23 Kilos max baggage weight as of 13th Feb

Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
I suspect the "Health and Safety recommendations" excuse has been demanded by the unions to protect the workshy (aka bone idle) luggage handlers from "potential injury". What a bunch of pansies.

Yet another example of the deeply malign influence of the trade union.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, AMEX BA PP, AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Hardly in a meaningul way I'd say (i.e. like NCW improvements do). They get the same checked bag allowance already on by-piece routes with a marginal extra allowance on by-weight routes in F. And they already had the same hand luggage allowance after the new changes came in (which is the same as every cabin anyway now with BAA's useless airports forcing the 'one bag only' rule on us all).

Is it good F/J and CE/W have more baggage allowance than Y? Yes, that should mean less chance of people on already expensive fares paying excess perhaps, if they pack right. BUT is it any good that it's 3x23Kg? No. Why? It's entirely impractical for the lone business traveller (err, hello, did someone say 'target audience'? Oh, no, sadly nobody thought of that at BA again?) to lug around 3-4 items (2-3 checked, one hand luggage) to/from airports, ffs. It's even less practical for a family with a couple of small kids to lug around dozens of cases and 2 pushchairs, etc. The whole thing doesn't add up. Sigh.
^ ^ Well said!

When the two of us go away in CE for a weekend break, or even CW Longhaul on a weekend break (or even 5 days), we take the one case as we don't want to be saddled with piece after piece of luggage, especially since the Mrs does not want to carry anything apart from her handbag

I guess that the 'discretion' they had when two customers are sharing one bag to 'pool' the allowance also goes out the window

Last edited by krich; Dec 13, 2006 at 8:55 am
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:47 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
No, it hasn't. You can still easily and legally bring a case (within the maximum dimensions) and a second item on board ex-US. Or ex-EU (I often do ex-HEL for example). It has just disappeared in places where 'security' is run by a shower of incompetents, i.e. BAA.
Of course, and I too always have 2 carry on bags flying ex US or any sensible country which can provide decent security.
But the fact that BA have changed this does not bode well for it being reintroduced ex UK
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PhilH
I suspect the "Health and Safety recommendations" excuse has been demanded by the unions to protect the workshy (aka bone idle) luggage handlers from "potential injury". What a bunch of pansies.

Yet another example of the deeply malign influence of the trade union.
I agree and that is the reason why the policy won't change.

I suspect there was much horse trading in smoke filled rooms around changes in working practices for T5 and the 23kg maximum weight was an easy concession for the BA negotiators to make in return for something else that would save them money.

How wrong they were. I suspect they will find this costing them millions in lost passenger revenue.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL, GFL, SQ PPS, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
* Alliance for me too

I have nearly 4000 TP's with BA this year but this is the final straw. I have flown SQ and TG longhaul recently and will certainly be using these airlines premium cabins to Asia and Oz in the future.

I have no clue what BA are playing at.....
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
BUT is it any good that it's 3x23Kg? No. Why? It's entirely impractical for the lone business traveller (err, hello, did someone say 'target audience'? Oh, no, sadly nobody thought of that at BA again?) to lug around 3-4 items (2-3 checked, one hand luggage) to/from airports, ffs.
This came up before, but what sort of traveller on a purely business trip needs to take 46kg or 69kg of luggage? Blimey, I manage with a carry-on sized bag and my laptop for pretty much all my work trips.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:53 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
F off BA. I just got the message from Sazza and came str8 here to find I'm a latecomer to this news.

Only the poor travel light and I'm not poor. 23Kgs they can f right off.

I'm gay for godsake. If I go away for a week I can't be seen in the same outfit every day. I can't even be seen in the same outfit for the whole of one day.

This is not on Sazza.

From 13 Feb VC10 Boy will be going out of his way to fly with a Star Carrier.

What a nice Valentines pressie from the worlds most stupid f-ing airline.

Of course I can have x number of other bags at 23kg at a price. Perhaps I should save money by travelling discounted Y. No on second thoughts I couldn't bear it.

Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Teece
This came up before, but what sort of traveller on a purely business trip needs to take 46kg or 69kg of luggage? Blimey, I manage with a carry-on sized bag and my laptop for pretty much all my work trips.
Agreed in general...but this is why it's the limit of the weight which is the major PITA, not the number of pieces - and upping the number of pieces is just something BA hopes will 'sound good' as part of the smoke and mirrors here. Who will actually travel with 3x23Kg cases each in reality!?

Do I regularly carry that much in my luggage? No - certainly for shorthaul/short longhaul trips. But if I'm going to an event or going on a longer 'tour' type trip, then in addition to clothes I often pack literature/samples/other stuff, etc. I cannot recall in all my travels that I've exceeded 32Kg. I have exceeded 23Kg many times. Do I relish trying to lug 2 suitcases now, one weighing 23Kg and one weighing 2Kg, around? Not really! That's just bloody silly! What about those shopping jaunts to NY? I'm pretty sure all the airlines are loving that right now - so what, should I check one case and then a second empty one to fill up? How the hell does that help them reduce baggage handling costs - the lazy, useless, workshy baggage handlers now have to mishandle twice as many cases. It'll take twice as long to get bags out! The August farce proved the baggage system is already over-stretched...how does putting MORE cases in the system at a few Kgs less help? It is madness. In addition, instead of carrying one case for me weighing, say, 25Kg in total, BA will now carry 2 cases - 23Kg + 2Kg + weight of second hard-shell case (only a fool travels with a soft-shell case!). This is going to INCREASE the total weight carried and cost MORE in fuel. No doubt they will then seek to find further cuts from cabin/flight crew expenditure somehow to cover this and lead us all in to another strike as a result. Again, utter madness. For a company which must surely piss away millions on consultants and MBA-toting wasters, I can't believe it appears BA have never heard of "joined-up thinking"

I don't want 3x23Kg. I can't think of a time when I'd ever have 3 cases of 23Kg each. Ever. I would be very happy to have (for example) "EITHER 1x32Kg OR 2x23Kg, sir, otherwise you must pay excess, sorry" though. If BA want to make my life easy and offer me a flexible, hassle free travel experience, that's what they should actually bloody offer - flexibility.

Likewise when travelling with others - pooling of luggage makes sense. That becomes less of a reality with a 23Kg limit and NO flexibility to pool the allowances of 2 or more people.

Every 'little' cut. Every stupid, ill-thought-through change. Every extra hassle. In aggregate, they're all noticed. They add up and just make regular travel that bit more depressing and less enjoyable. BA pissing off premium pax which are its lifeblood given the stated strategy of targeting the business markets, just makes no sense to me at all.

Last edited by G-BOAC; Dec 13, 2006 at 9:15 am
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:01 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by BA
Our vision for London Heathrow Terminal 5 is to create the best possible airport experience before you fly. With this in mind we have announced a new simpler checked and excess baggage policy, which will come into effect on 13 February 2007.
This is rich. Create the best possible airport experience by forcing us to pack more into out carry-on bags, so I can tote around useless kilograms whereas before I just checked them into the hold. I fail to see the improvement. This assuming of course BAA gets their act together and permits a normal amount of cabin luggage; but if not, we'll be forced to become like Brülč by spending countless hours debating the finer points of what to bring in a very limited amount of space. (The horror... I like chucking everything into my hold bag and then chucking it onto the conveyer belt.)

I also notice that "simple" seems to be the new word in BA marketing. A simple seating policy. A simple baggage policy. A simple hand luggage policy. A simple Executive Club. Has simple become the new enhancement?

How much more simplified and enhanced is the flying experience to become???
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Red
... No. Why? It's entirely impractical for the lone business traveller (err, hello, did someone say 'target audience'? Oh, no, sadly nobody thought of that at BA again?) to lug around 3-4 items (2-3 checked, one hand luggage) to/from airports, ffs. It's even less practical for a family with a couple of small kids to lug around dozens of cases and 2 pushchairs, etc. The whole thing doesn't add up. Sigh.
I agree entirely - my trips are generally for a few weeks. I was happy with my big case on wheels which sometimes weighed approx. 26Kg, a wheeled cabin bag and my laptop bag. I cannot see how I could manage an additional case given that I currently have one in each hand and the laptop bag on my shoulder.

Furhtermore, as my laptop now has to go into the cabin bag, I can't carry as much with me onto the plane and will need to put more into my hold bag.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:04 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy

I'm gay for godsake. If I go away for a week I can't be seen in the same outfit every day. I can't even be seen in the same outfit for the whole of one day.

This is not on Sazza.
D'accord!! I know what you mean entirely!!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:08 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
Only the poor travel light and I'm not poor. 23Kgs they can f right off.
I don't think this is true. I find the poor are the ones who overpack, because they have not the experience of traveling to know what they need and don't need. I certainly would love to travel with only one bag less than 23kg, because I know half of what I would want to pack, I generally never use when traveling...

But as it is, I often end carrying more for other people whenever I fly long-haul and/or shipping new own things (i.e. upcoming trip to reposition ski equipment from Seattle to Europe). Upcoming trip next week one entire suitcase is devoted to gifts alone, and half the other one is things for my parents. Lugging Christmas presents, presents from other people, clothing for other people (I always come back from the US with a Gap shipment for those deprived in the Netherlands), new cloths for myself, new books, old books (books weigh a lot), whatever... I'm not a business traveler obviously. When I do travel "on business" it is indeed only with a small suitcase.

If I take out everything not related purely to my immediate travel needs, I'd probably only have 20kg maximum. I also have wardrobes in three countries, so that helps. Poor people don't have wardrobes in three countries (not that I'm rich by any stretch of the imagination).
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
I also notice that "simple" seems to be the new word in BA marketing. A simple seating policy. A simple baggage policy. A simple hand luggage policy. A simple Executive Club. Has simple become the new enhancement?

How much more simplified and enhanced is the flying experience to become???

Well, when the airline is run by a simpleton.....
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
I am wondering - are they doing this just so they can have a laugh at our expense?

I usually travel light. But occasionally I have a larger piece of luggage, (e.g. around christmas when i have a suitcase full of presents).

The day the check in agent tells me that I cannot check my suitcase in because it's heavier than 23kg, I will look him/ her in the eye, say thank you very much, cancel my booking, get my refund and walk over to any other airline that is happy to take me, my clothes and my presents all at once.

Again, this smacks of arrogance on BA's part - they might come to regret many of these policies come the next downturn.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fraisse10
Well, when the airline is run by a simpleton.....
I thought "simplify" was always the BA euphemism for eliminating something entirely, while "enhance" signified cutting away at an existing benefit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.