Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Questions re: BA Chase, companion tix, ff miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:18 pm
mlm
Original Poster

We just got the Chase BA Visa card and I have some questions I'm hoping can be answered.

I've been reading about the high tax, fee, fuel charges when using BA f.f. miles. Do these same high fees apply if we were to get the companion ticket ($30,000 Visa use the first year) ? or are we better off accumulating enough ff miles to use those instead of a companion ticket? We have some large purchases coming up so we can meet the $30,000 and this might be an option to fly Business Class round trip to South Africa. Our other option is to use our BA miles and transfer Starwood points into BA account and fly round trip using only f.f. miles (no companion ticket).

Also, how hard is it to get 2 round trip Biz tickets to South Africa? I'm assuming you can book up to approx. 11 months ahead so that would be ok with our travel dates IF there is availability. Unfortunately our travel dates are only a little flexable, like a day or two.

I'm concerned about spending $30,000, getting the needed miles and nothing will be available even if I try to book way ahead. We are not frequent BA travelers (companion tix must be on BA) but we do fly AA often. Guess I'm trying to figure out whether to go for the companion ticket or not. Thanks for any experience you can share.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You'll still have to pay the taxes/charges/fuel surcharges/and whatever on the companion ticket as well.
Still a great deal if you fly Business or First Class as you can save thousands on the ticket price. As for availability...no idea but you can check for yourself using the redemption booking tool on the BAEC site.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:09 pm
mlm
Original Poster

Thank you Hiddy. Still a bit confused and am assuming that we would need to purchase full price "rack rate" Biz class ticket to get 2-4-1 companion ticket.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
No -- that's somewhat like how it used to be with Chase, but with the $30k spend, you now get a voucher that can be used for a 2-4-1 redemption (i.e. using miles, but e.g. 100k miles will get you two CW tickets to london). You still have to pay taxes/fees, but for J/F it now becomes worthwhile.

tb
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:49 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've found the Ts and Cs for the companion voucher on the BA website:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...=searchResults

# The Redemption Voucher allows the main BA/Chase account holder, when making a return flight booking using BA Miles, to book another seat on the exact same journey for a companion without having to pay the BA Miles flight price for that Companion. Taxes, airline, government, or other separately charged fees and charges must be paid by Member redeeming the Redemption Voucher and is payable at time of booking.

# The Redemption Voucher will be issued in the name of the main BA/Chase Credit card account holder, who must travel on any Redemption Voucher booking.

# Redemption Vouchers can only be used for travel on reward flights listed in the Executive Club Redemption table operated by BA, in any cabin class, as long as the Member has sufficient BA Miles to complete the booking for their desired journey.

# Redemption Vouchers cannot be redeemed for travel with BA’s franchisees, code share partners or oneworld Alliance members.

# Outbound travel must take place before the expiry date stated on the Redemption Voucher however inbound travel may take place after the expiry date.

I only picked out some of the conditions that seemed more relevant right now. I've printed the whole thing out, as I, too, might be attempting to spend the required amount to earn one of these.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:18 pm

The companion offer applies to 2009 spend right? Understand that more info is coming in Jan but does anyone know when the e-voucher will post to the account. I am about to use 500k miles on a trip and would be great to use the voucher for one person but want to book soon before the dates start to fill up in Nov
Old Jan 5, 2010, 5:28 am

Can one use the voucher for a trip originating outside NA if there address is in the US? Just read All the T&C's from the BA website and didn't see this.
Can i assume that even if i got the card in October i can start spending now after January for an 1010 voucher?

Thanks,

flymaster
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:01 am
mlm
Original Poster

The trip must originate in the USA. I talked to a BA rep and was told the voucher would arrive approx. 4-5 weeks after spending the $30k. The 30k is based on 1 calendar year. I was also told that for companion ticket in Biz Class, you do need to pay for a full fare Biz Class ticket, not one of the discounted ones (I don't know the class of seat letters you all use)
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:35 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by mlm
The 30k is based on 1 calendar year. I was also told that for companion ticket in Biz Class, you do need to pay for a full fare Biz Class ticket, not one of the discounted ones (I don't know the class of seat letters you all use)
Mind you, I'm no expert - but everything in the Ts and Cs I linked above speak of 2-4-1 points redemption. Nothing speaks of paying cash for a ticket and getting the second one free. Let's say you had the alternative (though I don't think you do). Why wouldn't you use points? You can get two biz or F trips for the cost of one mileage redemption, though of course you have to pay the fees for both tickets.

# The Redemption Voucher allows the main BA/Chase account holder, when making a return flight booking using BA Miles, to book another seat on the exact same journey for a companion without having to pay the BA Miles flight price for that Companion. Taxes, airline, government, or other separately charged fees and charges must be paid by Member redeeming the Redemption Voucher and is payable at time of booking.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by mlm
The trip must originate in the USA. I talked to a BA rep and was told the voucher would arrive approx. 4-5 weeks after spending the $30k. The 30k is based on 1 calendar year. I was also told that for companion ticket in Biz Class, you do need to pay for a full fare Biz Class ticket, not one of the discounted ones (I don't know the class of seat letters you all use)
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same voucher...
I am referring to the voucher which you get after spending 30k which is valid for reward bookings.
I looked at the T&C's and didn't see anything about the trip having to originate in the us.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:21 am
mlm
Original Poster

I received a BA flyer with my credit card yesterday . It seems that what this says is different than what some of replies are posting.
Here is word for word:
Every year you spend $30,000 you will receive a redemption voucher for a ticket for a companion, valid for 2 years. Redeem your BA Miles for a British Airways flight and take anyone with you, on the same flight, in the same class of service.
Every time you purchase a full-fare First, Club World or World Traveller Plus ticket, you'll receive a complimentary companion ticket. Please visit ba.com/visa2for1 or call 1-877-376-3155.....
(at the bottom) .....It says that travel must originate in the USA.

I'm beginning to think that there are two different types of companion tickets, it seems unclear.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlm
I am not sure you are talking about the same voucher when you talk to BAEC.

There are 2 different 2-for-1 vouchers.

One that I assume is what you talk about, to redeem 2 award seats with the cost of ONLY ONE AWARD SEAT, in MILES.

There is no full fare or discount fare on MILES redemption.

You probably got yourself totally mixed up with BAEC as you keep talking about FULL FARE which is for PAID TICKET. However since you refer to the Chase Visa - that is for AWARD TICKET. 2 completely different type of Voucher incentives.

The other one is a 2-for-1 when you purchase a full fare ticket. But you dont need to spend $30K on the card in order to enjoy this bene. You can invoke this bene as long as you pay FULL FARE which obviously is much more than the discounted fare even on the same class of service. You may want to price out a FULL FARE CW versus a discounted CW to see if this bene is worth it.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 5, 2010 at 10:30 am
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlm
I received a BA flyer with my credit card yesterday . It seems that what this says is different than what some of replies are posting.
Here is word for word:
Every year you spend $30,000 you will receive a redemption voucher for a ticket for a companion, valid for 2 years. Redeem your BA Miles for a British Airways flight and take anyone with you, on the same flight, in the same class of service.
Every time you purchase a full-fare First, Club World or World Traveller Plus ticket, you'll receive a complimentary companion ticket. Please visit ba.com/visa2for1 or call 1-877-376-3155.....
(at the bottom) .....It says that travel must originate in the USA.

I'm beginning to think that there are two different types of companion tickets, it seems unclear.
These are 2 different benefits.

You dont need to spend $30K to be able to do the full-fare FIRST CW or WT+ to get the visa2for1 offer. You can do this ANYTIME you wish.

However you only receive the 2-for-1 AWARD Redemption Voucher, after you have spent $30K on your BA Visa in a calendar year. And you DO PAY taxes and fees on BOTH award tickets. I am not sure the Award tickets have to originate from US as this is not in the writing at all.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:46 am
mlm
Original Poster

You are so right Happy and I'm now realizing why the confusion.

Chase needs to get it's act together. The Chase named/Logo'd brochure accompanying my credit card yesterday directs you to learn more by visiting a website . When you go to this website it is for a Platinum credit card by FirstCaribbean International Bank (I have a Signature card by Chase). It also says booking by December 31, 2009...kind of tough when the card didn't even arrive until January 4, 2010.

Chase needs to read their own brochures before stuffing them in the envelope!

Having trouble adding website, it's www.ba.com/visa2for1

Last edited by mlm; Jan 5, 2010 at 10:51 am Reason: include link
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
Has there been any further clarification on this. I'm trying to decide whether to do the $30,000 on this card or on another card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.