Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 8, 03, 10:44 am   #1

BA Standby Policy

Can you standby on a different BA flight if you purchased tickets on another BA flight? Its for London-Dublin.
flychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 03, 10:51 am   #2

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I think the answer is yes if you have a flexi ticket.

In practise some people have been allowed to do it on a cheapo but it is not the norm.
CT-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 03, 10:58 am   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
What sort of fare have you bought? What are the rules? Is it a changeable ticket or not?

BA fare rules don't allow standing by for an earlier flight on a cheap non-changeable ticket. If you ask, sometimes the answer will be yes, sometimes it'll be no. If the answer is yes, it will only be as a concession or goodwill gesture.

Of course, the better your reason for asking, the better your chances - my last success was a day of thunderstorm-related delays, when the immediately previous EDI-LHR flight was actually leaving at about the time that my booked flight was supposed to depart.
Old Sep 8, 03, 12:11 pm   #4

I don't have a good excuse except I'm cheap and don't want to pay an extra $100. Looks like I'd have to rethink this.
flychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 03, 12:14 pm   #5

I was put on an earlier GLA/LHR flight last week when on a cheap ticket. I was 2 hrs early for my flight so asked at check in - told that ticket was non-flexi so not possible. Then went to ticket desk and was told the same.
Finally I went to the lounge and asked there - was told flight was full. 5 mins before the earlier flight was due to leave, the BA lady came up to me with my new boarding pass... Seat 1C..
It pays to keep asking!

[This message has been edited by seblee (edited 09-08-2003).]
seblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 03, 2:35 pm   #6

What about an award ticket (in WC)? Does there have to be availability for award seats in order to stand-by for an earlier flight, or just any available seat will do? This is a LHR-LAX, BTW, so I don't know how much availability there would be anyway.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 03, 2:41 pm   #7

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by honu:
What about an award ticket (in WC)? Does there have to be availability for award seats in order to stand-by for an earlier flight, or just any available seat will do? This is a LHR-LAX, BTW, so I don't know how much availability there would be anyway.</font>
You can't just use any seat for an award ticket. They must have availability in award class. (1 member of this forum says he always can fly when he wants on an award but....)
I guess yiu mean WT not WC?

Also
CT-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 03, 2:54 pm   #8
Moderator: Travel Technology & Travel Photography

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by honu:
What about an award ticket (in WC)? Does there have to be availability for award seats in order to stand-by for an earlier flight, or just any available seat will do? This is a LHR-LAX, BTW, so I don't know how much availability there would be anyway.</font>
I've managed to get a revenue seat released during a trip when on an award, that was on a First/Concorde trip and had the first class lounge do it for me (I'm a a Gold).
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 03, 4:22 pm   #9

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
I've managed to get a revenue seat released during a trip when on an award, that was on a First/Concorde trip and had the first class lounge do it for me (I'm a a Gold). </font>
The matrons at CDG snubbed me saying that "new directives came down and they couldnt change award tix" this was on June 30. I only wanted to get to LHR a bit earlier so I could enjoy the Concorde Lounge before my flight on BA001, but they would have nothing of it.
FlyerTalk Member #1,038
thezipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 03, 4:30 pm   #10

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thezipper:
The matrons at CDG snubbed me saying that "new directives came down and they couldnt change award tix" this was on June 30. I only wanted to get to LHR a bit earlier so I could enjoy the Concorde Lounge before my flight on BA001, but they would have nothing of it.</font>
Do you have any status on BA? Not that it would be of much use at CDG
Old Sep 9, 03, 2:09 am   #11

Programs: QF WP
Quote:

I understand that airport ops are more concerned with bums on seats then inventory buckets. If it suits them to move you to an earlier flight (ie high loads on the late flight) and you wish to oblige, then they will do it, original booking class available or not.
mikalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 03, 9:22 am   #12
Senior Moderator; Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
2014 Secret Santa

Programs: LH SEN
look at the load factor of the particular earlier flight you would like to take using seatmap.com and then approach the gate agent of the earlier flight asking nicely if you could take the flight. If you have no luggage and there is space you will get the seat with 99% surity. Always works for me!

Regards Oliver
oliver2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 03, 11:57 am   #13

Programs: BA/VS Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
If you want to fly on an earlier flight than your booked one, it might be worth reminding the agent that if the answer is no, you will just be spending all that time drinking their free booze and eating their free nibbles
Markonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 03, 12:15 pm   #14

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by oliver2002:
look at the load factor of the particular earlier flight you would like to take using seatmap.com and then approach the gate agent of the earlier flight asking nicely if you could take the flight. If you have no luggage and there is space you will get the seat with 99% surity. Always works for me!

Regards Oliver
</font>
Is your 99% figure your own experience or is it based on some statistic? I know loads of people who are not allowed a standby or change simply because their fare doesn't allow it. Some airports have a very strict no-change policy, LHR's transfer desk is one of them.
Old Sep 10, 03, 8:43 pm   #15
Original Member

It all depends on who you deal with. A few years ago we were in Ireland, having used BA's "free trip anywhere in the world" [from some bygone promotion] to travel on EI, with all the attendant restrictions on back-of-the-plane award travel. Unfortunately our return flight coincided with EI's first strike in umpteen years, and a Sunday, and we *had* to get home. There weren't any BA staff about, and the Aer Lingus counterman wasn't enormously informed or helpful: he told us that we'd simply have to wait for the next available award seats out of Shannon. I sweet-talked him into finding a UK BA EC number for me (the US still being asleep) and explained the situation to the UK BA staff, who took a while to sort things out but eventually rebooked us through LHR. We'd arrived early, so wandered around Shannon for a while before our flight. Much to my surprise a gentleman came over and introduced himself as the head of BA's Irish operations. He apologised profusely, and on the transatlantic trip not only were we upgraded, but we also earned miles...

[disclaimer: status/in-the-profile comments/good luck may have had something to do with this]

an extreme circumstance, but proof that a great deal is left to discretion, if only one meets someone who is able to wield it. My general experience with BA has been that if you ask sweetly for something and are understanding and not demanding, you are very often very well-treated.

[This message has been edited by baobab (edited 09-10-2003).]
baobab is offline   Reply With Quote