LHR-LAX BA283 - High J or Mid J?

Old Aug 21, 2008, 6:35 am
Original Poster

LHR-LAX BA283 - High J or Mid J?

Hi

I'm travelling to LAX on BA283 (12.15-ish departure) in October and wanted to figure out which configuration the aircraft was (I'm currently a lowly blue and booked into CW on an I fare basis - so no pre-booking of seats for me!).
Is the aircraft for this flight a high J (70-ish??) or mid J (52-ish??)?

I'm keen to know where I should aim to sit in order to be one of the first off the plane and into customs.

Thanks
Flyr
Old Aug 21, 2008, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
www.expertflyer.com is what you want. Configs can and do vary by day in a lot of cases.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
my last inbound from LAX was mid-J, if that helps...
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA Platinum, Amex Platinum, SPG Amex
My family and I were on BA 0283 last Saturday going home and it was a Mid-J. We had four seats together (60 JK and 61 JK) on the UD - very nice flight.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Silver
I've flown 283 a bunch of times, and since the advent of NGCW, it's always been the mid-J in my experience.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
What's the date and flight number? Can look it up on expertflyer.com for you.

dsk7
Old Aug 22, 2008, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks dsk7 that would be great.
I am on BA0283 on Wednesday 1st October, although I'm tempted to arrive super early at LHR and try and get on the earlier departure - BA0279 (although I'm not sure what BA's policy is around that kind of thing, worst case scenario I can enjoy the Elemis spa while I wait!).

Thanks
Flyr
Old Aug 22, 2008, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyr
(although I'm not sure what BA's policy is around that kind of thing
"No, unless you have a flexible ticket".
Old Aug 22, 2008, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Really?
Even for a standby type change of flight?
Would they rather send a plane off that had plenty of CW seats empty rather than let me take a flight leaving two hours earlier because I don't have a flexible ticket?
I would have thought that in a very last minute scenario such as that, that they would view the ticket as a ticket on that particular route rather than on a particular flight and so long as I am prepared to be on standby (and get to the airport several hours before I am actually required to) and sit anywhere that is still available that I would be able to board the earlier flight.
I'll also only have carry on which I would have thought would be a distinct advantage.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has been done to death many times on past threads - have a little search if you're really interested. BA does not do 'standby' as such. This is one big difference between most European and US carriers. If you want the ability to change flights, you have to buy that flexibility in the ticket price.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Ah! Ok. I might have a peruse.
To be honest its just something I thought about recently, but looks like I'll get a sleep in instead!!

Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 5:16 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
The high 70's or mid 52's are often decided a day or two before departure, but of course you can book your seat online 24hours before departure, then you will see what seating size it is, from experience it is normally 70's as this is a very popular route.

I would firstly recommend that you go for seats upstairs, as this is a much nicer cabin, smaller and very intimate, plus good service, and you feel like a little private club, no WTP paxs wanting to peer through curtains to see what CW looks like, and invariably UD has no babies, due to having to climb stairs.

Would suggest you opt for seats 64, AB or JK as these are at the top of the stairs, and on arrival into LAX the 1st class pax are allowed off, then the UD pax are off next, so you have a good chance of getting to immigration really quickly.

Have a good flight, I am flying out on 8th, but in F
Old Aug 22, 2008, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by BA5E
Would suggest you opt for seats 64, AB or JK as these are at the top of the stairs, and on arrival into LAX the 1st class pax are allowed off, then the UD pax are off next, so you have a good chance of getting to immigration really quickly.
I'm puzzled by this. The forward CW cabin normally is let off second, simply because it is nearest to door 1, which ought to be the exit door (and would have to be if the F pax are leaving first). The UD pax will then be coming off at the same time as the rearward CW cabin, more or less.

However, on an 11-hour flight you don't want to be choosing your seat on the basis of getting off first. The difference between the UD and the front of the CW cabin downstairs is an extra thirty or so people in front of you. You can overtake most of those if you walk fast.

If you actually have a special reason for wanting to get off early, such as a tight connection (particularly if this is through no fault of your own, such as a flight delay) ask the cabin crew if you can move to the downstairs front cabin prior to landing. It won't be a problem provided there is a spare seat. I only ask if I have a special reason like this, because otherwise it feels a bit like queue-jumping.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sure thing Flyr - the 283 is a high-J, and the 279 is a low-J.

Club is much more full on the 283, but First has quite a few seats compared to the 279.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Awesome. Thank you.
I'm now looking forward to my flight on 283. I'm not a big fan of WT+ being in that odd position.

Flyr

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.