Wiki Posts
Search

nostalgia time - remember these?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
nostalgia time - remember these?

• Helicopter shuttle between Heathrow and Gatwick?
  • The short hop from Heathrow to Birmingham?
  • 'Turn up and fly' shuttle service?
  • anyone think of any other relics?
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:14 am

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
Originally Posted by astralclouds
remember it well, was my first ever business trip by air, back '75, '76'ish. Was mighty, mighty impressed when I flew on the Monday morning LHR-GLA.

I was a bit slow in getting boarded as a newbie and held back in the crush, was towards the back of the queue, then all of a sudden boarding was stopped, as the plane was full, shock horror, going to be late for meeting, then BA good to their word put 10/15 of us on another Trident (arhhh...) and off we went to GLA.

I was easily impressed in those days... ^
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:16 am

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
  • A big, empty barn called Terminal 4
  • Flights to the Far East with stops in the Middle East
  • LHR - ANC - NRT
  • The No Smoking signs going off within 10 seconds of take-off and people reacting as though they'd been deprived of the weed for a month
Probably shouldn't have included the last one as the memories evoked are not best described as nostalgic!
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:34 am

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
Originally Posted by Steady-EDI
[*]LHR - ANC - NRT
Oh yes, the ANC stopover and the brief encounter with the stuffed polar bear in the transit lounge, but the real heroes weren't going to NRT we were going on to the old Osaka airport, that IIRC was the best part of 20 hours from LHR.

Another nostalgia point, "In the widest Club Seat in the air..."
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA
Originally Posted by phreegreens
Oh yes, the ANC stopover and the brief encounter with the stuffed polar bear in the transit lounge, but the real heroes weren't going to NRT we were going on to the old Osaka airport, that IIRC was the best part of 20 hours from LHR.

Another nostalgia point, "In the widest Club Seat in the air..."
I can't remember, was LHR-SVO-NRT before or after LHR-ANC-NRT? A choice between long queues guarded by silent gun toting border guards or polar bears in glass cages.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:51 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
[list][*]anyone think of any other relics?
LHR decor.
Tie Rack.
BMI's business strategy.
New Labour.

But I digress...

Tempted to veer even further OT as this is the BA board after all: maybe addressed in an earlier thread but has anyone read the Imogen Edwards Jones book Imogen Edwards Jones book?
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by JeremyAO
I can't remember, was LHR-SVO-NRT before or after LHR-ANC-NRT? A choice between long queues guarded by silent gun toting border guards or polar bears in glass cages.
The polar route via ANC to Tokyo was developed in the 1960s when jet aircraft had the range and transiting communist airspace was not easy for western carriers. The SVO route began around 1970 in the wake of Detente and was at least two hours shorter.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by virtualtroy
has anyone read the Imogen Edwards Jones book?
Its entertaining. I'm not sure how accurate it is. Perhaps bealine can tell us
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Concorde
Heath Row

Last edited by fbgdavidson; Jul 20, 2005 at 12:40 pm
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Gate 44 at MAN- the Shuttle lounge, which was more like a Portacabin on the side of Pier A. The great thing about it was you were at ground level and boarded the 757 up an outside staircase. You really got the sense of boarding a large plane.

The other delightful oddity was the little seat number stickers peeled off a large chart- MMB and OLCI doesn't have the same romance.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
  • Helicopter shuttle between Heathrow and Gatwick?
I think this was BCal. But how about British Airways Helicopters, before they were sold to Robert Maxwell. The scheduled service was from Penzance to St.Mary's, Isles of Scilly and from about 1983 also to Tresco, Isles of Scilly (landing on the cricket pitch).

Today the same service (and same helicopters!) are operated British International. But not the same without the old Speedwing on the side.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:43 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
The days when BA deleted the word "Airways" from their logo and all the planes just had "British" on them. Looked fantastic on Concorde and boy, did it upset my colleagues in the French aerospace company I worked for at the time

Whilst not necessarily nostalgic, it was not too long ago that if you flew anywhere in Europe with BA without a Saturday night stay you did not get much change out of £500 on alot of routes in Y. I guess thats one thing to thank our Orange friends for and the Ryanscare lot for
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:47 pm

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
I suppose the Concorde itself would be just too obvious for me to mention. Man I'm gutted though that in '02 I exchanged something with a friend for 125,000 miles, but simply had to use them to travel WT+ to Oz for my bro's wedding - if only had booked Concorde o.w. to JFK, and back in whatever, then paid cash to Oz.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Steady-EDI
[list][*]A big, empty barn called Terminal 4
A small empty nissen hut masquerading as a terminal at Stansted... Come to think of it the 'new' terminal at Stansted used to be pretty relaxing before O'Leary turned up
Old Jul 20, 2005, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
anyone think of any other relics?
The New Seekers being commissioned to sing a song/jingle:-
Sunshine and showers
Make up the weather
Go together
Like British Airways
And Suuuuuuuuuperflight ...
Now where was that bucket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.