Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: occupation of BA FTers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by The Saint
... and justifiably so it would appear. What nonsense!

I had never visited this area of FT. Previously only ever visited the Miles&Points section.
Oh, there are quite a few boards out there that are about much more than just miles, and in many cases they're a lot more fun... (present company absolutely, definitely without a doubt excluded! )
Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Art van der Lay here, public enemy of Morningside's chattering classes. Jollies away from the office are few and far between at the moment - stripping Edinburgh of its World Heritage status is a full time job don't you know but you should never believe what you read in the local press

That said, each weekend is a potential travel opportunity
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Prospero
That said, each weekend is a potential travel opportunity
Ah a man after my own heart.

Contract work in IT for me also. 99.9% travel is personal.

Not so a year or so ago where I was flying back and forth across the pond every month for 3 years. All travel in whY.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:24 pm

"a consultant is someone who knows the entire Kama Sutra but has never had a girlfriend."
......I used to know the Kama Sutra from cover to cover but I still can't do it standing up in a hammock!!!

Former Field Sales Manager then discovered Thomas Cook as Business Travel Field Sales Manager and became hooked on overseas travel. Now B A Ground Staff based at Gatwick - less stress, less money but more holidays!!!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:24 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by The Saint
Legal profession. And 99% of my travel is for holiday.
Ditto - almost. My business travel is < 1%. One domestic trip in 16 years
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Engineer of sorts (or perhaps consultant, or even sales, depending on your point of view) but the job involves a fair bit of travel. Sorry, the details are need to know because I'm paranoid about anonymity.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

As a side note, I was engaged in a very interesting discussion last year at one of the FT do's. We were discussing reports that frequent the board concerning finding award availability but surprising the consensus around the table was that ability to spend miles wasn't so much the issue, rather the problem was finding time to make the most of them. Needless to say I gather both BA97 and flyclub were out of earshot at the time
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
I do all kinds of managerial things for an international media organization.

All my business travel is in back of the plane unless I am upgraded. Most of my leisure travel is in C or economy plus. Go figure.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Andrius
I do all kinds of managerial things for an international media organization.

All my business travel is in back of the plane unless I am upgraded. Most of my leisure travel is in C or economy plus. Go figure.
Mostly the same for me in terms of flight pattern. For me, FT has helped make the best out of a less than perfect situation. Not flying business for business doesn't mean I shouldn't use what I learn here to fly business for leisure .
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by Raffles
Leave the US and come to sunny Europe. Get yourself a well paid job with 25-30 days holiday per year (UK) up to 35 days per year (good old France and Germany). Forget that '10 days leave per year' nonsense in the US!

Spend the money from your well paid job on 5-6 weeks of overseas holidays per year. And think of all of those exciting weekends away you could have if you were based in Europe as well! You can probably fly to 20 different countries within 3 hours of London.
I would caution against too rosy a picture ^

While I absolutely agree with the benefit of long European-style holidays, there are some things that we hapilly endure without realizing that things might be a bit different. I am sure 41% income tax is one thing that necessitates frequent holidays so that you can get your mind off Chancellor Gordon Brown before killing yourself.

And another thing. I flew UA the other Sunday from London and they give out a British Sunday newspaper which has a name starting with "O" and which I don't knowingly buy. Well one hour into the flight I was beginning to realize why .

There was a letters' page following an earlier busybody crusading article berating the evils of international air travel and what should be done to stop it . In this carnival of deluded killjoy pinko hate, suggestions ranged from "taxing the airline fuel heavily", banning any airport development and (my favourite) allocating everyone a quota of air travel in miles per annum.

At least in the US I have never seen anyone peddling this very popular European lie about airline industry being propped up "by means of subsidizing jet fuel". Apparently jet fuel not being taxed at the same rate as petrol makes it "subsidized". Think about all this government-subsidized air we are breathing: thanks to the Government it is not taxed one penny!

Rant over.

Last edited by Andrius; Feb 13, 2006 at 12:56 pm
Old Feb 13, 2006, 1:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Continental OnePass, BA Executive Club, Tesco ;)
Originally Posted by ozzie
Lawyer. But then it shouldn't be your first choice for travel as most lawyers spend 99% of their time in their office. I'm just one of the ones who is outside their office 80% of the time.
What area of law are you in? Type of firm?
Old Feb 13, 2006, 1:11 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
The question was, Dear, what do you do for a living. Stir things I should think in your case

I am so sorry that you left the UK, but stay where you are. If we seem nice, just imagine what the rest must be like!!

What do you do for a living. I control badly behaved men.

Pucci, I did actually put my job in my post. Asking the question was an attempt at Aussie humour (like Dame Edna, you know!) In fact wit is not all she and I have in common

As to getting Pommie tickets, its not high on the Aussie prioirity list but we are mostly open to bribes and corruption (FT seems a good place to mention that) Given our background, this comes naturally.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA; Marriott; HH Gold,
Originally Posted by BOH
Didn't we meet in a suburb of LA once at that audition for.....
Your not Ivor Biggun are you or am i confusing you with Ben Dover? Don't tell me I'm confusing you with Phil McCrakken
Old Feb 13, 2006, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
Originally Posted by alex0683de
"Programs: BA Gold, BD *G, LH Sen*G, OK+ pleb, IC Royal Ambassador, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Silver, Marriott Silv"

How do you get all of that on leisure travel?

Through comps?
Oops, just noticed this!

BA Gold, IC RA / PC Plat, HH Silver : earned

LH : Silver earned, comped to Gold

BD, SPG, Marriott : comped from nothing

OK : still blue, so nothing to it!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 2:21 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Hangover cure tester
Fyfan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.