Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Exchanging Marriott Points for Tesco CC and BA Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exchanging Marriott Points for Tesco CC and BA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver. Apparently.
Sorry to ask the obvious, but I do not see anywhere in points.com a reference to Marriot Rewards programme upon registering.

Could someone take a second to point this out for me. thanks in advance.

JA.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
D*mn, just the other day I transferred 125,000 MR points direct to 50,000 BA miles. Sounds like I made a bit of a mistake, missed out on 34,000 BA miles, wish I had read this first.

Last edited by chipster; Dec 30, 2006 at 5:09 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Jock's Away
Sorry to ask the obvious, but I do not see anywhere in points.com a reference to Marriot Rewards programme upon registering.

Could someone take a second to point this out for me. thanks in advance.

JA.
It's not on points.com per se. Marriott simply uses points.com for processing, as they have the IT in place. BA is the same - if you buy BA Miles, your credit card is charged as points.com, even though you cannot do anything with BA inside points.com itself.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by chipster
D*mn, just the other day I transferred 125,000 MR points direct to 50,000 BA miles. Sounds like I made a bit of a mistake, missed out on 34,000 BA miles, wish I had read this first.
Doh !

The benefits of Marriott - Tesco - BA has been explained in Post 1 of the Tesco thread for the last year!
Old Dec 30, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA; Marriott; HH Gold,
Originally Posted by 5EF
Well Ive gone for the 99k Marriott points also, using my BA Amex card (UK), all went through ok, got email receipt but will take a couple of days for the points to add to my Marriott account, so lets see what happens after that.
hmm so if you are a bit short on your Amex 2-4-1 spend it would be a good way of getting lots of miles and reaching the £10k spend .....
Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by 5EF

125k MR = $1250 (c£700)
125K MR = 35,000 Tesco CC
35,000 CC = 84,000 BA Miles
84,000 BA Miles for £700 = 0.83p per mile.
So you need a further 30k MR (which makes the 16k remaining BAmiles) to make 100k BAMiles. Hence another $300, and hence a total of £868. Now add on the taxes and charges for a single Club world return ticket, which should be about £150, and you've now spent £1k for your ticket. Its better than buying it straight from BA but not exactly worth going nuts over.

Hence I would have thought this route has the same principles as buying from BA; its good if you need to top your mileage up for a specific flight, but not worth buying for the sake of it.

I have ignored Amex 241, because as you are allowed only 1 per year and you can make 100kBAMiles quite easily for free just shopping online at tesco, this will already have been used.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
Doh !

The benefits of Marriott - Tesco - BA has been explained in Post 1 of the Tesco thread for the last year!
I only use my Tesco clubcard for things other than Tesco, never bothered to read the thread! Lesson learned
Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Originally Posted by Raffles
35,000 CC = 84,000 BA Miles or 112,000 if you convert at the higher rate

Cost per mile is therefore 0.78p, or 0.58p if you have the higher Tesco rate!

I can't help thinking there must be a snag here, but I can't think of one so far. I suppose the only problem is that you need to convert the full 125,000 MR points to get the best Tesco rate.
Hi

Could you please explain to me (or point me in the direction of the original posting) about the "higher rate" mentioned above?

Thanks

/MHL
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:03 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer
Hi

Could you please explain to me (or point me in the direction of the original posting) about the "higher rate" mentioned above?

Thanks

/MHL
MileHighLawyer

The "higher rate" is no longer available to newcomers at Tesco - see the "What is Premium Clubcard?" section of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6117646
Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:19 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
Originally Posted by knifeandfork
I've leapt in for 99k, and will post when they hit the Marriott account.

I have received my 99k.
I joined Marriott Rewards on Friday evening and then applied for the 99k. The points are in my account this morning.
I used my BMI CC.
Thanks to the OP. -----and thanks to Raffles.

Last edited by braefoot; Dec 31, 2006 at 1:25 am
Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:36 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by braefoot
I have received my 99k.
I joined Marriott Rewards on Friday evening and then applied for the 99k. The points are in my account this morning.
I used my BMI CC.
Thanks to the OP. -----and thanks to Raffles.
Your points are in which account? Did you give your genuine address in Scotland?

Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:51 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
Originally Posted by uk1
Your points are in which account? Did you give your genuine address in Scotland?

Thanks.

In my Marriott Rewards account and yes, I gave my address in Scotland.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 2:40 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Cost benefit

It works for me. For example, 1500 USD spend via Marriott points gets me around 100,000 BA miles. So, say 800 GBP plus 450 GBP in tax/charges/etc and a two for one gets two Club transatlantic flights.

Each to his own, now, off to FRA to buy some WTP tickets....
Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:08 am

Programs: BA; Marriott; HH Gold,
if you are converting them to Tesco I would get this done pretty quickly as its the "end of quarter" soon. Tesco will only convert to BA once a quarter so you dont want to be waiting for months to get your Miles.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:18 am
5EF
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; BA PP AMEX; HH Gold
Originally Posted by spotwelder
It works for me. For example, 1500 USD spend via Marriott points gets me around 100,000 BA miles. So, say 800 GBP plus 450 GBP in tax/charges/etc and a two for one gets two Club transatlantic flights.

Each to his own, now, off to FRA to buy some WTP tickets....
Same here, Marriott points all posted ok, now to convert to Tesco. Will let you know how it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.