Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Brighton Restaurant?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Question OT: Brighton Restaurant?

(hopefully wont get attacked too much for being OT...)

Am going to Brighton on the August Bank Holiday for a wedding "evening reception" at the Brighton Hilton Metropole. Have just booked a room to stay there too.

Since we are only invited to the evening do, think that it would be a good idea to get a nice meal first... (evening reception starts at 7.30pm - so probably looking for a 6/6.30 dinner).

The Hilton Metropole has what "looks like" a nice restaurant, but am very suspicious of hotel restaurants - some can be nice others are awful. Does anyone have experience of the hotel restaurant and/or can recommend a restaurant within very easy reach of the Metropole?

Thanks,
Boo
Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The restaurant at the Hotel du Vin is very good - I had a meal there with my brother last year when he was speaking at the TUC conference. Food was great and the hotel is as atmospheric as all the other Hotel du Vin's. It is literally 20 seconds from the seafront, towards the pier. You may even get to sit next to Chris Eubank, as I did - although I never actually noticed because he was beside me!
Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
English's for Edwardian decor and traditional old-style fish and seafood.

http://www.englishs.co.uk/

Not as trendy as Hotel Du Vin. Depends what you like.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
You may even get to sit next to Chris Eubank, as I did - although I never actually noticed because he was beside me!
I can just imagine his distinctive voice: "waiter, this thauthage is too spithy"

I sat opposite Chris once at the Landmark hotel in London. I think he was with his wife. They were very quiet and dined unnoticed.

Have only been to one restaurant in Brighton - Momma Cherie's - http://www.mommacherri.co.uk/ If you're into soul food, it's not too bad. The meatloaf was pretty tasty and the service was OK. We did have to book some time in advance though. Whatever you order, you'll probably leave feeling quite stuffed!

Originally Posted by Boo Boo Too
Am going to Brighton on the August Bank Holiday...
Just remember that if the weather is good then August Bank Holiday will be a nightmare getting into Brighton by car. However, I may well be on hand for up-to-date traffic information along the A23 from my kitchen window.

...it would be a good idea to get a nice meal first...
Nice meal? By the seaside? No, you want Fish & Chips from Harry Ramsden's, ice-cream and/or chocolate crepes with nuts sprinkled on top from an outlet on the Pier. Much more authentic!

Programs: KLM/CO/BA/IB
(hopefully wont get attacked too much for being OT...)

Am going to Brighton on the August Bank Holiday for a wedding "evening reception" at the Brighton Hilton Metropole. Have just booked a room to stay there too.

Since we are only invited to the evening do, think that it would be a good idea to get a nice meal first... (evening reception starts at 7.30pm - so probably looking for a 6/6.30 dinner).

The Hilton Metropole has what "looks like" a nice restaurant, but am very suspicious of hotel restaurants - some can be nice others are awful. Does anyone have experience of the hotel restaurant and/or can recommend a restaurant within very easy reach of the Metropole?

Thanks,
Boo
Try: TERRE A TERRE.
71 East Street.
It's vegetarian,but excellent!
Need to book.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Marchamona
71 East Street.
Need to book.
This is supposed to be the best vegge restaurant in the land... Keep meaning to go there.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
You could try the Gingerman restaurant at Drakes hotel.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
Have only been to one restaurant in Brighton - Momma Cherie's - http://www.mommacherri.co.uk/ If you're into soul food, it's not too bad. The meatloaf was pretty tasty and the service was OK. We did have to book some time in advance though. Whatever you order, you'll probably leave feeling quite stuffed!
Famous of course from Ramseys Kitchen Nightmares...
Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze (and falling), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ian001
You could try the Gingerman restaurant at Drakes hotel.
Better yet, go to the original Gingerman (21a Norflok St). Both Gingermans are excellent but if given the choice I find the One in Drakes Hotel trys a bit too hard to be hip.

As mentioned above, Terre a Terre is excellent but strcitly veggie and English's is good but strictly sea food.

Last time I checked One Paston Place was the only restaurant in Brighton and Hove (actually) to have a Michelin Star. Havent eaten there myself, but heard good things.

Last edited by Unique name?; Jul 22, 2006 at 7:27 am
Old Jul 21, 2006, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
I can just imagine his distinctive voice: "waiter, this thauthage is too spithy"

I sat opposite Chris once at the Landmark hotel in London. I think he was with his wife. They were very quiet and dined unnoticed.

NOO!!!!!!! Avoid Momma Cherri's like the plague!!!! Trust me when I say I dont' know anybody who has been there who had a good meal. It's just as bad as what it was pre- Gordon Ramsay. Even the internet reviews of it are bad.

I agree with Gingerman although if it's a weekend you need to book at least 2 weeks in advance. Los Amigos in Hove is excellent. Food is mexican and italian and chicken wrapped in bacon type stuff. Extensive menu and the fajitas are yummy! The Strand restaurant is also excellent. Look at www.brightonlife.com for first hand reviews of all the restaurants in the area.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Marchamona
71 East Street.
Need to book.
For a meat eater, I am more than happy to go to Terre a Terre. You do need to book in advance about a week in advance for a Saturday which is a good sign of the food there. I would call the food trendy "electic" modern vegetarian.

It is by no means the on vege restaurants. Around the corner is Food For Friends, which has been around forever in Brighton and is less trendy.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 6:56 pm

Programs: QF, SQ
My favourite subject...

Restaurants we like...(booking essential unless stated)

1. Terre A Terre (East St)

I LOVE my meat but yet again - we had yet another fantastic meal two nights ago and boy was it packed. Booking ESSENTIAL and ask for a table on the small patio (weather permitting).

2. Indian Summer (East St)

Two doors away from TaT and a refreshing change from your usual "CTMasala+Cobra please..." Modern 'Fusion-style' Indian cuisine although some of the starters can be a little too flamboyant (still good though)

3. Gingerman (Norfolk Sq, Hove and branch at Drake's Hotel Kemptown)

I prefer the original in Hove which is in a converted cottage. Modern British Fish menu preceeded by 'amuse-bouches' complete with deserts to die for. Drake's menu is more generalised with meat etc., but the venue can feel really cramped (as is in basement and you almost sit elbow-to-elbow with fellow diners despite the romantic setting (hmm?!))

4. The Saint (St. James' St)

Another modern British restaurant but often more interesting serving things like game. Has a good wine list too.

5. One Paston Place (Kemptown)

Consistently fine French cuisine with reviews to match. Perhaps a little out of the way for you though.

6. Carluccio's (North Laines)

Probably the only chain restaurant we would recommend for good fresh Italian food as you may well already know. Booking not essential.

7. La Fourchette (Western Road Hove)

Standards starting to slip with owner branching out into other projects but reasonable modern French fare.

8. Nou Nou (Kemptown)

Near One Paston Place (so a little way out) but most authentic North African this side of Sussex we've been to. Owner Pascal (of La Fourchett) has imported loads of stuff (from furnishings to even fantastic Algerian wines) to add charm to this newish project.

9. Seven Dials (7 Dials)

More modern British food and guess it remains on this list as its near our house but it remains somewhere to take the folks out to dinner if you get my drift.

10. Murasaki (7 Dials)

Proper Japanese restaurant with a great menu of cooked dishes to share like Blackened Cod, Katsu curries, Soft-Shell Crab, etc served with rice. Also excellent Bento Boxes. Sushi not much to write home (esp with Moshi Moshi and Yo!Sushi also in town) about but its great that they do so much more than sushi.

11. Hotel Du Vin (Ship st)

Right in centre of city and standard Bistro meals. hard to fault really esp on convenience factor and decent 'hotel quality'.

Not so much for dinner but more lunch/light meal venues...

1. Real Eating Company (Western Road, Hove)

freshly baked pies, seared tuna salad, etc from this wonderful high-quality deli. Shop also has the best array of cheeses for miles. No bookings taken

2. Bill's (North Road, North Laines)

Organic Grocer and Deli. guaranteed to bring a smile to your face as you dig into their salads and specials like Walnut and Pesto Focaccia slices... mmm...
nb - they close in the early evening (when they run out of fresh stuff so be warned). No bookings taken

3. Pintxo People (Western Road Hove)

Opposite Waitrose - tapas bar/restaurant but more of a Catalan influence (hence Pintxo). Can be pricey (particularly being part of a chain) but nevertheless quite a nice place to eat/drink. Booking not necessary

4. Brighton Rocks (near Upper Rock Gardens off St. James St)

Tiny beach house style bar (gay/mixed) with 'Grazing Menu'. Good for lunch with wine as each dish is designed to be shared like tapas but the influence is generally worldwide dishes. Booking recommended due to small venue.

Am sure there are more places we frequent but can't think of more at the moment and its late. However these places I would AVOID (bear in mind - this is just my opinion)

1. English's - my main course took about 2 hrs to arrive on table. Staff couldn't really care less that everyone else on my table had finished their dessert... my first and last time there!

2. Havana - staff with attitude and mediocre menu. Overpriced.

3. Wagamama's - little consideration again for serving dishes at the same time. I hate it when your dining partner can have their entire meal served and finished whilst you're still waiting for your gyoza starter to arrive.

4. Momma Cherry's - not been since Gordon Ramsey's visit but it was awful when I last ate there.

5. Harry Ramsden's, Seafront 'Seafood restaurants' (in general) and Al Fresco (by West Pier) - tacky, tacky and poor quality stuff. Sorry about Harry Ramsden's, but best F&Chips in city is at Baker Street (London Road area) or Bankers (Western Road Hove) if you're into all that batter n'stuff.

let me know if you need any more advice...
Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze (and falling), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Malaysian16

6. Carluccio's (North Laines)

Probably the only chain restaurant we would recommend for good fresh Italian food as you may well already know. Booking not essential.
No Donatello's?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Malaysian16
2. Havana - staff with attitude and mediocre menu. Overpriced.
I was there for lunch last weekend and had a delicious experience, people watching and superb service and staff; not inexpensive but if you are used to London it's no great extravagance.

www.havana.uk.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.