Wiki Posts
Search

Canada-Uk Open Skies: New Routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2006, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Canada-Uk Open Skies: New Routes

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nat...es-060421.html

Now that there is an open skies agreement between the UK and Canada, do we think that BA will start flying an oil route like EDI-YYC-IAH with a 757? Since CO can make it EWR-TXL on a 757 (3980 nm), then EDI-YYC seems almost do-able (4062 nm) for high revenue oil traffic.

What do you think?
Old Apr 21, 2006, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
On a similar note, does Canada allow international stopovers without requiring passemgers to go through immigration and customs there? My recollection from YVR, for example, is that they do (passengers there can seemingly go direct from an international flight into US preclearance, without going through Canadian customs first).

If so, would BA be able to switch the current LHR-ORD-IAH flight to LHR-YYZ/YUL-IAH (assuming, as seems to be the case, that the majority of passengers are travelling LHR-IAH? This would potentially allow a shorter stopover (IAH passengers need not disembark and re-embark), and BA already has the ground staff at both locations to handle such flights.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
EDI-YYC-IAH would be poor a/c utulisation. It'd be more than 12 hours each way (including ground time) so you'd need 2 a/c and who would want to fly the route? EDI-LGW-IAH on CO would be much better (as is CO's BF). At any rate, AC and CO have YYC-IAH service already. If I had to make a stop in Canada between IAH and the U.K., I'd rather fly to LGW direct on CO.

Sterile transit is possible in Canada. Pax traveling CX on HKG-JFK via YVR don't have to clear Cdn immigration nor do PR pax for MNL-LAS via YVR.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:02 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Confused?

How can the UK sign this as the EU is responsible for all route negotiations in terms of open skies agreements? Do I see our friends in Brussels taking an interest in this matter?
Old Apr 22, 2006, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spotwelder
How can the UK sign this as the EU is responsible for all route negotiations in terms of open skies agreements? Do I see our friends in Brussels taking an interest in this matter?
I think I do see them getting very interested indeed.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Originally Posted by IAATM

Now that there is an open skies agreement between the UK and Canada, do we think that BA will start flying an oil route like EDI-YYC-IAH with a 757? Since CO can make it EWR-TXL on a 757 (3980 nm), then EDI-YYC seems almost do-able (4062 nm) for high revenue oil traffic.

What do you think?
Well I cant see any benefit for BA in this, where would you go? Perhaps YVR to SYD/AKL would make some sense and would open up a genuine RTW carrier like ANZ assuming rights exist for the onward sectors. BUt this goes against recent decisions with MEL and of course head to head with QF.

So i imagine we wont see BA take advantage of anything. BTW am I going mad or did Air Canada fly LHR/DEL daily back 15 years ago?
Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:56 pm

Programs: Platinum Amex, BAEC Blue, BA PP Amex, Club SLH, Avis Wizard
Shouldn't it have a massive effect on BA? If there is no restriction on flights then there will be more competition which should result in lower fares and maybe more reward availability ?!

Wishfull thinking on my part I think
Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Mutu

So i imagine we wont see BA take advantage of anything. BTW am I going mad or did Air Canada fly LHR/DEL daily back 15 years ago?
I think it was to BOM then onto Singapore, using a L1011.

There was a discussion on the AC forum about this a few weeks ago and IIRC, apparently the number of pax they were allowed to uplift from LHR heading East was too small to make this a viable proposition in the long run.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
What do you think?
In homage to the Internet-unsavvy couple who made the headlines the other year, I think it would be funnier if BA started flying two different London-Sydney routes, going in opposite directions.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist

What do you think?
I am not sure which tool you are using, but I am seeing EWR-TXL as 3458nm and EDI-YYC as 3530 nm
Old Apr 22, 2006, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I am not sure which tool you are using, but I am seeing EWR-TXL as 3458nm and EDI-YYC as 3530 nm
As far as I can see, that's correct. These routes are 3980 and 4062 statute miles respectively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.