Why did BA stop seat selection?

Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
Why did BA stop seat selection?

Was it a cost saving thing? I can't imagine how it saves them money. It's something I always look for when booking flights- can I select my seat at time of booking? Do BA have any plans to re-introduce this for a normal booking (i.e. not full fare)?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:42 am

It was to make OLCI advantageous at -24. The policy has dramatically increased the amount of customers who checkin at home and print their own boarding pass.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD *S, VS Gold, AFKL Petro Club
To increase the value of full-fare tickets and elite status perhaps?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
And, presumably, also to stop the fragmenting of the seat map which you tend to get when you have nearly unrestricted pre-allocation.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 5:29 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
It was to make OLCI advantageous at -24. The policy has dramatically increased the amount of customers who checkin at home and print their own boarding pass.
Very true, I never used to bother, Im on t-24 on the dot now
Old Oct 11, 2008, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Blue.
Why don't they consider borrowing an idea from cruise ships where you can guarantee yourself a level of cabin but not actually choose one. If any upgrades are going - your given priority.

i.e.

Gold / Silver - can choose their own seat as per current practice and also given priority if upgrades are required.

Blue - allow you to either choose your seat or not to choose your seat. If you choose your seat - you will be after gold, silvers and other blues (who chose to "gamble") and any other passengers should upgrades be needed.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Oh for the love of God, how many threads/debates on this? They have not stopped seat selection. www.ba.com/seating explains it all. A search will reveal argument after argument after argument - none of them new - on this topic.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Oh for the love of God, how many threads/debates on this? They have not stopped seat selection. www.ba.com/seating explains it all. A search will reveal argument after argument after argument - none of them new - on this topic.
Ah that's the effect of too much JW Black kicking in.....frayed nerves,lack of patience and understancing.

BA's seating policy?

If you don't like it fly with someone else who offer better.
That's what I do but only if flying in economy long haul.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by HIDDY
understancing
Sure you've not been at the sauce yourself, HIDDY? PUCCI drove you to it? Blaming other people for your drinking habits...
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:34 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by mrdisco
Was it a cost saving thing? I can't imagine how it saves them money. It's something I always look for when booking flights- can I select my seat at time of booking? Do BA have any plans to re-introduce this for a normal booking (i.e. not full fare)?
Daft. Let me know when they change their minds. Meanwhile I'll use other carriers.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:37 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If you don't like it fly with someone else who offer better.
That's what I do but only if flying in economy long haul.
You actually travel? I thought you just posted here.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sure you've not been at the sauce yourself, HIDDY? PUCCI drove you to it? Blaming other people for your drinking habits...
So far only coffee today.

I blame the typo on the approaching storm making me rush as I have to bring the washing in before it hits. PUCCI will love to hear that.

Originally Posted by vla
You actually travel? I thought you just posted here.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:07 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
Thats all very well & good, for the outbound leg of the journey.

But how are you supposed to OLCI on the return ?

Spend the last day of your holidays frantically trying to get access to some computer somewhere ??

Just so you can get a seat assigned & not risk having yourself & your partner split up on the return flight. Or end up in crappy, bottom of the pile seats.

I dont think so

Originally Posted by harryhv
Daft. Let me know when they change their minds. Meanwhile I'll use other carriers.
Exactly what Im doing & loving every minute of it
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
I suggest you take a copy of what you have said and keep it in a handy file so you can cut and paste it for the next time the subject is raised ....
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Oh for the love of God, how many threads/debates on this?
Never fails to rankle, does it?

The fact is while the policy may be familiar to us smoothies, it is NOT familiar to the good and great outside our community, who find it inexplicable.

There is a way to stop the questions, of course ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.