Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first BA longhaul flight....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

My first BA longhaul flight....

London to Toronto in economy, do I go with the 777 or 747. Never been on a 777 yet, have done KLM 747's before although not BA's. There is something about being on a 747, although I want to give the 777 a go. Can't make up my mind. Cant afford WTP, so it's the back for me.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Plat, IC Plat, Amex Cent
I see no-one has replied! I have to say it has been a long time since I flew economy (sorry!) but I remember I did the first 777 flight with United when the 'plane was launched and I was a student:
The 777 offers a more spacious cabin with a perception of more headroom and more space in the aisles, etc. I have to confess I have a soft spot for the 747 (principally because of the 4 engines) but if I were you, I would give the 777 a go - it has a nicer layout than the 747...for the rest of you who, like me, travel in you know where, I prefer the 747 because of the 'private jet' like enovironment with the wardrobe at the front, etc. etc. but when I recently had a walk down the back, I thought the 777 was better for WT??
If you can, I would always try to get the back row with 2 seats (assuming you're going as a pair) as it is more intimate and don't be fooled by asking for an emergency exit - the draught is freezing even on the latest aircraft!
Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA, DL, AA
I love the 747... but it has been years since MCO lost their 747 for a 777 service. The WT cabin is better on a 777 as the set up is 3-3-3 vs the 747 set up of 3-4-3. There is more head room as mentioned by snowgoose.

BA 0098 & BA 0099 are served by a 747
BA 0092 & BA 0093 are served by a 777
Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG, TK Elite, IHG Amb & HH Diamond
I certainly prefer the 777 when travelling in Y because of the 3-3-3 seating configuration. But when in J, upper deck is where it's at on the 747.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
if you are flying down the back and I mean at the back of WT then you could do worse than try and snag 52 or 53 A or K on a 747 as there is only 2 seats across here and the A& K seats are not next to wall but about 1ft away and so you can stretch your legs out. I have had one of these seats on two flights, although gave one of them up after I discovered the girl sitting next to me had her ankle and lower leg bandaged up after a nast fall. They ain't bad seats if you want the leg room and can stand being close to the toilet. This is where a combination of NC headphones and earplugs is invaluable.

Haven't done WT for a while so not the most up to date info, like most people here, I have a liking for seat numbers in the 60's.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
like most people here, I have a liking for seat numbers in the 60's.
That is unless I can get a seat numbered 1-5 at OLCI or anywhere else (for longhaul ) .
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
If you go for the 747, you do guarantee that you won't get a stupid little IFE screen which is a possibility on some of the 777's. Also, there are a couple of nice cabins of 4 rows (on the 70J seat version) and 2 rows (on the 38J seat version) of economy seats which probably makes the 747 better than the 777 on BA's set-up, although the 3-3-3 seating goes marginally back in favour of the 777.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:53 pm

Programs: BAEC SILVER, AEROPLAN back of the bus
Originally Posted by Mr MCO
I love the 747... BA 0098 & BA 0099 are served by a 747
Thanks! That's the data I've been looking for. I do YYZ-LHR 4+ times a year and have been baffled by seating option differences back and forth.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC QF
Interesting stuff; I'm due to fly LHR-JFK on a BA 777 and then return on a 744, both legs in Y. I logged in to my booking (a group booking done by someone else) to find myself in the very MIDDLE seat in row 30 of the 777, and again in one of the middle seats of the middle section on the 744 returning. I changed my seat to 30F (aisle seat of middle section, centre seat still free) and 51B (the first of the twin-seat rows) on the return. I think I'm happy with 51B, being the furthest twin-seater from the toilets, (would you still recommend NC headphones?); but I'm wondering if I should move myself further back in the 777? There are loads of free seats at the moment. I could go all the way back, but is there any advantage?

Also, I understand that these requests I have made are not guaranteed, at this stage, but when I do my OLCI (from EDI, so I get a couple of hours head start on the passengers originating in London), the seats I get at that point are fixed?
Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MacExtreme
I logged in to my booking (a group booking done by someone else) to find myself in the very MIDDLE seat in row 30 of the 777, and again in one of the middle seats of the middle section on the 744 returning.
Don't be put off by this. If the system has not automatically pre-allocated you something based on your FF status (in which case the previous MMB page before the actual seat map will already have said that you've been allocated a seat), the MMB system seems to just offer you the first seat that it comes across as it works its way back down the aircraft. At that point, you have not been allocated that dreaded middle seat or whatever. This is just a starting point for moving yourself to somewhere that you like.
Originally Posted by MacExtreme
Also, I understand that these requests I have made are not guaranteed, at this stage, but when I do my OLCI (from EDI, so I get a couple of hours head start on the passengers originating in London), the seats I get at that point are fixed?
Nothing is guaranteed, ever - and to take it to extremes, not even after you've boarded the aircraft as you never know whether there's been a duplicate allocation of your seat.

But in general, it's safe to work on the assumption that when you've checked in and got a boarding pass stating a particular seat, you're unlikely to be moved except to something rather better () or if something dramatic has gone wrong somewhere - which very very rarely happens.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Mr MCO
I love the 747... but it has been years since MCO lost their 747 for a 777 service. The WT cabin is better on a 777 as the set up is 3-3-3 vs the 747 set up of 3-4-3. There is more head room as mentioned by snowgoose.

BA 0098 & BA 0099 are served by a 747
Actually it depends on the day of the week. Some days 92 is a 744 and 98 is a 777 and then some dates both flights are 777's. Kind of annoying because I don't want 98 and it's sleeper service but I prefer the 744 when it's offered.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 9:43 am

The best pair of seats at the back of Y are not the first pair but the second and third pair as I found to my cost. We had the first pair on a trip to SIN and although you have space towards the window you can't stretch your legs out any further than normal as you still have 3 seats in front of you whereas the seats behind can stretch out into the space beside you. The back pair are not good as you have people waiting for the loo beside you.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC QF
That makes sense. . . . . 52B it is, then!

What about the 777; any point in moving back down the cabin from row 30? I'm wondering about the bassinet points in the front row (About 5 rows forwards from 30, I think.)
Old Mar 26, 2006, 2:46 pm

As BA Cabin Crew , I would never choose a seat at the very back of the Jumbo because of the queues for the loo. People tend to stand there to stretch their legs, have a chat etc. I would prefer a seat in the forward section of the jumbo personally.

I hope you have great trip.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 2:48 pm

Sorry, can I clarify, by the front section I meant the front of Y. Although C and F is more preferable!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.