Wiki Posts
Search

Transit in LIS

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Transit in LIS

Does anyone have any experience of transiting in LIS?

I will be arriving on BA and departing on TAP - both in J. I have a 3.5hr layover, so will need some entertainment!

Is there a lounge I can use or will I be stuck in some ghastly transit lounge? Any shops / cafes?

Presumably worst case scenario I can clear customs and go back through so I can use the BA/TAP lounge and other facilities?
Old May 5, 2008, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BA Loyal
Does anyone have any experience of transiting in LIS?

I will be arriving on BA and departing on TAP - both in J. I have a 3.5hr layover, so will need some entertainment!

Is there a lounge I can use or will I be stuck in some ghastly transit lounge? Any shops / cafes?

Presumably worst case scenario I can clear customs and go back through so I can use the BA/TAP lounge and other facilities?
Not used the "BA" lounge for quite some time but when I did it was a horrible dingy hole literally a room with a few chairs and some drinks. The TAP Lounge is very pleasant if you are travelling in C or have *A Status. The food and drink selection whilst very Portuguese is better than many BA lounges.
Old May 5, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
BA use the Air France lounge in Lisbon. It's small and dull but fairly o.k. No food to speak of.

But the city is moments from the airport - reckon on 15 minutes in a taxi. And the taxi fare downtown is only about 20 Euros including a generous tip, so if it were me I think I'd clear immigration and wander off to the City for a meal/museum/whatever takes your fancy.
Old May 6, 2008, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Not at 8pm?! Not worth the hassle. I have some work to do so will stay in the airport.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
BA use the AF Salon at LIS, which (along with the TAP lounge) is located airside, but before outbound ex-Schengen passport control. Go up the escalator after security, turn right at the duty free for the AF lounge, left for the TAP.

I have never transited in LIS before but I would imagine to gain access to the lounges you will have to enter Portugal because of the passport arrangement referenced above. I doubt it would take you very long.

The AF lounge is a windowless box with limited magazines/newspapers and a couple of TVs showing CNBC. There are two iMacs for passenger use and Wi-fi (can't remember if paid). Limited selection of spirits however they have both proper and non-alcoholic Sagres, soft drinks and mixers. Food is limited to biscuits, crackers, BabyBel and Laughing Cow cheese and some pretty grim olives.

Certainly not where you'd want to spend more than 35 minutes, let alone 3.5 hours!
Old May 6, 2008, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The TAP lounge is OK, and destined for greater things after the current "works" in the terminal are over. (Who knows? they may be over already...). In any case, it is definitely preferred to the BA offfer.

If you have M&M status, the LH lounge is larger and much less crowded.

TAP almost never uses an airbridge. There's a risk of spending a bit too long standing on a bus waiting for it to get fuller...
Old May 6, 2008, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BA Loyal
Not at 8pm?! Not worth the hassle. I have some work to do so will stay in the airport.
I would class the hassle as pretty limited to be honest. It's a 3-4 mile journey from the airport to the centre of town. And given the choice between having a between-flights drink in a cafe overlooking the old centre of Lisbon, or in a windowless box in the terminal at Portela, I know which one I would choose!

If you simply want to get work done, I can understand - any of the lounges will at least give you respite from the main terminal and hopefully the space to get some work done.
Old May 7, 2008, 1:20 am
Original Poster

If I want to go to the TAP Lounge it seems I will have to clear customs... BA lounge sounds useless...

Shouldn't be too much hassle.
Old May 7, 2008, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I recommend the Duck Pies in the TP Lounge, there is a nice range of Portuguese wines too. As others have said depending upon time of day LIS is very close to the city centre, in my experience I have spent longer queuing for a taxi than I have in the taxi to my destination. If you have a full 3.5 hours on the ground I would recommend a visit into town as other contributors have suggested. The TP Lounge is OK but I wouldn't necessarily want to spend 3.5 hours there. You should allow 20-30 mins after landing for your bus transfer to the terminal (BA never use airbridges at LIS) and a further 15 to 20 mins for immigration after that everything is plain sailing. Security is particularly well organised at LIS with very short queues, BAA could learn something from LIS.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Just a small update - the airside works at LIS seem to be finished and there is a nice new food court. There is a cool "Cockpit" bar that does nice trendy tapas type stuff, a McD's, Pizza Hut, restaurant and the obligatory Irish pub (!?). There's also a decent duty free shop with a good selection of wine and port. All in all this makes the AF lounge even more pointless...I couldn't understand why it was packed when the outside areas were much more pleasant to sit in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.