Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tesco and BA [2009 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Originally Posted by where2travel

The white Leopard's Leap is still showing at £5.35 on the shelf-edge label but it's going through the till at £4.99 with the 100 points. "Tolerable" is a fair description.
The Leopard's Leap red also 100 extra points is a little better than the white, I don't know which one gave me this head ache though.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 5:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
I agree the red is fractionally less offensive. Just checked and it is definitely labelled £4.99 in Tesco Victoria and posting the points correctly. There's about three boxes left.

For the really thirsty there are 4 cans Woodpecker cider for £3.50 and 50 points

Unsurprisingly I have yet to hear from anyone Tesco Leytonstone or the local plod...
Old Aug 7, 2009, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Originally Posted by ajamieson
I agree the red is fractionally less offensive. Just checked and it is definitely labelled £4.99 in Tesco Victoria and posting the points correctly. There's about three boxes left.

For the really thirsty there are 4 cans Woodpecker cider for £3.50 and 50 points

Unsurprisingly I have yet to hear from anyone Tesco Leytonstone or the local plod...
Pity its not Strongbow and what a bunch of tossers
Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
Hassle is just the start. I was last night threatened with arrest at Tesco after its refusal to honour offers took a rather sinister twist.

I needed to fix two things: first, the missing 2 x 800 points that the store had fobbed me off about with nonsense two days ago (see above) and, second, to fix an offer where you got various spirits for £10 if you spent over £30 instore (my chosen item was incorrectly charged at full price of £14.09).

The young lad tried hard to fix the 800 points but various supervisors and duty managers insisted the promotion had never existed and that I would never be getting any points. The label had gone from the shelf, so I had no evidence except the original scrawl on my receipt from one of their colleagues authorising the credit after two days. They refused, stating the member of staff could not be identified from the receipt. Very odd, that.

Duty manager also refused the other offer, saying I hadn't spent £30 (I had spent £106, as per the receipt) and then saying I should have spent £30 on groceries (I had spent £86, as per the receipt) and then saying I should have spent £30 on food only. I went to the aisle and returned with the shelf barker that clearly said "spend £30 instore" with no mention of food but she still refused and said I would have to make a complaint to head office. In light of the sinister attempts to wriggle out of the 800 points offer (which "never existed") I said I would the take shelf barker as evidence, at which point she had me surrounded by security and said the police would be on their way to arrest me for theft. I took a picture of the label instead but she said "photography isn't allowed". I'm prepared to spend the night in cells at many locations where mankind struggles against oppression and ignorance but the Leytonstone branch of Tesco isn't one them so I said I would hand the shelf label back if she returned the £4.09 she clearly owed me. After more refusals she eventually relented and I made the long walk to freedom through the car park.

Still no 1600 points, though. This will be an interesting discussion with Tesco...

For anyone still wanting some points, the Tesco Metro south of Victoria station is selling Leopard's Leap Lookout S African chenin blanc with 100 extra points for £4.99 a bottle. It has a tolerable taste, there's plenty left, and the points post correctly at the till
On the issue of the spirits overcharge I agree with you. On the points one though I don't - Tesco are wrong but haven't you heard of the phrase YMMV? And you could easily take them back for a refund if you weren't happy.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:14 am

I don't understand you. The offer never said "YMMV", it said "800 points when you buy this product". I bought the product, and want the points. Anything else is a breach of trading law, pure and simple.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
True. Although, given the circumstances, I would be taking the champers back to Tesco for a refund on principle.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
And although not a lawyer (unless it suits me !) would talk to Tesco about false imprisonment if they held you in the store awaiting the police..don't think they can hold you for taking a photograph (given that you are being recorded on CCTV - as are the staff) and the SEL has no commercial value so no loss to Tesco ..

Once was accused of using stolen MOC in Tesco..supervisor was soon put in her place about slander (though not quite sure if I was correctly but she royally peed me off !)
Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: BA
I'm no lawyer either, but given that tesco's is private property I'd imagine they are entitled to photograph/video you, while refusing you the entitlement to photograph/video them. There's probably a sign somewhere that states "CCTV camera in use" to ensure they are legally covered.

I doubt taking a photo in tesco's is illegal, but I'm confident they could request that you are removed from the shop for doing so, and failure to leave would evoke the Police to do it for you.

All that being said, I do like the idea of taking a photo of an SEL to prove your point at the CS desk.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:31 am

Indeed, Tesco were within their rights to prevent me taking a photograph and equally to call the police since I had made quite clear I was going to take the paper shelf label home. The fact that they chose to exercise these rights rather than fixing their mistake in the first place is pretty astonishing.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
ajamieson - very sorry to read of your horrible experience and the completely over the top response from Tesco.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 5:30 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
If it was me I would make their life hell and request copies of all CCTV evidence of you in the store on that day and the day that you were in there buying the other items,

They have to supply you with this by law if you request it.

I would be bringing this to the attention of head office as this sort of management is very very poor to say the least.

I would have got them to call the police. The police would have done nothing! If they had bothered to turn up. All it would have done is made the manager look stupid.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 6:00 am

Programs: BA
Sadly my guess would be that the police would side with tescos as the manager would probably say you were being a "trouble maker", and to end the situation the police would move you on.

While by law they have to provide CCTV footage when required, they don't have to make it easy you for. My guess would be they'd say you had to present yourself in person at head office and then wait 3 months for the request to be processed.

Back to points - I did buy two bottle of that lepards leap wine yesterday, and also three finest sandwiches which will form the basis of a picnic for this afternoon in Whipsnaid.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by mdj1
I would have got them to call the police. The police would have done nothing! If they had bothered to turn up. All it would have done is made the manager look stupid.
The most important thing is that when they do call the police, you call the local newspaper and tell them to send a photographer down pronto. Will make a great story and will ensure the interest of more senior people at Tesco.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:46 am

Hassle is just the start. I was last night threatened with arrest at Tesco after its refusal to honour offers took a rather sinister twist.

I needed to fix two things: first, the missing 2 x 800 points that the store had fobbed me off about with nonsense two days ago (see above) and, second, to fix an offer where you got various spirits for £10 if you spent over £30 instore (my chosen item was incorrectly charged at full price of £14.09).

The young lad tried hard to fix the 800 points but various supervisors and duty managers insisted the promotion had never existed and that I would never be getting any points. The label had gone from the shelf, so I had no evidence except the original scrawl on my receipt from one of their colleagues authorising the credit after two days. They refused, stating the member of staff could not be identified from the receipt. Very odd, that.

Duty manager also refused the other offer, saying I hadn't spent £30 (I had spent £106, as per the receipt) and then saying I should have spent £30 on groceries (I had spent £86, as per the receipt) and then saying I should have spent £30 on food only. I went to the aisle and returned with the shelf barker that clearly said "spend £30 instore" with no mention of food but she still refused and said I would have to make a complaint to head office. In light of the sinister attempts to wriggle out of the 800 points offer (which "never existed") I said I would the take shelf barker as evidence, at which point she had me surrounded by security and said the police would be on their way to arrest me for theft. I took a picture of the label instead but she said "photography isn't allowed". I'm prepared to spend the night in cells at many locations where mankind struggles against oppression and ignorance but the Leytonstone branch of Tesco isn't one them so I said I would hand the shelf label back if she returned the £4.09 she clearly owed me. After more refusals she eventually relented and I made the long walk to freedom through the car park.

Still no 1600 points, though. This will be an interesting discussion with Tesco...

For anyone still wanting some points, the Tesco Metro south of Victoria station is selling Leopard's Leap Lookout S African chenin blanc with 100 extra points for £4.99 a bottle. It has a tolerable taste, there's plenty left, and the points post correctly at the till
This is an outrageous situtation. I would recommend that you go over to PTS (paidtoshop) and explain whats happened, there are some pretty big hitters that have taken on tescos in the past and won.

The thing that bugs me is that tescos are trying to lure us in with all of these extra points deals and when someone is intelligent enough to spot a loophole, they change the rules to suit them. Not good!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by dmahon
you call the local newspaper
Well, as luck would have it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.