FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   23 Kilos max baggage weight as of 13th Feb (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/635439-23-kilos-max-baggage-weight-13th-feb.html)

swissytrader Dec 13, 2006 7:32 am

23 Kilos max baggage weight as of 13th Feb

After the seating 'enhancement', now comes the baggage changes.

23 Kilos max weight per piece from 13th February.

I received the following;

Dear Mr swissytrader.

Our vision for London Heathrow Terminal 5 is to create the best possible airport experience before you fly. With this in mind we have announced a new simpler checked and excess baggage policy, which will come into effect on 13 February 2007.

Checked baggage

In order to comply with health and safety recommendations the maximum weight per bag will be reduced to 23kgs. The number of free checked bags you may take will vary according to your class of travel and route. Please check ba.com for the details of your free allowance on your next flight.

Excess baggage

A fixed fee, the cost of which will depend on the length of your flight, will be charged for each bag in excess of the free checked baggage allowance. In the majority of cases the new charges will be less than those currently levied and a further 20% discount will be available by pre-paying online at ba.com up to the point of check in on most routes.

You can find out more about the new baggage policy including a reminder on the
changes to hand baggage here.

Kind regards,

Sarah Keyes

aristoph Dec 13, 2006 7:35 am

Oh f***ing marvellous! Sorry, I don't usually use that word in real life, let alone in print, but I thought the one benefit of the liquids in hand luggage fiasco was that this crazy policy would be allowed to die a death. BA you are really screwing with us at the moment!!! :td: :td:

LHR Tim Dec 13, 2006 7:38 am

Boy, the w@nkers at WallyWorld are really working overtime this month! :rolleyes:

jhm Dec 13, 2006 7:39 am

Originally Posted by swissytrader (Post 6840980)
"Our vision for London Heathrow Terminal 5 is to create the best possible airport experience before you fly. With this in mind we have announced a new simpler ..."

Do they think we're stupid ? :mad:

Brian_1 Dec 13, 2006 7:43 am

Another reason why the Star Alliance is becoming more and more appealing to me.

Well done Mr Walsh.

B

BAHumbug Dec 13, 2006 7:43 am

I'd hoped this had died a death - 23kg is really a feeble limit and I'm fed up with this disingenuous 'for health and safety reasons' line that is being peddled.

I can't help feeling that this, coupled with the ridiculous new seating arrangement and the general 'mean-ness' I feel emanating from Waterworld is going to drive a lot of people to say 'enough is enough'.

BMI and LH are starting to look more and more attractive...especially as I have no travel booked with BA after April of next year.

It's hard to win back loyal customers once you've driven them away...or does nobody at BA understand/care about that ?

BAH

G-BOAC Dec 13, 2006 7:44 am

Surely this is just the baggage changes we all knew of long ago which got postponed from October due to BAA being incompetent. Now, if BAA would pull their fingers out of their sorry arses and run a proper 'security' system, we'd be back to one case + one personal item/laptop bag as hand luggage and this would not bite quite so hard.

I still find it total bollox that 23Kg is for 'health and safety' reasons though. Since the workshy baggage handlers are on 'work to rule', this issue is surely moot? There can only be a health and safety issue if the lazy f*!kers were doing any handling of baggage at all, let alone of 32Kg ones :rolleyes:

I do love the way everything is now being rolled out wrapped in a sham of a mockery of a farce of 'Our vision to make T5 a wonderful, easy, happy, clappy travel experience means that we have to....<screw you over somehow from now on>' :rolleyes:

This is another classic case of BA having no grasp on the real world in which their loyal and ESSENTIAL premium customers live. The seating changes would all be hugely easier to swallow if everyone on the PNR benefited from the highest status as before. Simple as that. People who can assign seats, want to do so together. That is a total no brainer. Likewise, this baggage crap would be easier to swallow for people travelling together (especially with young childrren) if the allowance could be pooled up to a 32Kg max. per case. Pha, we did this all to death on the other thread originally. BA didn't listen then, nor will they now :(

SLF Dec 13, 2006 7:46 am

Yeah, I got this too. Good tactic I guess ... get all the bad news & customer alienating policies out in one go.

Not. <...censored...censored...censored...censored...ce nsored...censored>

LHR Tim Dec 13, 2006 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Brian_1 (Post 6841043)

Well done Mr Walsh.

B

Which, IIRC as *G you get an EXTRA 10KG baggage allowance just for being *G!

The Saint Dec 13, 2006 7:54 am

Well there you go!

Had thought that BA had thought better of this plan. Obviously not.

VS, SQ, LH and CX for me for longhaul after 13 Feb.

It's BA's valentine gift to all its loyal customers. :rolleyes:

thegoderic Dec 13, 2006 7:54 am

I also love the fact that when you follow the link in the email where they will allegedly tell you how many 23kg bags you can take, it goes straight to the existing baggage policy page with current allowances.

They are really going to lose business with this.

jhm Dec 13, 2006 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Brian_1 (Post 6841043)

I can't remember from the old thread but is the maximum 23kg requirement a BA or BAA stipulation ? If the latter, it would presumably apply to *A airlines ex-LHR as well.

BAAZ Dec 13, 2006 8:06 am

Nightmare! especially for those travelling economy.

Short haul it's the number of bags that's the problem, not so much the weight; on ET the limit was always 23kg so won't change, and on CE you can now in theory take 2 x 23 = 46kg instead of 30kg. But I often used to check two small bags instead of one large one, particularly now with the silly ex-UK hand luggage rules. Or if coming back with a purchase that isn't particularly heavy but can't be counted as hand luggage. (Or is liquid, like the 5 litres of our gardener's olive oil which I bring back each time I visit our place in Italy :) ). Now everything has to be in the one case.

Long haul economy fares just effectively go up by £60 or whatever they want to charge (extra cost of the inevitable second bag). I've been lucky enough to be able to have avoided Y long-haul for as long as I can remember, but do the one-bag rules apply to WT+ as well? :(

And long haul premium fares also go up by £60 if you want to take more than 46kg (3 x 23 would take you up to the old 2 x 32).

And health and safety my a***. Look at places like Sweden etc where their H&S legislation is much more draconian than ours, and 32kg is no problem for them. I have a Swedish friend who sells lifting devices - hand-operated fork-lift-truck type things designed for specific applications - and he's always amazed at what they let people do in the UK. He's never seen people pushing those horizontal stacks of 50-100 trolleys around an airport by hand except in the Third World - most sensible airports provide little ride-on electric pushing-things for that. I'm sure that if a sensible assessment was done of how the handlers lift the luggage - it isn't the weight, it's how and at what angle etc you lift it - they could solve the problem.

aristoph Dec 13, 2006 8:06 am

Originally Posted by jhm (Post 6841164)
I can't remember from the old thread but is the maximum 23kg requirement a BA or BAA stipulation ? If the latter, it would presumably apply to *A airlines ex-LHR as well.

BA allegedly in accordance with HSE guidelines. No other airline has breathed a word of the same crap however.

LHR Tim Dec 13, 2006 8:07 am

But if you read the mail:

comply with health and safety recommendations
These are recommendations, not regulations. And I suppose your bags will still take a minimum of 45 minutes to get to the carosel :rolleyes: