Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Idle Rumour: BA to nab 4 UAL 744s?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:56 am

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by chris18london
I was actually waiting for the whoosh sound of that comment passing over someone's head in yet another case of SOH failure..

I take that comment back
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA GLD
Originally Posted by eastwest
sftrvlr-

when a 'lobsterback' calls you a 'pratt' he/she means you are an ..., idiot, fool...take your pick...it's a derogatory term meaning any of the above.

for the record, i love most things british and i don't usually refer to them as kingsmen or lobsterbacks...
Actually, I'm a 1/2 Yank, 1/2 Pommie, and went to school back in Merry Olde England, so it has a meaning to me. Just not the rest of us Colonials.

Oh, and I love many things British, too. As well as many things American. So I suppose I just really love myself ...
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:50 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
sorry, I know this is very kiddiesspeculateonplaneliveries.net!
The kiddies have picked this one up

http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/2965811/

but have had the cheek to call US in return

ivegotgoldstatussoyoudbetterkissmyass.com

Cheek !

Wet kippers at 5 paces, chaps !
Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
The kiddies have picked this one up

http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/2965811/

but have had the cheek to call US in return

ivegotgoldstatussoyoudbetterkissmyass.com

Cheek !

Wet kippers at 5 paces, chaps !
I think they're just jealous that we actually get to fly on the planes that they enjoy talking about so much!
Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:36 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by norodnik
..QF took Ex-Malaysian 744's which had CF6's and it was the worst thing they ever did (IMHO). (I remember flying on one from SYD-LAX and there was an enormous gap between the back of F and the start of J...
Wasn't that the one with the enormous gap in the sheet metal work down the r-send that started during a repaint when the paint strippers used a metal scraper instead of a plastic one?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by og
Wasn't that the one with the enormous gap in the sheet metal work down the r-send that started during a repaint when the paint strippers used a metal scraper instead of a plastic one?
I thought that occured while repainting a 737 not a 747.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by og
Correct. Cost Qantas a fortune to fix it.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by WHBM
Correct. Cost Qantas a fortune to fix it.
At one stage, there was even talk that the affected aircraft might have to be written off.

Buying second hand aircraft is not a mistake QF is likely to make again in a hurry!

One other thing about the RR-engined aircraft vs other engines: I believe that the flight deck instruments are different. There's at least one parameter which is shown in different units. But I can't now remember whether that was someone explaining it to me in respect of the QF 744 fleet or the BA 777 fleet.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Isn't it the N numbers, i.e. the speed of the main fan is measured in a different way on RRs?
Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Buying second hand aircraft is not a mistake QF is likely to make again in a hurry!
Or at the very least they learned they should do their pre-purchase engineering inspections properly !

Caveat Emptor ! Due Diligence ! How many different ways are there to say it ....
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
To be fair, I'm not sure how easy it would have been to spot the very minor damage that there was when the aircraft was delivered. It was only scratches at that stage.

One good thing we know from this, though: QF's D checks are thorough! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.