Only Grand Circle tickets are available.

http://www.nectar.com/rewards/genera...ROM=ROM0008789
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Accorhotels Silver
Waitrose are going to be taking over my local Somerfield, in a move which has resulted in much rejoicing and dancing in the streets. So I've got my fingers crossed for a link up with BA!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:53 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Just filled out a survey for nectar about possible changes to their programme.

One of the main points in there was specifically the ability to convert/transfer nectar points to "BA miles".

Could it be that something is in the air and about to be announced between nectar and BA?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:41 pm
GLA

Programs: BA VS
Originally Posted by hingethunder
Waitrose are going to be taking over my local Somerfield, in a move which has resulted in much rejoicing and dancing in the streets. So I've got my fingers crossed for a link up with BA!
Do you live in Glasgow by any chance? Can't wait for the Byres Road Waitrose and a tie-up with BA would be fantastic!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GLA
Do you live in Glasgow by any chance? Can't wait for the Byres Road Waitrose and a tie-up with BA would be fantastic!
Just told Mrs Efin about this store opening on Byres Road and shes extremely happy about it to say the least .

Another thing - did i miss something about the Waitrose thing? Was there an actual mention of a BA tie up, or is it merely people speculating that it would be a nice addition if they tied up their scheme to BA?

Efin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.