Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Carrying prescription drugs on board/into other countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver

What are the rules about travelling with prescription drugs? We're travelling to the following places, and will be carrying prescription drugs that require injections (so will be taking syringes): BUD, BKK, SYD, AKL, and SIN.

What's the rules on this, both in terms of what can be taken on board, and what can be taken into the countries? We can obviously get a letter from our doctor, but we don't want to get thrown into a Bangkok prison!!!

Last edited by schofs; Jan 9, 2006 at 4:13 pm
Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
Originally Posted by schofs
What are the rules about travelling with prescription drugs? We're travelling to the following places, and will be carrying prescription drugs that require injections (so will be taking syringes): BUD, BKK, SYD, AKL, and SIN.

What's the rules on this, both in terms of what can be taken on board, and what can be taken into the countries? We can obviously get a letter from our doctor, but we don't want to get thrown into a Bangkok prison!!!
Check with the medical section of the London based embassy of the country that you plan to travel to. They will know what is what.

Do you remember that case of that woman who was in prison in DXB for having codeine which can be bought over the counter in the UK but is illegal in DXB.

In australia, i recenetly saw an advert in the chemist stating that you should chekc whihc country you are travelling to and what is leagl and what isnt beofre travelling.

Check this part of the foreign and commenwealth website about risks of taking banned drugs with you into certain countries.....

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?...=1098377488839

and this for the bbc news website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/4528013.stm

Other examples that people may not be aware of are:

A small number of countries ban medication that is freely available over the counter or on prescription in the UK.

The restrictions usually apply to opiates, such as codeine, but other seemingly innocuous items can also catch out the unwary traveller. In Japan, for instance, the humble Vicks Inhaler is illegal, as are Actifed and Sudafed, another pair of common cold remedies.

● United Arab Emirates – Some prescription and over-the-counter medicines are illegal, particularly opiates.

● Oman – Similar to UAE.

● Japan – banned substances include stimulants (such as Vicks Inhalers and Sudafed) and psychotropic substances (excluding those designated by an ordinance of the Ministry of Health and Welfare).

● Singapore – Not all prescription drugs available in the UK are available in Singapore. Some over-the-counter medication in the UK requires a prescription in Singapore, e.g. Ibuprofen.

● Khat, a stimulant that is chewed in its natural leaf form, is legal in the UK but illegal in several western countries, including Norway, Sweden, Finland, the US and Canada.

My advice would be:

● Carry medicine in its original packaging so that it can be unmistakably identified. If it is prescription medicine, make sure the package has a pharmacist’s label with your name printed on it.

● Carry a copy of the prescription written by your GP.

● Carry the medicine as part of a larger medical kit.

● Take the telephone number of your GP. Other useful tips are:

● Carry the smallest quantities you need for the medicine so you can avoid charges of dealing.

● One source you can consult before travelling is the Home Office drugs line: 020 7035 0472. The Home Office can also issue permits for UK citizens to take drugs out of the UK but that does not obviate the need to comply with the regulations of other countries.

If you are carrying syringes, you will need a doctors note to confirm why these are necessary. You will need a note for when you are leaving the UK and why you want to take them on board (eg diabeties) as they may not let you through security with them or into certain countries with the syringes. Check with your doctor for the note. (you may also have to pay the doctor for this)

Hope this helps.......

Last edited by lhrworker; Jan 9, 2006 at 4:42 pm
Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
From BA Site

You should ensure that you take any medication you may require during the flight into the aircraft cabin with you. It is not possible for the cabin crew to refrigerate medication for you and in the unlikely event that your drugs need to be kept cool, a cool bag or vacuum flask may be appropriate. You may wish to discuss the best way to store medicine with your pharmacist.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Take a letter from you Doc on headed paper from your practice. While it would be impossible to offer reassurance for every circumstance, airport security, customs and immigration would be well versed on people travelling with all sorts of meds including syringes.

Edited to say - the previous poster offers the most concise info so you should be able to be well versed in all situations.

Last edited by pachamama; Jan 9, 2006 at 4:53 pm
Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:59 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lhrworker
Do you remember that case of that woman who was in prison in DXB for having codeine which can be bought over the counter in the UK but is illegal in DXB.
Not 100% correct. Codeine itself definitely cannot be purchased over the counter in the UK but certain painkillers etc have small quantities in them and these can be.

My wife is prescribed Codeine for a medical condition and it is tightly controlled being an Opiate derivative. It can be highly addictive (the late billionaire Howard Hughes develped an addiction for Codeine).

My wife and I watched news story of the woman arrested in DXB with surprise and relief. We have twice been to DXB on holiday and my wife just carried her supply in and out of the country quite freely, not even thinking there could be a problem . Thankfully no repurcussions resulted.

Last edited by BOH; Jan 10, 2006 at 1:01 am
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Not 100% correct. Codeine itself definitelty cannot be purchased over the counter in the UK but certain painkillers etc have small quantities in them and these can be.
Some types of Benylin contain codeine - be careful in the DXB
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by The Disco Volante
Some types of Benylin contain codeine - be careful in the DXB
So does Nurofen Plus, about 13mg per caplet. These are easily available from any pharmacy without prescription.

P.S. They are great for post flight hangovers too
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:47 am

Location: Reading, Cambridge & Edinburgh, UK, Sunnyvale, CA and Philadelphia, PA
Programs: Top Gear
I mananged to run out of my (prescription) medication while in HKG. I popped into the first pharmacy I saw and managed to get it over the counter, no questions. but ^
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
A very obvious thought but I know people that have lost or misplaced their prescription drugs whilst travelling so as well as taking all the paperwork to cover my drugs chest I also take twice as much as I need for any trip and I take one lot and Mrs takes the other. Wouldn't want to be travelling in Australia for 3 weeks without my drugs especially as some of the places we are going to are not very close to civilisation
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:59 am

From experience of someone I know who is diabetic and who was travelling with BA to New Zealand with insulin syringes, the single most important piece of information is that it is absolutely ESSENTIAL to carry a doctor's note. BA staff may refuse boarding unless there is a medical note stating why the syringes must be onboard.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
A very obvious thought but I know people that have lost or misplaced their prescription drugs whilst travelling so as well as taking all the paperwork to cover my drugs chest I also take twice as much as I need for any trip and I take one lot and Mrs takes the other. Wouldn't want to be travelling in Australia for 3 weeks without my drugs especially as some of the places we are going to are not very close to civilisation
You should be aware that most towns (even very small) have a local pharmacy. In addition to this, should you be a British, Irish, Kiwi, Swedish, Finnish, Dutch, Maltese or Italian citizen, you are entitled to use Medicare - the Australian National Heath Service. This includes the obtaining medicines through PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme) which supplies subsidised prescription medications.

Having experienced both Australian and British public health systems, I can tell you that I would much prefer to be sick in the Australian system. Having said that, both countries are very lucky to have their respective systems - let's just hope both governments continue to fund them!

More information can be found here:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...llers/vtta.htm
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
syringes

Originally Posted by jameslon
From experience of someone I know who is diabetic and who was travelling with BA to New Zealand with insulin syringes, the single most important piece of information is that it is absolutely ESSENTIAL to carry a doctor's note. BA staff may refuse boarding unless there is a medical note stating why the syringes must be onboard.

Hope this helps.
I carry medication with me on all flights (insulin with syringe pen type contraption). I do make sure I also have the letter from my doctor detailing why I need to carry these, however i have never been searched so never really needed it (not sure if the needle tip would show up on the x-ray ...guess it just looks like a pen??)

I'd suggest making sure yuo have a doc's letter with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.